Keratin Treatment Support Thread

LostInAdream

Hello ladies,

I wanted to know is there a major difference between QOD gold & maxx other than the price? I have used softliss in the past but it didnt get my hair straight enough Im a natural 4a/b. So I am hoping QOD can give me desired results . Any suggestions?

Last edited:

Diamond75

if you go up to monthly, you're gonna eventually straighten it. since that's not what you want, i'd say stay on your 2-3 course, letting the treatment wear off some before applying it again.

When you say going to applying it monthly will eventually straighten it, is that without doing the clarifying wash first?

Mecca_Goddess

When you say going to applying it monthly will eventually straighten it, is that without doing the clarifying wash first?

I think she meant that by doing treatments monthly you will be "layering" the BKT hence it will make your curl pattern straighter.

If you let the treat ment wear off some (doing it every 2 or 3 months) you will retain your curl pattern.

HTH

Mecca_Goddess

Hello ladies,

I wanted to know is there a major difference between QOD gold & maxx other than the price? I have used softliss in the past but it didnt get my hair straight enough Im a natural 4a/b. So I am hoping QOD can give me desired results . Any suggestions?

I have never used softliss or qod gold and my first treament was with Marcia, but when I did my second with qod maxx I noticed that it loosened my curl pattern significantly. Love it!

Its been 2 weeks since my last treatment with qod maxx and I'm considering doing another one. Would that be wise?

mstar

Luxury bacon
I did a henna on 7/13 and want to BKT my hair thats left out from my sew in. How long do you think I should wait..anyone using henna and bkt can answer this question...also do you think this is a good idea?
Wait until your hair feels back to normal following your henna treatment. For me, it takes about one week, with 2-3 deep conditions in that time period. Make sure your hair is moisturized, strong, and supple before you apply the BKT.

On my hair, I've found that the clarifying wash isn't enough to strip my BKT. So you're still layering the treatments if you do them monthly.

winona

Hello Ladies,

Next week I am going to visit my mom.

BACKGROUND
Last year my mom had to do a BC because her natural hair had heat damaged VERY BAD after about a year of progress. She was recovering from perms that were thinning her very fine hair. She was very sad Fast forward my moms hair is should length natural AGAIN with no heat except dcing. She has had braids (micros) in since her BC. She loves straight hair and does not like what she calls "nappy" hair. (Uggghh I hate that word because of the connotation she uses it in). Anyway recently she decided she was going to try and take care of her natural hair by herself. In the past this has lead to frustration and heat damage.

I am thinking BKT might be for her and all the threads I found have not been updated in awhile. Is there anyone still out there who has had long term success with this treatment? Can anyone recommend a stylist in the Maryland area who can do this for my mama? After reading the last 30 pages of this thread I am open to being a DIY for this first treatment but afterwards I wont be near so I need someone I can trust. I am looking at the Rejuvenol and Soft Liss Chocolate. Any suggestions? BTW I dont know my mom hair type (4a,4b,ect) is because I have never really seen it unaltered but I do know she has fine, thin strands. THANK YOU

Sorry for the long post I just want to help her achieve long healthy hair

Transformer

Bumping, I'm interested in the Salons that offer it. I know the Dominincan Salon(Sashelvis??) in Bowie uses Coppola??? and it's about $300.00. I've never tried it,but I did inquire about cost and type.

me-T

I think she meant that by doing treatments monthly you will be "layering" the BKT hence it will make your curl pattern straighter.

If you let the treat ment wear off some (doing it every 2 or 3 months) you will retain your curl pattern.

HTH

:yep: good lookin out mecca! applying it over and over w/o letting it wear off between treatments will loosen the curl to straightness

Mecca_Goddess

Do any ladies still use protein based conditioners? Its my understanding that because I bkt I only need to use moisturizing products....?

MarieB

@winona: I've been using BKT for about a year, and I have no complaints. I actually had slacked off for a while and just recently did one (about 2 weeks ago), and I had almost forgotten how great my hair feels!

@Mecca Goddess: I still use a protein conditioner about once a week; either Aphogee 2-minute or Mega-Tek. I think it helps maintain the balance.

winona

@winona: I've been using BKT for about a year, and I have no complaints. I actually had slacked off for a while and just recently did one (about 2 weeks ago), and I had almost forgotten how great my hair feels!

@Mecca Goddess: I still use a protein conditioner about once a week; either Aphogee 2-minute or Mega-Tek. I think it helps maintain the balance.

Thanks. Which one do you use?

winona

I did a search of the thread has anyone did the Soft Liss Starter kits?? There is less product but you get to test all three versions.

sheba1

Do any ladies still use protein based conditioners? Its my understanding that because I bkt I only need to use moisturizing products....?

Even with BKT moisture/protein balance is still important. I think you'll find that light protein treatments even help your BKT results to last longer.

I alternate between moisture, protein and clarify conditioners for cowash. I use aphogee 2 minute reconstructor on the days that I shampoo and DC.

MsRR

So I did a henna on my hair thats left out of my sew in on 7/13 and I BKT on 7/22. So far so good I really like my results..I used QOD Gold again and my hair is not dry or anything and it has a nice natural shine to it and body..I actually like the texture and feel of it better than my Boheyme Saharian weave. My last BKT treatment was March 6th and I wasn't all that impress but I'm glad I tried it again I really like it alot..Question, is there anyone else doing weave as a protective style and BKT...just wanted to know when you take your install down after you detangle and shampoo are you dong a BKT treatment on your hair before doing another install or just leaving the hair that will be braided along. Thx. Any help is appreciated.

I just had a thought I wonder how BKT would do on the Boheyme weave.

Last edited:

me-T

bkt #9-second with marcia teixeira
nothin special from the last time. just less fumes. if it weren't for the off the chain moisture retention, i'd go back to qod gold.
i detangled & dc'ed over night and shaved like an hr & a half off my time! will do from now on!

one big change though-i cut my hair to collarbone length. it was supposed to be to apl, but oh well:look: i'm in love with my thickness now. i know i'll have a better bsl the next go round.

Attachments

• cblcut.jpg
    cblcut.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 46
  • cblpony.jpg
    cblpony.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 43
  • cblswang.jpg
    cblswang.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 37

winnettag

Hello Ladies,

Next week I am going to visit my mom.

BACKGROUND
Last year my mom had to do a BC because her natural hair had heat damaged VERY BAD after about a year of progress. She was recovering from perms that were thinning her very fine hair. She was very sad Fast forward my moms hair is should length natural AGAIN with no heat except dcing. She has had braids (micros) in since her BC. She loves straight hair and does not like what she calls "nappy" hair. (Uggghh I hate that word because of the connotation she uses it in). Anyway recently she decided she was going to try and take care of her natural hair by herself. In the past this has lead to frustration and heat damage.

I am thinking BKT might be for her and all the threads I found have not been updated in awhile. Is there anyone still out there who has had long term success with this treatment? Can anyone recommend a stylist in the Maryland area who can do this for my mama? After reading the last 30 pages of this thread I am open to being a DIY for this first treatment but afterwards I wont be near so I need someone I can trust. I am looking at the Rejuvenol and Soft Liss Chocolate. Any suggestions? BTW I dont know my mom hair type (4a,4b,ect) is because I have never really seen it unaltered but I do know she has fine, thin strands. THANK YOU

Sorry for the long post I just want to help her achieve long healthy hair

I did a search of the thread has anyone did the Soft Liss Starter kits?? There is less product but you get to test all three versions.

Bumping for winona.

If you do her first treatment, maybe she would feel comfortable doing it herself?
Would she be cool paying hundreds for someone to do this service for her?

Sorry, I know nothing about Soft Liss.

fletgee

THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
- It's not cheap
- Requires a lot of heat for the first application up to 450 degrees of heat to seal the keratin into hair
- Some brands contain formaldehyde
- Some aldehydes have low hazard scores according to the Environmental Working Group
- It's temporary
- It's not a relaxer
- It's not for everybody

Ok, I understand what you wrote, but I am still confused. And I have a question.

My confusion:

It's temporary, it's not a relaxer (but it cost as much or more than a relaxer) I get that part. So what the heck is it-exactly?

My question:

Formaldehyde. Isn't that embalming fluid?

I just want to understand this. For some reason I'm not getting the concept of this product.

Caychica

I got my BKT today! Global Keratin 4% :grin:

I got some color in the front I'm growing out, ends looks kinda thirsty too :ohwell: I'll post a thread about it after I wash & blow dry Tues.

Bluetopia

ok so I'm getting a bit frustrated. :perplexed

I made an appt to get BKT done in about a week. And after 2 days of research, all the threads Im finding are about how to apply bkt and how it looks after etc etc.

None of that matters to me because my hairdresser is the one applying it and I already know what it looks like.

My personal concerns are

1.)How do I prep for the treatment?....is there something I should be doing before hand? (like when ppl get perms they dont wash their hair or scratch their scalp before hand....I have no clue what the do's and donts of pre BKT are)

2.) What products can/cant I use after the process? The only thing I've figured out from all my reading is that I cant wash for 4 days afterwards....and there have been some vague mention that some products help the BKT last longer ...but I haven't found any specifics.

3.) I'm 7 months post texlax so if there are any implications that I need to know about having 4inches of super coarse 4b hair and about BSL texlaxed hair, that would be helpful as well

HELP ladies....days of reading have left me tired and disenchanted. Perhaps I'm putting in the wrong search words or folks are so used to talking about this they dont go into specifics anymore. Any answers (or links to answers) would be much appreciated!!!

Just saw this thread today so hopefully some of my answers are in here.

TIA!!!

me-T

1.)How do I prep for the treatment?
i don't do anything special in the prior week. i scratch my scalp whenever. i would do a good dc though, right before the wash.
2.) What products can/cant I use after the process? just stay away from sulphates & salt/sodium chloride. other than that you're good. i've been using mostly elasta qp products lately

3.) I'm 7 months post texlax so if there are any implications that I need to know about having 4inches of super coarse 4b hair and about BSL texlaxed hair, that would be helpful as well
i started at 2 months post apl hair....i cant think of anything to tell you though, lol sorry.

mstar

Luxury bacon
So I did a henna on my hair thats left out of my sew in on 7/13 and I BKT on 7/22. So far so good I really like my results..I used QOD Gold again and my hair is not dry or anything and it has a nice natural shine to it and body..I actually like the texture and feel of it better than my Boheyme Saharian weave. My last BKT treatment was March 6th and I wasn't all that impress but I'm glad I tried it again I really like it alot..Question, is there anyone else doing weave as a protective style and BKT...just wanted to know when you take your install down after you detangle and shampoo are you dong a BKT treatment on your hair before doing another install or just leaving the hair that will be braided alone. Thx. Any help is appreciated.

I just had a thought I wonder how BKT would do on the Boheyme weave.
I BKT'd my entire head before getting my weave install. Since then, I've hennaed and BKT'd the leave-out by itself. So far, so good. :yep:

Ok, I understand what you wrote, but I am still confused. And I have a question.

My confusion:

It's temporary, it's not a relaxer (but it cost as much or more than a relaxer) I get that part. So what the heck is it-exactly?

My question:

Formaldehyde. Isn't that embalming fluid?

I just want to understand this. For some reason I'm not getting the concept of this product.
BKT is a temporary protective coating for the hair. Unlike relaxers, which break the chemical bonds of the hair, BKT merely coats the hair with keratin protein. Depending on your hair type and brand of BKT, it can temporarily straighten/smooth the hair.

Yes, formaldehyde is a chemical that is used in embalming fluid...and it's also used in most commercial brands of personal care products like shower gel and body lotion. Formaldehyde allows the keratin to bond to the hair, and makes the BKT treatment last for up to 3 months. HTH

Bluetopia

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! :grin:

1.)How do I prep for the treatment?
i don't do anything special in the prior week. i scratch my scalp whenever. i would do a good dc though, right before the wash.
2.) What products can/cant I use after the process? just stay away from sulphates & salt/sodium chloride. other than that you're good. i've been using mostly elasta qp products lately

i started at 2 months post apl hair....i cant think of anything to tell you though, lol sorry.