WL: I'm claiming it...

LaBelleLL

ohh southern bella, please share EXACTLY what you do to flat iron. and which one you use? i'm not ready for a length check but once I reach my goals, i'm going to start learning. i'm taking tips along the way for now.

eta: actually southernbella, I like how your hair in the earlier pics weren't exactly bone straight. i really love that look so i'd appreciate any pointers to getting that look.

Last edited:

sistatv

Sooo gorgeous!! Both of you betta WERK!

Southernbella.

ohh southern bella, please share EXACTLY what you do to flat iron. and which one you use? i'm not ready for a length check but once I reach my goals, i'm going to start learning. i'm taking tips along the way for now.

eta: actually southernbella, I like how your hair in the earlier pics weren't exactly bone straight. i really love that look so i'd appreciate any pointers to getting that look.

One thing that really helped me was WestndnBeauty's thread about deep conditioning before flatironing.

Basically, I wash, towel dry very well, then apply my conditioner like I would a relaxer. I go section by section, apply a generous amount, then smooth from root to tip. I put on a plastic cap (well, 2 of them) and sit under the dryer for 20 minutes.

I rinse, detangle, then blowdry. I use John Freida anti-frizz serum on each section (about 10-12 sections) and blowdry using a paddle brush. I make sure each section is almost completely straight before I move on to the next one.

Then I flat iron in small sections using the comb chase method. I typically put a little olive oil on each section before. I use the Croc 2 Infrared and I will never use another. Best iron I've ever owned, hands down!

If you don't like the bone straight look, just flat iron on a lower temp. I flat iron at 450:look:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
Beautiful hair all around! Gorgeous on the boards and even better in person! I really njoyed meeting you in person at the meet up last night. And I'm SO glad you wore your hair out. Eye candy for sure! :lick:

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
congrats to you! ETA: and gorgeous hair I might add, both you and dd.

Last edited:

Southernbella.

Congrats on hitting WL! I always stan for your hair! Are you going for HL now?

I think my ultimate goal will be TBL, but I'd be happy if I got to HL. I think WHIP length is a nice realistic goal for right now:yep:

Beautiful hair all around! Gorgeous on the boards and even better in person! I really njoyed meeting you in person at the meet up last night. And I'm SO glad you wore your hair out. Eye candy for sure! :lick:

I enjoyed meeting you guys too NJoy and Janet' and all the other ladies who came!

LaBelleLL

thanks for the info southern bella. and which blowdryer do you use?
and why do you use two plastic caps?

sorry for the barrange of questions but i'm sure you expect this from me by now. I want get it right the first time. :lol: I would hate to have a set back or waste my money on a flatiron or hair straightening products (none of which i own yet). thanks SO much!!!

Last edited:

Southernbella.

thanks for the info southern bella. and which blowdryer do you use?
and why do you use two plastic caps?

sorry for the barrange of questions but i'm sure you expect this from me by now. I want get it right the first time. :lol: I would hate to have a set back or waste my money on a flatiron or hair straightening products (none of which i own yet). thanks SO much!!!

No problem!:lol: I use 2 caps because my hair won't fit in one anymore:nono:. It looks funny but it gets the job done.

I use a conair tourmaline blowdryer (a stylist once told me that ceramic/tourmaline heat was better for your hair). I got it from CVS for $29.99, I think.

So far, so good. I haven't had any heat damage and my hair seems to be doing ok. I only straighten for length checks now, so maybe 3-4 times a year.

LaBelleLL

No problem!:lol: I use 2 caps because my hair won't fit in one anymore:nono:. It looks funny but it gets the job done.

I use a conair tourmaline blowdryer (a stylist once told me that ceramic/tourmaline heat was better for your hair). I got it from CVS for $29.99, I think.

So far, so good. I haven't had any heat damage and my hair seems to be doing ok. I only straighten for length checks now, so maybe 3-4 times a year.

thank you for saying this. THAT right here is what i'm deathly afraid of. :lol: glad that you're getting good results and will check those exact items out at least as a starting point. thanks again.

andromeda

*sings* Gorrr-geousss!

Excellent progress and your dd's hair is lovely (actually reminds me of mine, shrinkage and all). Such an inspiration!

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
*picks up jaw from ground*

Wow!! Congratulations to you and DD! Lovely hair. Thanks for sharing these updates.

NaturalPath

Congrats op you and your daughter have a beautiful set of hair. I have always been a stan of your hair, even prior to me becoming a member.

zoromo

You are one of the first ppl I started to look at concerning hair. I love how thick and healthy your hair looks! Congrats!!!

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
Congratulations! :happydance:

If it weren't for you, I would have never found this board, so I have you to thank for bringing me to the light and ditching glue-in weaves. You've been my inspiration (relaxed and now natural) since '07. You're my friend in my head. :giggle:

WriterGirl

Beautiful hair. I was so glad that I got to see it in person in all its glory at the Atlanta meetup. It's even more gorgeous in real life.:yep:

Your DD's hair is thick and lovely as well.

Rocky91

NYE side boob.
wow! lovely hair on both you and your daughter-i love the color of her hair! you'll make Whip length in a minute.