Rusk Smoother, Braids, WL, and questions

leona2025

Ok ladies I have found my holy grail of leave ins and I didn't even know I was looking for one. To get a good roller set I decided I needed a new product and I kept reading about Rusk Smoother and went out and bought it. I used it on my rollerset with PM Skinny Serum, which came out looking busted. I then added a little more Rusk and IC heat protectant and flat iron after my hair was dry. My hair is so soft and light. I love it and I will be buying it forever, lol. I want to get rid of all my conditioners and shampoos and just use there line. Does anyone use their shampoo and conditioner?

After doing my flatiron I did a length check and I'm just 1 inch from WL. I will definitely make it to WL by my B-day which was my original goal however I now have another problem. My ends are nasty. I really want to trim them 1 or 2 inches. Should I trim now, wait until I reach WL and trim, or wait until I'm a few inches past WL and then cut it back to WL? What would you do?

I'm going into braids for the summer. I'm going to have my cousin cornrow my hair in some designs with some fake hair. I want to have it redone every 2 or 3 weeks. That's when I would wash and DC, air dry and rebraid. How do you moisturize braids? What would be a good cheap synthetic hair to use? I want the braids to hang about WL. What length of hair would I need?

sunshinelady

I use the Rusk calm line. That's the only one worth using for type 4 hair IMHO.

Trim now unless you really just want to say you made WL. I hate seeing people with long hair with bad ends.

don't use cheap synthetic hair. Length depends on how tall you are.

loolalooh

After doing my flatiron I did a length check and I'm just 1 inch from WL. I will definitely make it to WL by my B-day which was my original goal however I now have another problem. My ends are nasty. I really want to trim them 1 or 2 inches. Should I trim now, wait until I reach WL and trim, or wait until I'm a few inches past WL and then cut it back to WL? What would you do?

If it were me, I would trim the 1 or 2 inches needed for healthy ends now. You're only 1 inch from WL so what's the harm in getting there with fresh, healthy ends a few months late. Plus, I believe that damaged ends can affect the rest of your healthy hair. (Splits moving up the hair shaft, damaged cuticles causing tangles, etc.) But do what you feel comfortable doing ... it's your hair. :grinwink:

I'm going into braids for the summer. I'm going to have my cousin cornrow my hair in some designs with some fake hair. I want to have it redone every 2 or 3 weeks. That's when I would wash and DC, air dry and rebraid. How do you moisturize braids? What would be a good cheap synthetic hair to use? I want the braids to hang about WL. What length of hair would I need?

I moisturize with braid spray daily. On wash days, I moisturize with whipped shea butter for heavier moisture. A cheap synthetic hair to use? Hard for me to answer that, since I tend to go with whatever looks and feels good in the store. Go for kanekalon or toyokalon (shinier) type ... as for brand, beats me. For the length of hair to use, yes it depends on your height. I would suggest measuring from the nape of your neck to where you want the braids to fall. Add about 2+ inches to that. Then buy hair length that is double that size. (E.g., if you want it to fall at about 10", go for hair that is about 24"-ish.)

ETA: I say double the size since you will have to fold the hair in half to braid in some cases.

HTH!

Last edited:

Nonie

Thanks ladies! Is 18 to 20 inch the longest hair in the beauty supply store?

That's the norm for human hair (I remember in 2003 having 22" or 24" human hair extensions too from a BSS) but I would guess synthetic can be longer as there's nothing hindering the lengths to which machines can make hair.

joib

You can trim 1/4 inch now but since you are planning to wear braids for the summer I would wait for any major trim until you take the braids out. Congrats on your progress. Where do you buy Rusk?