Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair?

Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair? (you can select more than one)

• To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)

Votes: 236 36.6%
  • To straighten or smooth my hair

Votes: 329 51.1%
  • To create a hairstyle with curls

Votes: 273 42.4%
  • Other (please share)

Votes: 36 5.6%
  • I do not rollerset my hair

Votes: 90 14.0%

• Total voters

Nenah

I'm doing this to not use direct heat and to have silky bouncey not weighed down hair.

Isis

Qetesh said:
i did my rollerset yesterday, it didnt turn out too well :mad: i cant get close enough to my roots, this can work if i then decide to flat iron my roots which is something i may do in the future but for now i am not putting any heat to my hair at all untill next year so i jus put some BTZ stiffhead on my edges and brushed my hair back then put on a scarf and slept on it, this morning i brushed all my hair into a large rollerset bun the roots are definatly wavy but from overnight they have flattened out, i actually got a compliment on my large floppy rollerset bun.:lol: i dont think it looks good, not like when i get it done at the salon, but i guess i jus need more practice, i really tried hard too :confused: i should post some pics if i can remember tonight after work ill take some.
Since I don't use heat and don't own a flatiron anyway, I use the ponytail method to get the roots straighter. I've been doing this since 2003 and it works well especially as I stretch into my 13th or longer week.
If you decide to try this, just make sure the ponytails are not too tight and that you're using safe fabric holders preferably soaked in olive oil (or any oil) first. I use Scunci Hair Hosiery ponytail holders. :)

I learned from Integrity's method

Last edited:

Qetesh

Isis said:
Since I don't use heat and don't own a flatiron anyway, I use the ponytail method to get the roots straighter. I've been doing this since 2003 and it works well especially as I stretch into my 13th or longer week.
If you decide to try this, just make sure the ponytails are not too tight and that you're using safe fabric holders preferably soaked in olive oil (or any oil) first. I use Scunci Hair Hosiery ponytail holders. :)

I learned from Integrity's method

i think your right, i am going to try again tonight its also good to have my hair up i did take it down when i came home from work. this is what it looked like and i used extra liso on my hair b4 the rollerset, i am not sure i like this stuff it coats my hair too much :ohwell:

Attachments

• rollerset1.jpg
    rollerset1.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 40

Gryphyn

I've done a lot of research about rollersetting this weekend I think I'm going to try it. I hope it gets my hair straight enough where I can give up my weekly hot comb use and get less heat damage. It should also help me with my goal of growing out my nape.:bouncegre

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I rollerset my hair to dry it into a curly style. Before I came to the board, I didn't even know you could get your hair straight with a rollerset. I always airdry also.

R

Reslnt1

I rollerset in order to dry my hair. I use Barry FLetcher's moisture silk mousse. It has jojoba and grape seed oil, rosemary, chamomile and nettle extract. I find that the hand blow drying makes my hair look really dry.

Chromia

I use it to dry my hair without using a blowdryer and for a smooth look without a flat iron or curling iron. I sit under my hood dryer with my rollers.

LovelyLionessa

Rollersetting is my next hair adventure. I got some mesh rollers that I plan on using to airdry and straighten and smooth my hair with.

Blu217

I rollerset because my hair HATES being straight; it looks bad, separates and flies away even when it's freshly washed (I use as little product as possible and no oily stuff; it hates that even more!) I can't wear wraps for the same reason.

I've been rollersetting for more than 20 of my 35 years; it's really the only thing my hair behaves for--the body, fullness and shine. And I don't pick out my curls, I comb them out. My hair is still full of curls and big coils (see siggy and avatar); I always thought it was funny when people would ask me why I comb out my rollersets. What else am I supposed to do with them?

InnerSoul

I voted for three choices:

1. to give my hair curls for styling

2. to straighten out new growth when I am so many weeks post relaxer

and

3. other: to give my hair volume!!

Determined22

I'm back on the rollersetting bandwagon. My hair was so much better when I did it, but I was just being lazy and airdrying, which my hair hates.

Puddles

On Cloud 9
amr501 said:
Hmmm......I have never worn rollersets, but I may start just to see how my hair reacts to it.

[SIZE=+2]Same here.
After seeing JenniferMD's hair........I really wanna try it.
[/SIZE]

shunta

Determined22 said:
I'm back on the rollersetting bandwagon. My hair was so much better when I did it, but I was just being lazy and airdrying, which my hair hates.

Girl, you are not alone. My hair HATES to be airdried, so I really dont have a choice but to rollerset.:perplexed

mw138

I chose the first three responses. Before LHCF, I would always use a hair dryer to dry my hair and then flat iron. I would then continue to flat iron throughout the rest of the week, which obviously was not good for my hair. Now, each week when I wash my hair, I do a rollerset and sit under my dryer. I rarely use my flat iron these days. My hair always turns out smooth and bouncy. I just have to figure out a way for my new growth to get smoothed out when I'm 9-12 weeks post. Around 12 weeks, which is my stretching limit, my roots get kind of crazy. :look:

Anyway, even though it's sometimes a pain to sit under the dryer for 50-60 minutes, it's almost always worth it because my hair turns out nice, the style stays for the entire week as long I pin curl my hair, plus, best of all, the overall health of my hair has greatly improved. I can't imagine ever using a flat iron every single day like I used to. :perplexed

wonderstar

whitneysimone said:
you ladies make me wish i knew how to rollerset..

i tried this weekend and it came out a hot mess... :perplexed

Easy, get someone to do it for you. There's no way I can rollerset my own hair. My hands held together cannot reach the ends of my hair if I roll the correct way to get smooth results. I would have to part my hair down the middle and roll on each side which I'm still to lazy to do:nono:.

MrsHouston

Rollersets are my fav hair style. They keep my hair healthy and i love the look of them...so soft and full of body:)

bablou00

I rollerset for the sleek, smooth look it gives my hair. I can go a couple of days w/o washing and my hair still looks moisturized and smooth. I love to wear it out curly or pulled in a up do.

charmtreese

I rollerset my hair to dry it as well as straighten and smooth it. If I only airdry my hair it turns out crinkly and hard to style (even though I only wear my hair styled in claw clips and buns, it never looks as neat when I air dry). Howver, I do air dry my roller set for about a 1 1/2 hours (I use this time to do laundry and pick-up around the house) then go under the soft bonnet dryer for another hour or so. Useing Medium heat on low speed for a 1/2 hour and cool air on high speed for another 1/2 hour to forty-five minutes. I love the results from doing this. :yep: