Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair?

Why Do You Rollerset Your Hair? (you can select more than one)

• To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)

Votes: 236 36.6%
  • To straighten or smooth my hair

Votes: 329 51.1%
  • To create a hairstyle with curls

Votes: 273 42.4%
  • Other (please share)

Votes: 36 5.6%
  • I do not rollerset my hair

Votes: 90 14.0%

• Total voters

Isis

And how has it worked for you?

For me, when I first came to LHCF, I rollerset my hair to airdry and straighten it only, using the largest magnetic rollers I could find. It was something new I learned to do after giving up all heat, and it worked. After rollersetting, I would braid my hair for a braidout, or put it up in an updo or bun. Now, I'm experimenting wearing my rollerset without braiding it up, using the scarf methods I've learned from Sylver2 and SouthernGirl. How has rollersetting your hair worked for you?

You can check more than one:
to dry your hair (by airdrying or hair dryer)
to straighten or smooth your hair
for a hairstyle with curls
other
I do not rollerset my hair

Ladylynn

Great topic, I actually do all three. Before I learned about roller setting I was absolutely convinced that roller setting would not give me a sleek and shiny style. I always knew that heat was bad for my hair so I use to air dry via the pony tail method. In the morning I would flat iron and curl my hair under and wrap it nightly. I did this once a week. I stopped doing this method because my hair would have no bounce after about day three. So finally I got up the nerve to master roller setting and every since I have been so happy. My hair is a lot healthier. When I air dry my roller set, it allows my hair to dry smooth, gives my hair curl and bounce, and it's the healthiest thing for my relaxed hair. I normally wear my hair in a doobie. Roller setting also allows me to wash my hair twice a week because I don't have to flat iron. I do occassionally flat iron the roots of my hair with my 1/2 inch ceramic iron on low.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
When I used to rollerset, it was for the top three reasons in your poll:
To dry my hair (by airdrying or using a hair dryer)
To straighten or smooth my hair
To create a hairstyle with curls

But most of the time, it was to have decent looking hair that was bouncy whether it was curly or sleek/straight. Sometimes, my hair didn't look great after I blowdried it. For some reason, my hair only looked great after blowdrying if my mom did it...it's weird...

webby

Think Slim
I rollerset to dry using hard hat dryer.
It also makes my ends silky smooth and the rest of my hair is nice and straight, minus the direct heat.

I have much more body than I ever did when I blow dried directly. Rollersetting is my only form of drying my hair, seems less damaging on my hair.

Jewell

I no longer roller set my hair, but when I used to, I did it to smooth my hair without using a flatiron or curling iron...I would rollerset, oil my hair and scalp, and wrap it. My wraps would fall sleeker every day, and the rollerset left just a bump at the ends.

I voted for the top three options. Whether my hair is stright or curly I love big bouncy hair. This is also good for me because I hate blowdryers.

Chaya

I rollerset my hair with a hard bonnet dryer to dry it smooth, sleek with bouncy curls. Plus my hair seems to have thrived this way. I may blowdry my hair right after my relaxer but for every wash thereafter it is strictly rolersetting.

L

lkg4healthyhair

RabiaElaine said:
I rollerset to dry my hair (I use a bonnet hair dryer).

I also rollerset to straighten and smooth my hair.

ditto

when I was at home I rollerset and airdry. I add WGHO so it will be nice and shinny when i take out the rollers and it helps it dry faster also.

SandySea

I rollerset mainly for texture and fullness. I can't get the same stylability without rollersetting. Also, when I rollerset, it's like a have a different head of hair--it's softer, fuller, and bouncier. I found that, when I was airdrying, my hair seemed more dry and I had more breakage because my ends weren't smooth. That method just didn't work for me. Rollersetting is definitely worth the extra time and effort for me.

ccd

To dry my hair ( under my hair dryer)
To straighten
To do curly sets sometimes
And other: my hair is much more healthier as a result of rollersetting....I like airdrying for the wash and go look or wet buns but I think too much of that can also take a toll on your hair....

I like to alternate but I mostly do rollers

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

ccd said:
To dry my hair ( under my hair dryer)
To straighten
To do curly sets sometimes
And other: my hair is much more healthier as a result of rollersetting....I like airdrying for the wash and go look or wet buns but I think too much of that can also take a toll on your hair....

I like to alternate but I mostly do rollers
CCD, you have gorgeous hair. What is your regime? I am finding that my hair is suffering from too much airdrying and after trying it since October, I might go back to rollersetting and sitting under the dryer -- at least for 20 minutes and then airdrying. I am really trying to cut back on heat, so I dont want to overdo it. TIA for your responses.

pink_flower

I picked the top 3

For my hair, rollersetting has stopped the shedding,breakage and tangles I experienced with airdrying. I airdry occasionally (when Im lazy) but mostly do sets now. I only wish I discovered this earlier :look:

Isis

I love the responses ladies - thank you! Seems like there are various reasons for rollersetting and the common result I'm seeing is healthier, bouncier hair. :yep:

BklynHeart said:
I've been rollersetting my hair for about 15 years, and it seems to make my perms last longer.

That's a long time to be rollersetting your hair BklynHeart. I didn't know it can make perms last longer, that sounds like another great benefit. Have you gain good length also from rollersetting?

Last edited:

Isis

pookeylou said:
I did a rollerset recently to try a new style on my natural hair...without heat.
So would you recommend rollersetting, without heat, for other natural heads?

albane

With a few interruption whenI was completing my studies, I have been rollersetting since the age of 6, ie for 19 years. Most of the time, I dry under the hard hat and I dont mind using heat.

I rollerset for texture and fullness. Most of the time I will rollerset using the biggest meshrollers, with a straight look. From time to time, I will use smaller roollesr to create curls. My husband loves the style and the feeling he gets touching the hair so bouncy.
I resumed rollersetting after my studies at his request: this is clearly the only way for me to get a nice hair and that was exactly what my mother repated me during my youth.
The only trouble is that, with my long or very long hair, the rollerset is very cumbersome Despite all the training I had, it remains a weekly,sometimes twice a week, painful ordeal.

star

What products do you use with your rollerset? I am looking to use this method to staighten my hair to avoid the blow dryer. I am going to get the rollers you have and not sure what product will help me get that straight look. Do you use paper with the rollers? :)

Isis said:
And how has it worked for you?

For me, when I first came to LHCF, I rollerset my hair to airdry and straighten it only, using the largest magnetic rollers I could find. It was something new I learned to do after giving up all heat, and it worked. After rollersetting, I would braid my hair for a braidout, or put it up in an updo or bun. Now, I'm experimenting wearing my rollerset without braiding it up, using the scarf methods I've learned from Sylver2 and SouthernGirl. How has rollersetting your hair worked for you?

You can check more than one:
to dry your hair (by airdrying or hair dryer)
to straighten or smooth your hair
for a hairstyle with curls
other
I do not rollerset my hair

Isis

star said:
What products do you use with your rollerset? I am looking to use this method to staighten my hair to avoid the blow dryer. I am going to get the rollers you have and not sure what product will help me get that straight look. Do you use paper with the rollers? :)

Star - no, I don't use papers with my magnetic rollers. The "straight" look comes from the rollers and the technique of rollersetting more than the product, IMO. My leave-in alone will get me this look (Nexxus Headress), although I apply some oil on top of it. I apply the leave-in to dripping wet hair after I've rinsed out my conditioner, to detangle, moisturize and seal in the moisture. When I roll up my hair, I make sure it is very taut - no slack at all - and very smooth on the rollers. The hair must be wet to stick to the roller smoothly as the hair is rolled up. If the ends dry a little while doing this, then add more leave-in or water. I haven't mastered this art yet but I'm getting much better. All of this takes practice but it's worth it. There are threads showing step-by-step how to rollerset.

Some like Allandra and Albane use mesh rollers for the same result. I just haven't tried those rollers yet.

Last edited:

tryn2growmyhair

Isis said:
Some like Allandra and Albane use mesh rollers for the same result. I just haven't tried those rollers yet.

@Albane and Isis: Albane do you use those really thick mesh rollers that can only be found in France? Some of the fancy salons on the East Coast used to use them -- they used to cost like $40 for 12 here -- but can be bought for fairly cheaply in the Passage de L'Industrie area in Paris. The reason I ask is that I have had the most success with plastic (magnetic) rollers where I literally smooth the hair on to the roller, as Isis mentioned. That's the only way I can get a smooth, non-crinkly set. The Parisian mesh rollers were a close second. The cheap mesh rollers that I have bought at American BSS stores do not work for me. The Parisian rollers have very thick wire and have an almost fabric mesh coating as opposed to the thin mesh coating of the American ones. I am sorry to go on and on about these rollers, I just feel that that is an important part of getting the set right.

Also, I have to use endpapers with the mesh rollers and, as a former hairdresser pointed out to me, if endpapers are used incorrectly they can do more harm than good.

I have found that I am not a good enough rollersetter to use mesh rollers. For a very smooth set on my fine hair, I have to use magnetic rollers.

star

Thanks I can't wait to start this venture. :)

Isis said:
Star - no, I don't use papers with my magnetic rollers. The "straight" look comes from the rollers and the technique of rollersetting more than the product, IMO. My leave-in alone will get me this look (Nexxus Headress), although I apply some oil on top of it. I apply the leave-in to dripping wet hair after I've rinsed out my conditioner, to detangle, moisturize and seal in the moisture. When I roll up my hair, I make sure it is very taut - no slack at all - and very smooth on the rollers. The hair must be wet to stick to the roller smoothly as the hair is rolled up. If the ends dry a little while doing this, then add more leave-in or water. I haven't mastered this art yet but I'm getting much better. All of this takes practice but it's worth it. There are threads showing step-by-step how to rollerset.