Which oils don't work well for you?

WomanlyCharm

I don't think my hair likes amla oil AT ALL. :(

I pre-pooed with it, then washed and deep conditioned like I normally do...hours later, my hair was so dry and crunchy I was like :eek: !

Cut it out of my routine the next wash, my hair was fine.

Tried amla oil again a few weeks later...the same dry crispy results.

And I've also tried using different brands of coconut oil on my hair...each time, I break out terribly on my scalp and around my hairline. I can eat it without a problem, but can't use it topically. :(

What oils don't work well for you?

navsegda

WomanlyCharm said:

I pre-pooed with it, then washed and deep conditioned like I normally do...hours later, my hair was so dry and crunchy I was like :eek: !

And I've also tried using different brands of coconut oil on my hair...each time, I break out terribly on my scalp and around my hairline. I can eat it without a problem, but can't use it topically. :(

Hmm...I only use two oils--Dabur Vatika and Dabur Amla Lite. I'm not a fan of the Vatika smell (but I love the smell of Amla Lite), but both oils have worked well for me.

Arcadian

olive oil. (ok so MOST oils just do me wrong) I find that using the smallest amount possible works...and in my case thats like a few dribbles. I liked Amla quite a lot but soon as I ran out I just kinda left it alone. I may go back to it though. Now I use a combo of jojoba and clear emu oil so I can just use this stuff up.

I can use quite a lot of coconut oil in my DC though which makes it really soft and happy, but can't do that as a daily sealer on my hair. :ohwell:

-A

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I have to say olive oil. Not only was it way too heavy for my hair, it made me breakout all over my forehead, nape and neck

Last edited:

SohoHair

Olive Oil. When I first joined I was doing hot oil treatments with it and adding it to my condioners. After a few week I was just glad I had hair left. :( My scalp was angry and my hair was all tangly and sad. But I do cook with it everyday, I have for years. Go figure...

adw425

I've used castor, jojoba, hemp seed, shea, coconut, monoi, meadowfoam, almond, olive, soybean, sunflower, camellia, peach kernel and red palm oils. I've tried dabur amla; I've tried mixing amla powder in oils and I've tried brahmol amla oil, which is a combo of many different oils, including amla, and my hair just hates it, too. It dries it out terribly on wet hair. On dry hair, it turns my hair to straw. It is not even any good for my hair when I add it to conditioner. My hair just does not like amla oil in any form.

scorpian

WomanlyCharm said:

Have you tried to use a moisturizer first then seal with the amla the night before shampooing?I apply Qhemet olive cream detangler to dry hair then seal with a generous coating of amla oil then put my hair in big braids and tie it up with a satin scarf or put on a satin bonnet.The next morning it is very soft and noticeably thicker. This also works well with store bought moisturizers like organics liquid leave in hair mayo sealed with amla.I have also left this in for a few days before shampooing and cond and I've have great results.
Amla by itself made my hair hard as a prepoo but applying the moisturizer to dry hair and then sealing with amla and braiding the hair up and tying it down made a big difference in the end result.HTH

dlewis

Carrot oil

Sweet almond oil

I make these oil work and to use them up I mixed them with conditioners and use them when I was doing CW's.

Cichelle

The only oil that works for me is coconut oil and even then I have to use it in a particular way. Most other oils make my hair dry and crunchy. Olive oil is the WORST.

Arcadian

you know, this is interesting! I wonder why so many of us has issues with olive oil?

Straight OO on my hair just makes it brittle and crunchy feeling. dosen't matter if its extra virgin super duper natural either, I just can't use it to seal my hair.

-A

WomanlyCharm

This is definately interesting!

Amla oil works for almost everyone in this thread...but not for me.

Many of you can't use Olive oil...my hair thinks it's like fine wine. :lol:
My hair comes out super soft and happy with this stuff.

sareca

I haven't had any bad experiences, but my hair definitely has its favorites.

Amla (love)
Macadamia nut oil (love)
Kemi Oyl (love)
Camellia (likes a lot)
Avocado (likes a lot)
Grapeseed oil (likes a lot)
jojoba oil (likes with others)
emu oil (likes with others)
coconut oil (can take it or leave it)
castor oil (can take it or leave it)
olive oil (can take it or leave it)

ETA: My favorite mix at the moment is jojoba, kemi, grapeseed, emu and MSM.

Last edited:

InnerSoul

My hair has yet to meet a oil that it didn't like. I love olive, coconut and sweet almond oil. Other oils such as hemp seed, jojoba, etc.. were already in some of my shampoos and conditioners.. my hair responds well to all of them.:)

One oil that I do not like mineral oil it makes my hair STIFF!!!:(

although my moisturizer has petrolatum in it, but it is so far down on the ingredient list that there is no adverse affect on my hair from it.;)

mochamadness

Going the Distance
My hair hate straight up EVOO and coconut oil. I'm ok if I mix them w/ other oils, but if I used them straight from the bottle my hair ends up a hard mess.

C

CaliJ

The only oil I can use straight out of the bottle is Jojoba, all other oils I have to mix with other things.

LocksOfLuV

Olive oil on my dry hair is a no-no. It's heavy and greasy, and makes my hair crunchy. Now add it to my deep conditioner and it is slip city.

Castor Oil/Jamaican Black Castor oil-a hot sticky mess for my hair.

Arcadian

LocksOfLuV said:
Olive oil on my dry hair is a no-no. It's heavy and greasy, and makes my hair crunchy. Now add it to my deep conditioner and it is slip city.

Castor Oil/Jamaican Black Castor oil-a hot sticky mess for my hair.

I still have a bottle of castor oil that I now use for my feet instead:lol: My hair just said NO!

-A

Tee

adw425 said:
I've used castor, jojoba, hemp seed, shea, coconut, monoi, meadowfoam, almond, olive, soybean, sunflower, camellia, peach kernel and red palm oils. I've tried dabur amla; I've tried mixing amla powder in oils and I've tried brahmol amla oil, which is a combo of many different oils, including amla, and my hair just hates it, too. It dries it out terribly on wet hair. On dry hair, it turns my hair to straw. It is not even any good for my hair when I add it to conditioner. My hair just does not like amla oil in any form.

Waving to my oil loving friend. (Some on your list I am very curious about!)

I just didnt like the smell of the Alma. I will try out the lite if I can find it when I purchase products again.

LovelyLionessa

I think I'm ready to let my WGO go. I used to just used on damp hair after washing, which was okay but I just cannot deal with the smell when I attempt putting it on dry hair.

adw425

Letitia said:
Waving to my oil loving friend. (Some on your list I am very curious about!)

I just didnt like the smell of the Alma. I will try out the lite if I can find it when I purchase products again.

Waving back...Just received some fractionated coconut oil, but haven't tried it yet. It doesn't even feel like an oil.