Where to purchase Lye Relaxers??

jovan787

Hey Ladies

I hear so much about how lye relaxers are better than no-lye relaxers and I really want to try a lye relaxer but I cant find them anywhere :( Ive checked Sally, the 2 BSS's in my small college city, and I did a google search on-line and nothing :cool:. Does anyone know of a website where I can order it or anyone in the Chicago area that knows of a BSS where I can go and buy it?

TIA Ladies:D

preciousjewel76

jovan787 said:
Hey Ladies

I hear so much about how lye relaxers are better than no-lye relaxers and I really want to try a lye relaxer but I cant find them anywhere :( Ive checked Sally, the 2 BSS's in my small college city, and I did a google search on-line and nothing :cool:. Does anyone know of a website where I can order it or anyone in the Chicago area that knows of a BSS where I can go and buy it?

TIA Ladies:D

Sally's and BSS sell tons of lye relaxers. I suspect you're looking at the wrong thing (maybe). Lye relaxers are typically sold in tubs of 15 oz. or more. They should say "lye relaxer" or "no base relaxer" on them. No-lye relaxers are sold in boxed kits (like what you see at drugstores). Lye relaxers are usually sold right next to no-lye types. Also, lye relaxers will often say "for professional use only" on the tub.

Some lye brands you'll find at Sally's:

Silk Elements (bronze colored tub)
Motions (yellow tub)
Elasta QP (white tub)

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

jovan787

preciousjewel76 said:
Sally's and BSS sell tons of lye relaxers. I suspect you're looking at the wrong thing (maybe). Lye relaxers are typically sold in tubs of 15 oz. or more. They should say "lye relaxer" or "no base relaxer" on them. No-lye relaxers are sold in boxed kits (like what you see at drugstores). Lye relaxers are usually sold right next to no-lye types. Also, lye relaxers will often say "for professional use only" on the tub.

Some lye brands you'll find at Sally's:

Silk Elements (bronze colored tub)
Motions (yellow tub)
Elasta QP (white tub)

Hope that helps!

Thanks Precious!!:D I figured they came in tubs but I didnt look out for anyting labled "no base relaxers" so Ill be sure to do that when I go back.

Im going to go back to the BSS's to take another look. When I went to Sally's I asked the manager and she told me they didnt sell them :(

preciousjewel76

jovan787 said:
Thanks Precious!!:D I figured they came in tubs but I didnt look out for anyting labled "no base relaxers" so Ill be sure to do that when I go back.

Im going to go back to the BSS's to take another look. When I went to Sally's I asked the manager and she told me they didnt sell them :(

Really? Huh. There are shelves of these at the Sally's I've been to. They're technically only supposed to sell them to licensed cosmetologists, though. I never had a problem buying it off the shelf. Here's a pic of the Motions Oil Relaxer:

Other brands to look out for:
Bantu
Lady Velvet
Vitale
Affirm
Design Essentials

***NOTE***
I am not recommending all of these (I currently use Silk Elements and have used Design Essentials in the past), I'm just throwing out some names.

jovan787

preciousjewel76 said:
By the way, my boyfriend is from Champaign. I doubt that he could recommend any BSS, though!:lachen:

If you can't find any at a store, try ordering online from Golden Mart Beauty Supply:

http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/hacapr.html

Thanks soooo much for all of your help Precious!!!!:D i was hoping to find the ORS lye relaxer because it was the best no-lye relaxer ive ever used but if I cant Ill probaly use silk elements. Im really excited now :grin:

crlsweetie912

jovan787 said:
Thanks soooo much for all of your help Precious!!!!:D i was hoping to find the ORS lye relaxer because it was the best no-lye relaxer ive ever used but if I cant Ill probaly use silk elements. Im really excited now :grin:
Go to the BSS for the ORS Lye. It's in a lighter green jar with a dark green top. I see it everywhere now.

preciousjewel76

crlsweetie912 said:
Go to the BSS for the ORS Lye. It's in a lighter green jar with a dark green top. I see it everywhere now.

I haven't actually been in a BSS in a while now (slooowly recovering PJ), bt I'll be on the lookout for this one. I have about one more application's worth of SE left. I was thinking about trying the ORS lye when I've used up the SE.

preciousjewel76

MamaBraidedIt said:
So you don't have to add anything to a lye relaxer like activator? I'm thinking about switching to lye.

Thanks in advance.

Nope, lye relaxers are ready to use. You use them straight outta the tub. No-lye relaxers are sold in kits because you have to mix the activator with the base.

MamaBraidedIt

preciousjewel76 said:
Nope, lye relaxers are ready to use. You use them straight outta the tub. No-lye relaxers are sold in kits because you have to mix the activator with the base.

O, okay. Thank you preciousjewel for the clarification! :D