What if you didn't trim for a whole year?

tlmack

What if you didn\'t trim for a whole year?

Do you think you would be able to see the complete 6" of growth in your length?

I wonder b/c my hairdresser is on the every 8 weeks rule. It seems like I need it, but maybe I can't tell the growth b/c it's always being trimmed off?

Your thoughts?

PretteePlease

#fakeworkouts
Re: What if you didn\'t trim for a whole year?

i think it depends on how much growth you get per year, how healthy your hair starts out, and how well you keep your hair up ie resisting heat!

tlmack

I've got to resist heat! It'll help my ends in the long run. I've really got to resist the temptation to touch up my kitchen.

Which would also make it hard to shampoo more frequently.

I've got to figure this all out.

My main goal is length, but maybe my press is getting in the way? I'm confused.

Carlie

I haven't trimmed in 6 mths and plan to go as long as I can without. So far my ends are still healthy...no splits. My hair may not be totally even but I'm not concerned about that...my only concern right now is keeping my hair healthy and retaining growth. So far, so good.

Lovelylocs

I hardly ever trim. I think it depends on how your ends are when you start this no trim challenge. If you just got a really good trim and do not plan on applying heat to your hair more than once every few months then I believe that it is possible. I hardly ever apply heat not even rollersets. For the last year, I have pretty much only been applying heat after I got my retouches. I was getting Dominican blowouts. My hair held up pretty well, but now I have started only getting rollerwraps (no blow) after my retouches. Absolutely no other heat. We will see how this goes. My problem is that when I started this "no trim" business, I hadn't had a good trim in a long time anyway. 6months later I had a really light one just to even things up a bit. Now, it is about 9 months after that light trim and I think I may get a dusting. But, my hair is healthy.

Eclipse

I haven't trimmed for over a year. I also make sure to stay away from direct heat and keep my ends moisturized.

NGC

I have't trimmed since August last year. We'll see what type of progress (if any) I have made by Aug. this year.

peacelove

I have never gone as long as a year, but I trim maybe every 3-4 months. I do it when I need it. My problem area is the front of my hair, so I may need to trim that more often. But stylists are way to trim happy. Thankfully my stylist won't trim me if I request not to have it.

tlmack

I need a plan that will enable me to keep the heat off my hair so I don't have to trim my ends.

Maybe I'll try the Dominican Blowout instead of presses? What do you think? Will that help. If I get pressed every 2 weeks I guess that's bound to damage my ends - What do you think?

tlmack

Do you think the coconut and lime natural relaxer really make it like a relaxed style? If so, maybe I could use that and air dry and wrap it?

asummertyme

i trim maybe 2x a year...it can be done...i think these stylists wanna cut your ends, not b/c there not healthy but b/c, there uneven or its not blunt enff, but what ever the reason, if u feel ur ends r healthy girl...dont let them cut...

AllAboutTheHair

Speaking from personal experience, it wasn't pretty. I grew 8 inches in length, had to cut 4 due to tangles and splits. During that one year, there was one terrible press, two blow dry sessions, and combing nearly everyday
. I don't do any of those things anymore and I make it my business to trim more frequently. Just my story, HTH.

Ayeshia

Hmmmm I dunno. Im gonna prolly do a light trim in Oct...and then another in April. I dont wanna take my chances. One year was my paln. But now Im not so sure....

asummertyme

ayeshia, that sounds good...thats not too frequent and u could just dust your ends...

VelvetRain

I don't see how you ladies can go months and months without a trim! I can't stand it post 9 weeks a relaxer and beg my stylist to trim. My hair not only seems to grow faster when trimmed but my hair stays even.

SVT

[ QUOTE ]
tlmack said:
I need a plan that will enable me to keep the heat off my hair so I don't have to trim my ends.

Maybe I'll try the Dominican Blowout instead of presses? What do you think? Will that help. If I get pressed every 2 weeks I guess that's bound to damage my ends - What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

I used to wash and press every week and maintained it by warm combing the edges/roots. When I went to a stylist, I usually had it done every two weeks and maintained it the same way.

I think the frequent use of heat is a major factor in your problems. How long is your hair? My way of reducing the heat while still preferring to press was:

1. to oil my ends and use rollers to curl my hair
2. to wrap my hair or brush/comb it into some shape that made my hair look nice once I took it down in the morning
3. to do braidouts

These methods reduced the amount of in-between maintenance I had to do. The braidout was my favorite because the crinkly texture blended well with reverted roots and edges.

These days, I straighten my hair two or three times year (I'm flatironing today for the first time this year). I've really gotten comfortable and skilled at working with my natural texture so heat damage is not a problem for me anymore.

Ayeshia

[ QUOTE ]
michelle3147 said:
I don't see how you ladies can go months and months without a trim! I can't stand it post 9 weeks a relaxer and beg my stylist to trim. My hair not only seems to grow faster when trimmed but my hair stays even.

[/ QUOTE ]

My hair doesnt grow in even (natural layers) so I wont bother getting it cut blunt again. That's what set me back all this time.

Whit

I began transitioning in April of '03 and when I went to college in August( I had micros) I cut all of my hair off to 1/2 inch and I kept it in braids. I didn't get a trim until May 18th '04 of about 1 inch. I have decided that I am only going to trim 1 inch off a year and wear braids...oh yeah, I'm new but Ive been lurking since January.