What do you use in...

motherx2esq

I just did a roller set and my hair was hard as bricks! I used TCB wrap and setting foam (and water) and me no like! So I was wondering what you ladies use for your roller sets that gets your hair so bouncy and full?

I use a few drops of NTM serum, saturate each section w/ water (and maybe a dollup of Nacidit conditioner), seal my ends and go...

You really should check out Macherieamour's rollersetting tutorial...good stuff!!

I mostly set my hair with plain old distilled water and it works great but when I use setting lotion, I use Lotta Body. It does not make the hair hard and gives lasting, shiny curls.

lacio lacio and water......OR
NTM Silk Touch and Infusium 21 and Rusk Smoother...........OR
salerm 21 and water

I get out a paper plate. I put either "a glob of serum with a few drops of jojoba oil" or "Chi Silk Infusion mixed with a few drops of jojoba oil" on the paper plate. I then wet each strand with my spray bottle of water then apply a dab of my "plate mixture" to that section.

i use a little setting lotion. I put oil and other things on my ends , and put most of the portion on the roots and the other little dab on the ends....

my rollerset on sunday came out pretty nice ,

i used garniers sleek and shine serum
a dab of hot six oil
and a healthy bit of fantashia IC sparklets

my curles were together yet still bouncy

A teaspoon of leave-in mixed with two drops of castor oil gives me shiny, bouncy curls, however, they don't always resist humidity. I used to get great results with diluted Lottabody - my hair never frizzed in bad weather - but haven't set with it in years. I just may go back to it.

Last edited:
Ok Ya'll-

I just did a rollerset last night -

NTM leave-in + H2O + Garnier Leave-in= soft curls & new growth:up: ,

BUT...

My ends are still not smooth. They're not frizzy-bad, but not smooth, if that makes sense. And I was sure to smooth the ends down on the roller, then roll the entire piece & clamp.

And I sat under that hot A$$ dryer for an hour!:burn:

And I look like an old lady w/the roller set! I even wrapped it before I styled this morning. I had Helmet Hair!:shocked:

Now what:confused: I am open to suggestions- any & all!!:crying3:

motherx2esq said:
I just did a roller set and my hair was hard as bricks! I used TCB wrap and setting foam (and water) and me no like! So I was wondering what you ladies use for your roller sets that gets your hair so bouncy and full?
No setting lotions, just a little leave-in, oil, serum and lots of water. My rollersets are always smooth, shiny and bouncy. ;)
Checkout Macherieamour's blog for great rollersetting tips. You too, AKA-Tude! :)

Isis said:
No setting lotions, just a little leave-in, oil, serum and lots of water. My rollersets are always smooth, shiny and bouncy. ;)
Checkout Macherieamour's blog for great rollersetting tips. You too, AKA-Tude! :)

I did!
That's how I got it to not be frizzy. Now I have to get it from kinda fluffy to smooth.
So hers did help- ALOT!!!

Maybe my dryer isn't hot enough or something. & I didn't use any oil either. That may be the culprit!
I'll do that next time.

Anyway, I had to go over it w/ the big barrel. It looks way better now.

@ ISIS- what kind of oil do you use (please let it be something I have already:) )?

I did my first rollerset this weekend. My results were impressive considering I am 11 weeks post and also a beginner. My husband said I looked sexy.

Applied lacio lacio to very wet hair (not dripping) then added serum to each section. If the hair started to dry out I would spray it with WATER only.

I also made sure the ends were saturated with water to lay flat against the roller.

I am soooo hooked and will be rollersetting from now on.

while my hair is wet (after shampoo and deep conditioning) I apply optimum tangle defense spray, then I use perm repair setting lotion spray(not really a lotion it has a consistency of water).. then I roll my hair with magnetic rollers then spray with UBH dew all over and finally I sit under the dome dryer. It comes out shiny and with a nice bounce.

I use Infusium 23, then NTM silk touck leave in, then IC fantasia heat protectant and water mixed with oils.

I used diluted Lottabody,some NTM leave-in,a little Salerm Leave-in, and seal my ends with Fantasia serum. And I make sure my hair is soaking weat when I set it. If I don't use some type of setting lotion my curls don't hold well at all.

blackbarbie said:
lacio lacio and water......OR
NTM Silk Touch and Infusium 21 and Rusk Smoother...........OR
salerm 21 and water
ok thanks bc I love the way your hair looks in your siggy...

Before I set, I put salerm 21 and a tiny bit of NTM leave-in in my hair. I used to put a little conditioner in my water bottle, but now I just use straight, regular water in the bottle. My curls turn out very bouncy and soft.

I never used a setting lotion for the mere fact that I knew it would make my hair hard.

Yesterday I did a rollerset using infusium 23 (diluted), giovanni direct leave-in, and keracare styling foam. It turned out really good, im very pleased with the results!

I've just started rollersetting. I use water & Elucence Silk Hydrating Elixer.
It comes out bouncy, smooth and shiny everytime. I just need to perfect my technique now.

AKA-Tude said:
I did!
That's how I got it to not be frizzy. Now I have to get it from kinda fluffy to smooth.
So hers did help- ALOT!!!

Maybe my dryer isn't hot enough or something. & I didn't use any oil either. That may be the culprit!
I'll do that next time.

Anyway, I had to go over it w/ the big barrel. It looks way better now.

@ ISIS- what kind of oil do you use (please let it be something I have already:) )?

Any oil or pomade would do to seal in the moisture. Or you can use a serum if you have that. Just don't go heavy on the oils.

I use just a little Aveda Anti-Humectant (actually a pomade) on my dripping wet hair after applying leave-in and/or Aveda serum.
I airdry in my rollersets and my hair is smooth and bouncy. So I don't think your dryer being hot enough has to do with frizziness, probably not the oil either. More than likely it's your technique. Make sure you are getting your hair tight on the roller and keeping it there, letting your hair dry all the way before removing them. Make sure you aren't using too much hair on the roller too.

Isis said:
Any oil or pomade would do to seal in the moisture. Or you can use a serum if you have that. Just don't go heavy on the oils.

I use just a little Aveda Anti-Humectant (actually a pomade) on my dripping wet hair after applying leave-in and/or Aveda serum.
I airdry in my rollersets and my hair is smooth and bouncy. So I don't think your dryer being hot enough has to do with frizziness, probably not the oil either. More than likely it's your technique. Make sure you are getting your hair tight on the roller and keeping it there, letting your hair dry all the way before removing them. Make sure you aren't using too much hair on the roller too.

OK- Thanx, Isis.

Back