What do you do when you're stuck??

yuhlovevybz

Ladies, have you ever gotten stuck at a certain length? What do you do? Every time I decide to grow my hair out I get as far as grazing shoulder length and then I don't seem to get any more progress. I'll need to trim an inch to get it to even out, or my hair will start acting dry and snappy like it's doing now. My longest layer finally hit SL but my shortest layer is barely chinlength, so I'll probably need to cut. It's irritating me because this is about as far as I get each time, I haven't reached full SL since I started taking care of my own hair. Right now I'm trying my best at protective styling and just leaving my hair alone, but everytime I take my hair out to wash it or whatever it looks exactly the same, no progress :( I'm starting to think my hair won't grow like it used to when I was younger :( and I'm gonna have to wear weaves for the rest of my life if I wanna have long hair :( ughhhhhh

/semi-vent

yuhlovevybz

It's natural. I don't really have a reggie, the most I can say is that I wash and go about 50 percent of the time and the other 50 I do french braids or cornrows so that I don't have to deal with it, I blow dry or press maybe once a month. I don't know my exact hair type, I THINK it's 4a/b

HanaKuroi

I think you need a regimen. I have learned that you cannot just leave our hair alone whether it is in cornrows or left out. Moisture is very important. Light protein and deep conditioning is too. I cannot slack off more than 3 days without doing something to my hair.

I think you should list the products you use and your methods. The ladies will need to know how often you use product on your hair. They will want to know if you use heat protectant and how hot your flat iron gets. They will want to know if you color you hair.

They can't help unless you are more specific.

I don't think hair type matters that much.

Eta: you said wash. Do you use shampoo? Most are cowashing. Or at least sulfate free shampoo and don't wash often.

Eta: I see in your profile that you clarify weekly. That is waaaay too often. If needed at all.

Last edited:

Ann0804

If your hair can take extensions, maybe do some braids with extensions (human hair braids, kinky twists, yarn twists, ect.) for a few months to release the hair frustrations that you feel at this time.

HanaKuroi

Ann0804 said:
If your hair can take extensions, maybe do some braids with extensions (human hair braids, kinky twists, yarn twists, ect.) for a few months to release the hair frustrations that you feel at this time.

Yes, but not until she figures out what her hair needs. Extensions can wreak havoc if you have any issues with dryness.

Zaz

I would say don't even it out then, if the longer layer isn't damaged, don't cut it. If you cut off an inch every time your hair reaches SL, then it would stand to reason that you will forever remain above shoulder length.

Most of us who started with a twa have had to grow out that weird natural mullet phase :yep:

Last edited:

Evolving78

join the APL challenge and get a reggie going. get a hair journal and write everything down that you do and use.

what products do you use?

i am not stuck, but i realized that i had to get serious about reaching my hair goal.

try cowashing and the greenhouse effect. try the LOC method(leave-in liquid, oil, cream).

try wet bunning and use a light protein once a week or every other week.

mist your hair with a refresher spray like Jane Carter leave-in or Oyin Juice.

Last edited:

SimJam

I had almost no progress last year (im natural) Collar bone length

There were several reasons

1. I coloured my hair and didnt maintain it well
2. my ends were dry and breaking
3. I kept snipping off SSKs

basically I was not retaining much length... I ended up cutting off all the colour but still had dry ends with lots of SSKs and still wasnt retaining :nono:

What did I do to resolve ??

1. I found aloevera juice ... it dramatically reduces dryness for me. I use it right after I wash and before I add a leave in.

2. When twisting I add a heavy moisturizer/sealer to the ends (I like Qhemet AOHC or Castor Oil) It seals in the moisture and keeps SSKs at bay

3. I remoisturize ends every morning while in twists. Add a leave in and seal with a ceramide oil

4. I made a regimen and am sticking with it. Protein every 3 weeks moisture every week

5. Now that my hair is long enough, I've be bunning and doing other PS that involve tucking away my ends so they are not at the mercy of the elements, clothes, my fingers

6. Im focussing on growth -- taking MSM, Biotin, evening primrose oil, Horsetail and using moe grow oil (nettle infused in jojoba oil)

7. Im not using heat for 2012

Its been working so far (retained 0.5 to 1 inch since december)

Basically Im tackling my dry ends that were breaking off and ensuring that I get the maximum growth I can get.:yep:

also see the challenges Im in? ... yep ... each one reinforces my resolve to get to APL this year

Last edited:

southerncitygirl

when i get stuck i tweak my reggie more for instance i've gradually added the following in the time i've been on this forum:

pre-pooing
washing in plaits (5-7)
moisturizing and sealing (this one is the most recent)
dusting/ trimming several times a year
hardcore protein treatments

southerncitygirl

stop doing wash and goes they cause tangling and knots which leads to potential breakage and less retention. do styles that stretch the hair.

aubreys makes great conditioners gbp, j.a.y & hsr are a few of my faves
i like giovanni 50/50 shampoo, tj maxx/marshalls has the liters for $12
i use darcys botanicals leave-in to detangle my hair on wash day with a shower comb

i moisturize and seal 2-4 times a week with qb amla and olive heavy cream ( use any heavy butter or creamy product that doesn't cause tons of frizzies or shrinkage) i have a oil mix i seal with that has several different oils in it and i make it myself.

twistouts are my weekly style of choice and i never retwist at night....this style lasts me 5-7 days which is how often i wash.

alive

the ladies have given really good advice. i think building a regimen is definitely the place to start and then protective styling and less frequent trims.

shoulder length is usually a tough hump to cross over. *hang in there*

yuhlovevybz

I think you need a regimen. I have learned that you cannot just leave our hair alone whether it is in cornrows or left out. Moisture is very important. Light protein and deep conditioning is too. I cannot slack off more than 3 days without doing something to my hair.

I think you should list the products you use and your methods. The ladies will need to know how often you use product on your hair. They will want to know if you use heat protectant and how hot your flat iron gets. They will want to know if you color you hair.

They can't help unless you are more specific.

I don't think hair type matters that much.

Eta: you said wash. Do you use shampoo? Most are cowashing. Or at least sulfate free shampoo and don't wash often.

Eta: I see in your profile that you clarify weekly. That is waaaay too often. If needed at all.

Alright, I'll try to be specific as I can. I wash at least weekly, sometimes even daily, with a cheapie v05 2-n-1. After that I use suave black rasperry and white tea leave in and either wear a puff or french braid. When I use heat I deep condition first, blow dry with heat protectant, and flat iron with shine spray, I think I flat iron at 390 or 410 somewhere between those two. I don't use moisturizers because every type I have tried has made my hair feel crispy. I'll use oils like coconut oil or tea tree oil for my scalp. Any time i use protien my hair reacts negatively. Also my hair gets build up when I use sulfate-free shampoos and starts to feel waxy. And co-washing hasn't given me a very good experience either.

candy626

I agree with other ladies develop a regimen and try and diagnose what's going on with your hair. It can be hard figuring this all out but it will eventually pay off in the end.

Also it could be that part of your hair grows faster then the rest. If you don't have split ends, don't trim it. Let the other parts catch up. Right now, one part of my hair is MBL and the other is BSB-BSL. Most times I would have somebody trim it when it got to this point and somehow would always end up a little under APL. This time I'm letting it all catch up. I've grown my hair to this point so many times and finally understand my growth pattern. One part just grows faster then the rest.

If I were you I would wait it out.

yuhlovevybz

Also, I wash-and-go because its the most comfortable thing for me to do after working out, I run outside and I feel gross coming in with whatever I ran through now in my hair. Also its the easiest thing when I wake up and have no idea what to do with my hair. It's not easy to mold into a bun because its so short and sometimes feels really wirey after a braidout so there's nothing I can really do with it besides straightening, which i can't do because straight styles don't last when I run.

kila82

yuhlovevybz said:
Also, I wash-and-go because its the most comfortable thing for me to do after working out, I run outside and I feel gross coming in with whatever I ran through now in my hair. Also its the easiest thing when I wake up and have no idea what to do with my hair. It's not easy to mold into a bun because its so short and sometimes feels really wirey after a braidout so there's nothing I can really do with it besides straightening, which i can't do because straight styles don't last when I run.

U ever think of getting box braids or kinky twists until ur hair grows out of it's "stuck stage"? That way ur ends won't be exposed but you'll be able to still oil ur scalp and give ur hair a rest :D

ETA: whoops someone already said this lolol I should've read the thread before posting :/

Last edited:

yuhlovevybz

U ever think of getting box braids or kinky twists until ur hair grows out of it's "stuck stage"? That way ur ends won't be exposed but you'll be able to still oil ur scalp and give ur hair a rest :D

ETA: whoops someone already said this lolol I should've read the thread before posting :/

Yea I forgot to reply to this, but braids don't suit my lifestyle, they are way to itchy and wreak havoc on my scalp (I'm prone to ezcema) plus the amount of time they take to remove never ever works out well with whatever I have going on. I wore them once to grow out my twa, but afterwards I decided not to mess with them anymore, they're just not very comfortable for me.

HanaKuroi

Your main problems are washing waaaay too much and not using moisture at all. What you use to cowash with matters. What were you using. You need moisture, moisture, and more moisture. What were you using to moisturize?

Moisturize and seal.

You are just stripping you hair with that shampoo. And then you aren't adding moisture back into your hair.

I do not understand, everyone's hair benefits from moisture. What were you using for a moisturizer?

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get your hair turned around.

yuhlovevybz

Your main problems are washing waaaay too much and not using moisture at all. What you use to cowash with matters. What were you using. You need moisture, moisture, and more moisture. What were you using to moisturize?

Moisturize and seal.

You are just stripping you hair with that shampoo. And then you aren't adding moisture back into your hair.

I do not understand, everyone's hair benefits from moisture. What were you using for a moisturizer?

You don't have to spend a lot of money to get your hair turned around.

I used to co-wash with organix coconut milk conditioner. It worked for a bit but after awhile I needed to shampoo. I moistrurized with ORS carrot oil creme. Moisturizing and sealing worked really well for me when I first started it, but then my hair started shedding like crazy and breaking so I thought using too much product was what was doing it. When I stopped using the products, the shedding and breakage stopped.

HanaKuroi

Kinky curly knot today, oyin hair dew and brown sugar pomade, my honey child products, Quemet biologics, aloe Vera gel or juice, etc.

There are so many recipes and regimens here.

Try yes ti carrots to cowash use Aubrey organics hsr conditioner and leave in all at under a plastic bonnet. Use Chicoro's prepoo method.

Basically you need to stop everything you are doing, use a regimen you see on here. Be consistent. You are causing the dryness by washing too much and not moisturizing and sealing.

Read Grow It! By Chicoro.

Read The Science of Black Hair by Audrey Davis-Sivasothy

That shampoo is not right for our hair. Oyin handmade makes a hemp shampoo that people use.

HanaKuroi

That organix coconut milk conditioner caused dryness and shedding and people hated it on MA. Try Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose conditioner.

HanaKuroi

I am hoping that the more experienced lchf'ers come around tomorrow and can help you better than I can. These ladies have so much knowledge.

I hope things work out for you quickly. Once you get your regimen andproducts you will see a difference. :)

I google so many product reviews before I buy now. I also check here before I buy as well.

yuhlovevybz

This is the part about hair care products that irritate me. Those little bottles are definitely not in my product price range, I hate spending that much money on hair products that I'll have to continuously repurchase, its just not convenient for me. Do you know any similar products that are easier to find plus better on the price side?

yuhlovevybz

Also, how exactly do you go about moisturizing and sealing? Like on wet hair after washing? Or is it something that's done daily?

HanaKuroi

I use oyin hair dew as my moisturizer. I paid 30 something for 32 oz. I really like Oyin. Oyin handmade sells samples for cheap. I use Jbco to seal and then use crisco on the ends because I need a heavy sealer where I live.

There is a thread on here about sealing with crisco.

I use terressentials mud every 2 weeks and I use either Aubrey organics hsr or oyin honey hemp to cowash with. I wash in braids and I leave the cowash in for a few hours at least. I have started steaming every other day because we just had a month of -18 degree highs.

I don't put in my moisturizer on wet hair, I wait until damp. I wear my hair in braidout buns or braidouts. I do eight braids or more with a flexirod on the end. I use weleda Rosemary hair oil on my edges.

I moisturize and seal on dry hair every other day. If I wait until it feels like I need it then it is too late for my hair. I have to keep on top of it.

Try oyin handmade order the samples. I think they have great and affordable products. Try the hair dew and pomades. Try the conditioner and the juice sprays. I can only use the sprays in summer.

The other ladies are really good at this they will be a better guide. :)

silenttullip

To answer the thread post... When I was stuck or whenever I get stuck I do what you did. I post here so that was great!

As for cost effective products found in most stores
cowashing: suave or vo5 conditioners I love kiwi lime usually they're under 1 dollar
deep conditioning: aubrey organics regardless of hair type most people love them and don't pay over 9 bucks, dilute with aloe vera gel or water to make it last longer
shampoo: vo5 kiwi lime for clarifying, tressemme shampoos 1-6 bucks or mane & tail, creme of nature or any others you like.
moisturizer: your favorite water based conditioner or leave in
sealing: your favorite oil and maybe a butter if you like to reduce build up I use a mixture of evoo essential oils and water and just lightly spray or I use watered down vo5 (one of the protein free ones) and moisturize with it
prepoo or oil rinsing: your favorite oil
Not saying you have to do all or any of this but it was just the bases the woen here helped me situate for my regimen.

For crackly or hard ends (oil rinsing or baggying your ends is great)

I just posted the above so you know it doesn't have to be expensive especially once your reggie is going. Most people who buy pricey products don't do it because they have to it's just something they like.

Until you find what products work for you I'd suggest buying one or two new products every few months so if you have breakage or growth you'll know which product contributed to it.

I noticed you said if you don't use a sulfate shampoo you get build up, you may want to invest in a shower filter the culprit may be hard water. I got a filter and it totally changed my hair and scalp.

For moisturizing and sealing try both ways. I do it on wet hair on wash days and dry hair on regular days. I rub the moisturizer in my hands or spray it on my hair and gently slide my hands down the length and then put a few drops of oil or a dime sized amount of butter on my ends.

I think you may just need a little dusting, clarifying, deep moisturizing conditioning overnight, and a nice moisturizing and sealing to handle the dryness and breakage.

Dee Raven

I would also say that you take very precise pictures on a regular basis, like once every 3 months, because it's easy to feel like your hair is having no progress when you see it everyday. Make sure you stand in the same place, take the shot from the same angle, good lighting etc.

NappyNelle

Kinky Coily 4A, Fine Strands, WSL
yuhlovevybz I agree with HanaKuroi, silenttullip and Dee Raven. Shoulder length is a very difficult stage to pass if you are not paying attention to your hair's needs. Based on your regimen post, I agree that you need MOISTURE MOISTURE MOISTURE and PROTECTIVE STYLES.

I buy 'expensive' products, but they last me 6+ months, so the investment works for my budget. I'm not too familiar with BSS and drugstore products, but another type of moisturizer you can use is curl activator if your hair responds well to glycerin during these cold months.

SimJam

For cheaper alternatives

I also reccomend VO5 moisture milks or Tea formulations. Tresseme naturals or moisture rich (I think thats the name) Suave humectant.
I also used to like Herbal essences Hello Hydration and long term relationship

for mild protein/strengtheners- I liked ApHogee 2 minute and the keratin green tea leave in

for me the best sealers are oils - castor, hemp seed, walnut, sweet almond, wheat germ

for leave ins/moisturizers - I liked hawiian silky 14 in 1 and other glycerin based products like carefree curl gold

SmilingElephant

Maybe your hair is sensitive to moisturizers with mineral oil? I cannot use mineral oil in my leave ins or moisturizers but i can get away with it in a deep conditioner:yep: Otherwise my ends feel dry and crispy.

I'm with HanaKuroi, try Oyin Hair Dew...im almost out of mine and im gonna buy a bigger bottle of it. That one 8 oz bottle lasted me a whole year:yep: (Partially because i lost it while we were moving..but i found it like 2 months ago and its still going strong).

Or try using one of the Suave Naturals or the V05's as leave-ins and seal them in with an oil:yep: I moisturize on damp hair and follow with an oil, focusing on my ends.You can also put a small drop of one of these conditioners in a spray bottle, spray it on, and seal with an oil...that usually works as well.

I forgot what you said you deep condition with....but try AO HSR and use that weekly after you shampoo....with shampoo...i know i personally have to shampoo weekly..my hair gets dirty pretty fast....but i only clarify shampoo like every 2 weeks or once a month....i use a moisturizing shampoo every week. Right now i use and love the AO HSR shampoo...but i know that shampoo doesn't work for everybody. I know a lot of people love the Suave Humectant line, the Suave Shea Butter and Almond line...i hear those two are very moisturizing...i have used the Suave Humectant before as a relaxed head and it worked really well. Invest in anything that says moisturizing...but try to avoid mineral oil...bc you need your moisture.

If wash in go's work for you...do them. Unless they cause huge tangles for you. If not that, just co wash, moisturize and wear a cute puff until your hair gets longer...that's what i did. I didn't know really how to style my hair at shoulder length...so i just did a puff or a wash n go everyday...now i can bun again:lol:

And limit your heat usage some more.

HTH!

Last edited: