What did I do wrong? Please Advise

bajanplums1

For the past month, my hair was so well behaved, insignificant breakage, little to no shedding, soft and pliable. My routine was

elucence moisture benefits poo
elucence moisture balancing conditioner
for my airdried rollerset: elastaqp mango butter + aphogee essential fatty acids oil concentrate
a bit of elucence serious shining spray once the hair was dried & set

Last night, I used a clarifying poo, followed by the moisture balancing conditioner, then I spritz a bit of a protein leave in spray and a elucence volume designing foam and then did the rollerset with the mango butter, the fatty acids oil and then a bit of shining spray.

When I woke up this morning, my hair was a bit hard, and tough to comb through in some parts and I have serious breaking and shedding. what is the culprit? should I rewash??

thanks.

Last edited:
Sounds like the protein leave in. I'm not sure but the design foam could be the culprit too.

How did you hair feel without applying these product in before?

ITA with Honi. I think that a protein leave-in, especially after using a clarifying shampoo, is a bit overkill. Try using a moisturizing leave-in after the clarifying and see if that makes a difference.

bajanplums1 said:
thanks ladies, do you think i should rewash? or just deal with it for the week?

I'm only going based upon my own hair with this response. I am not able to wash my hair as often as some ladies, because my hair is somewhat curly, dries out a lot with several washings. For my own hair, I would just stick it out for the week. However, others here who have lucky with several weekly washings will advise otherwise.

Ultimately, it's not going to kill you either way :)

I think it was the protein leave in as well. I agree with GodMadeMePretty, if you rewash, dont use shampoo (you dont need it, your scalp is already clean)

IMO should you choose to wash, I would go with a full shampoo to make sure the stuff is thoroughly cleansed out and then start from scratch with the products that give you a successful outcome.

GodMadeMePretty said:
If you do decide to rewash, don't do it with shampoo. Do a conditioner wash to combat the hardness.
I agree... you can also do an overnight moisturizing treatment to combat the dryness. This always works for me all you need to do is: rewet your hair, apply your moisturizing conditioners, put on a plastic cap, cover with satin bonnet (optional) and sleep in it over night. When you wash your hair the following day, your hair should be back to normal:) .

I would've followed the clarifying poo w. the moisture benefits poo, before conditioning. For now, I would just OD in moisure or if you feel like co washing, I'm sure that would do the trick as well. :)

I maybe late on this one, but I believe that you did nothing wrong except using Aphogee's moisture balancing conditioner. THis stuff is garbage, it made my hair hard and dry feeling after using it and I was told by other members(Adrienne I believe) that the product was particularly drying. Next time you do an Aphogee treatment, use a moisturizing deep treatment afterwards like Silk Elements Mega cholesterol or whatever brand you use so long as it is moisturizing. I also agree with the other members that if you want to regain softness to your hair then you should try a conditioner wash. Another product that does the same job as Aphogee but is more moisturizing is Nexxus's Emergencee, this product can be found at tradesecrets (www.tradesecret.com).

BajanPlums,
sounds like too much protein! I would try CW's & hot oil treatments and avoiding protein for a few weeks. Also try a protective style and avoid any manipulation until the breakage stops.

Then I would try an Aphogee Treatment, followed by Porosity Control & PM Supercharged, "damaged hair treatment" as recently recommended on this board. It sounds as if you have had a seriously high overdose of protein. Then stick with CW's & hot oil treatments for 6 weeks before repeating the damaged hair treatment. Also try to avoid any alcohol, sls or als shampoos/products until a moisture balance is restored. Good Luck.

MeechUK

bajanplums1 said:
For the past month, my hair was so well behaved, insignificant breakage, little to no shedding, soft and pliable. My routine was

elucence moisture benefits poo
elucence moisture balancing conditioner
for my airdried rollerset: elastaqp mango butter + aphogee essential fatty acids oil concentrate
a bit of elucence serious shining spray once the hair was dried & set

Last night, I used a clarifying poo, followed by the moisture balancing conditioner, then I spritz a bit of a protein leave in spray and a elucence volume designing foam and then did the rollerset with the mango butter, the fatty acids oil and then a bit of shining spray.

When I woke up this morning, my hair was a bit hard, and tough to comb through in some parts and I have serious breaking and shedding. what is the culprit? should I rewash??

thanks.

It might have been the protein or you might have used a product that had glycerine in it. Whenever I use a leave-in with even minimal amounts of protein my hair dries hard and when I use one with glycerin as one of the top ingredients, my hair dries hard AND crusty :eek:! :mad:! I would recommend that you stick to the products that worked for you previously and yes, I would rewash to get those products out of your hair. That is what I had to do, conditioner washing did not do it. Only washing with shampoo helped.

Alli77 said:
Another product that does the same job as Aphogee but is more moisturizing is Nexxus's Emergencee, this product can be found at tradesecrets (www.tradesecret.com).

Co-signing on Emergencee. Aphogee is trash and the treatment was very high maintainence. You can't wear a cap, it runs down your face, you have to wait for it to dry, then some rinse out all that crap without breaking your hair. Grand dang, just trying to rinse it out would lead to hairloss for me. Also, the moisturebalance is not that moisturizing. I have found that Hollywood beauty cholestrol mixed with olive oil and coconut milk or humecto or both works well for me.

Back