Was Anyone's Transitioning Hair Easier To Deal With Than Their Natural or Relaxed

kblc06

Hair? Sometimes I'm really tempted to relax my hair bone straight so that I can start the transitioning process all over again :ohwell:. Or maybe just perming the last 2 inches at the ends. My hair was so much more manageable and versatile than my relaxed and less tangle/split prone than my natural hair. Had I never cut my relaxed ends off, my hair would have been hip length at least by now. I retained most of my growth when growing out my relaxer and my ends were perfect. Does anyone miss their transitioning hair sometimes?

Prudent1

^^^
No, I can't say that I do:look:. For me each of the hair types has had their ups and downs. I started out here a relaxing stretcher, then decided to texlax, finally went natural.

BTW- your hair is beautiful!

ChristmasCarol

I looove my transitioning hair!
Next month will be my 2-Year transitioning anniversary, and I originally planned to BC @ that time. I was trimming the relaxed hair more aggressively last year, but now I'm greedy for length. After seeing how I have the best of both worlds, I plan on keeping the relaxed ends for another year!

Napp

Ms. Nobody
i think i do. i think secretly i am one of those people who just likes to be inbetween:look:

lovenharmony

ET / OT Bonafide Member
I got more tangles while transitioning than I did now that I'm natural.

Seems like you're having issues with dealing with your ends. Try to maintain the ph balance of your hair so that the cuticles close and are less prone to tangle and frizz up. A good balance for leave in products is between 4.5 - 5.5. if that doesn't solve the problem, then dusting your ends should help keep tangles to a minimum.

SheenaVee

Nah. My transitioning hair seemed to tangle a lot more and it seemed like my natural hair was really dry when I was transitioning. (maybe that was just because I hadn't found the right products yet though) When I cut the relaxed ends off my hair was so much easier to deal with.

kblc06

I got more tangles while transitioning than I did now that I'm natural.

Seems like you're having issues with dealing with your ends. Try to maintain the ph balance of your hair so that the cuticles close and are less prone to tangle and frizz up. A good balance for leave in products is between 4.5 - 5.5. if that doesn't solve the problem, then dusting your ends should help keep tangles to a minimum.

Done and done. I've tried everything, and I dust so often that it's becoming difficult for me to retain length. I only use Joico products with a ph of 4.5. My hair is just rally frustrating me right now. And I never feel as if it looks polished :ohwell:

Makenzie

No, August makes 3 years and I can't wait to be 100% natural, but don't want to BC. So I will be waiting it out.

ManeStreet

No, I didn't miss my transitioning hair. I transitioned for 22 months and just chopped last week. My natural hair is so much easier to take care off. I can pretty much just finger comb it rather than all the detangling I had to do while transitioning :spinning:.

I like my transitioning hair. It's difficult at times; but, I wouldn't change it back to completely relaxed (which was limp, bone straight, lifeless).

PPGbubbles

Done and done. I've tried everything, and I dust so often that it's becoming difficult for me to retain length. I only use Joico products with a ph of 4.5. My hair is just rally frustrating me right now. And I never feel as if it looks polished :ohwell:

Perhaps this line may not be working out for you :ohwell: maybe try something else

kblc06

Perhaps this line may not be working out for you :ohwell: maybe try something else

I've gotten a lot less breakage since using it and my hair stays really moisturized. Since I'm a PJ , I've gone through pretty much every line you can think of. But maybe I should rotate with some of my older staples. If I didn't want to continue growing my hair, I really would chop it off.

LunadeMiel

kblc06
What styling tools are you using? I suffer from splits too but I know it's because I'm rough with my hair. I dust constantly (almost weekly) too which I think is overboard.

You should try the Softfeen carson Optimum care line. It has worked well for me.

kblc06

@kblc06
What styling tools are you using? I suffer from splits too but I know it's because I'm rough with my hair. I dust constantly (almost weekly) too which I think is overboard.

You should try the Softfeen carson Optimum care line. It has worked well for me.

@LunadeMielYeah, I probably should invest in some seamless tools. I use the Conair detangling comb and I know that may contribute to some of my split ends. I also use to use that line and had some awesome results from the conditioner. I recently picked up a few bottles but my hair isn't responding to it like it used to. I feel like my hair needs to have the reset button pressed on it. It's approximately MBL and I'm only 2-3.5 inches from WL. I didn't seem to have this trouble when my hair was between SL and APL :perplexed. But I do trim and dust frequently. I did a thorough S&D and trimmed about 1/2- 3/4". I wore my ends out once in a STRETCHED braidout, slept on it (while covered in my headscarf), and it got a little tangled. Do you know that I had to go back and do another S&D a week later due to the splits and SSKs :sad:. Fortunately, it was too bad, but damn! I just wish my hair was a little more resilient. I see people who've been on their HHJ for 2-3 years and have already surpassed me in terms of length. And it's not like my hair grows slow. I think I just might have to go back to wigs or banana comb wash n gos- I got great retention from those *sigh*. I wonder how many naturals wear their hair loose and still get good retention.

LunadeMiel

@LunadeMielYeah, I probably should invest in some seamless tools. I use the Conair detangling comb and I know that may contribute to some of my split ends. I also use to use that line and had some awesome results from the conditioner. I recently picked up a few bottles but my hair isn't responding to it like it used to. I feel like my hair needs to have the reset button pressed on it. It's approximately MBL and I'm only 2-3.5 inches from WL. I didn't seem to have this trouble when my hair was between SL and APL :perplexed. But I do trim and dust frequently. I did a thorough S&D and trimmed about 1/2- 3/4". I wore my ends out once in a STRETCHED braidout, slept on it (while covered in my headscarf), and it got a little tangled. Do you know that I had to go back and do another S&D a week later due to the splits and SSKs :sad:. Fortunately, it was too bad, but damn! I just wish my hair was a little more resilient. I see people who've been on their HHJ for 2-3 years and have already surpassed me in terms of length. And it's not like my hair grows slow. I think I just might have to go back to wigs or banana comb wash n gos- I got great retention from those *sigh*. I wonder how many naturals wear their hair loose and still get good retention.

Air dried and blow our styles are the worst for my hair. My ends will tangle so badly :nono: Although wash and gos give me ssks, my hair stays tangle free. For my hair it's either straight or curly. I have to be really careful with the in between hairstyles. Also if your hair is pourous, then those seamed combs are causing more damage. Right now I've incorporated finger combing into my regimen instead of combing daily. You may want to lay off the comb for a while.

About 80% of the time my hair is loose and I've been able to retain a lot of hair (although on average I cut about 2-3"/year). If you are seeing that many splits then I think your styling techniques are the cause. I also want to mention that rollersetting can be the devil if done excesively. Consider the manipulation that it takes, and the fact that those magnetic rollers have seams :nono:

Last edited:

kblc06

Air dried and blow our styles are the worst for my hair. My ends will tangle so badly :nono: Although wash and gos give me ssks, my hair stays tangle free. For my hair it's either straight or curly. I have to be really careful with the in between hairstyles. Also if your hair is pourous, then those seamed combs are causing more damage. Right now I've incorporated finger combing into my regimen instead of combing daily. You may want to lay off the comb for a while.

About 80% of the time my hair is loose and I've been able to retain a lot of hair (although on average I cut about 2-3"/year). If you are seeing that many splits then I think your styling techniques are the cause. I also want to mention that rollersetting can be the devil if done excesively. Consider the manipulation that it takes, and the fact that those magnetic rollers have seams :nono:

That's true. The bolded seems to be the case for my hair. But I just love those fluffy straight styles :drool:. I normally only rollerset my hair when I get ready to straighten and that happens very sparingly. I can wear wash n gos (in banana combs) and I notice that helps to eliminate some of the SSKs and my hair does pretty well with them. I just need to fine one (the Goody kind). Those were the only ones that didn't fly across the room when I tried to close them. On average I believe my hair grows anywhere from 7-9" per year but it's only been in the past year that I've retained most of it.

Your Cheeziness

I know what you mean. I only transitioned 5 months, but I had no problems managing my hair. It had its moments, but for the most part it was smooth sailing.