Use Up Your Stash 2012 - Session 1

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
OK, no more product buying! I'm giving up my PJ ways! Still working on depleting some of the conditioners.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I combined wheat germ oil, flax seed oil and jojoba oil to make a body oil. So will remove the jojoba oil from my hair stash. And still have 1/4 bottle of both wheat germ oil and flax seed oil. I will remember not to buy heavy oils for my hair. Can't do anything with them.

faithVA, this is heavy oil to you? Geez what is light?
My hair is the same way with the oils but WGO is cool......

Used up the last of my Suave Milk and Honey conditioner to cowash out my henna touch-up. I should have just thrown it out. My hair didn't feel dry from the indigo when I did the first rinse with just water, but that conditioner sure did make it feel dry. :rolleyes:

classoohfive, does that smell like the softsoap hand wash :lick:?
And is that considered a protein? I thought cheapies like Suave and VO5 were protein based?

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
Imma be back soon, I am taking my braids down this weekend (Sunday after church)......I am ready to cowash and use some of these conditioners up!

faithVA

[USER=34547 said:
ZebraPrintLover[/USER];15748227]@faithVA, this is heavy oil to you? Geez what is light?
My hair is the same way with the oils but WGO is cool......

So far I can do sunflower oil and grapeseed oil. That's about it.

What I've tried so far: coconut oil, jojoba oil, flaxseed oil, wheat germ oil, almond oil, evoo, castor oil and something else I'm forgetting :lol:

coconut oil acts like a protein in my hair so avoid it.
evoo doesn't really do anything for my hair.
jojoba makes my hair waxy
almond, flaxseed, wheat germ are too heavy and make my hair greasy.

I can use castor oil on my scalp.

I have tried safflower but I don't remember. I hear argan is good and my try it one day.

My hair just isn't into oils. But unfortunately I am :lol:

classoohfive

classoohfive, does that smell like the softsoap hand wash :lick:?
And is that considered a protein? I thought cheapies like Suave and VO5 were protein based?

ZebraPrintLover, lol, yes it does smell like Soft Soap, but stronger. The smell smacks you in the face when you open the bottle, lol. I love Soft Soap hand wash scents. :up:

I'm not sure if it's considered a protein, maybe the "milk" part? I purchased it early on in my hair journey because of all the raves on how moisturizing it was and I didn't pay attention to the label. :nono:

My hair didn't feel unbalanced in terms of protein and moisture, it just felt stripped like I was using shampoo instead of conditioner but it has always felt that way with this conditioner. I did a DC before the henna so I thought my hair would feel okay... I've had okay results with VO5 though. I don't know, I'm not buying this one ever again, lol, but if I do try another Suave since their scents are tempting I'll check the label more closely for proteins. :yep:

Keishadt

I tried really hard not to buy anything this month, but as it's getting hotter and I am working out, I feel the need to cowash and none of my conditioners were working for me as cowashes. So yesterday I bought a bottle of Renpure Organics Moisturizing conditioner. It was on clearance. I tried it last night, and fell in love. Went back and bought the last two bottles... I feel bad, but I know I lacked a cowash condi in my regimen, so I'm not beating myself up on this. I tried a product, loved it, and now have more in stock for later. I'm sure I'll put them to use at least twice a week...

Oh and I tossed out some mixes I made that weren't working for me.

xu93texas

I used up my samples of Redken Anti-Snap Treatment, Macadamia Moisturizing Rinse, and Macadamia Rejuvenating Shampoo

faithVA

Oiled my scalp tonight with my coffee castor oil blend. It's getting close. Only 2 more uses.

Going to use my Natures Gate conditioner tomorrow. And then may use up my Joie Naturals Gel this weekend when I twist. Can't think of anything else I can try to use up.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
Used up some Dove conditioner last night. The Nourishing Oil line is pretty good. I want to try the detangler when I get a chance.

JJamiah

I used up one 16oz of Wen Fig/Wen Pumpkin Mix

I am almost done one Nexxus Emergencee. I am braided up so that won't be used up anytime soon LOL

LaidBak

lamaria211 said:
Ladies do you still try and use up products if you really dont like them so yu dont waste you money????

That was my intent at first. But ultimately if they are harming my hair, or messing with it in anyway, I'll trash 'em.
I'm dealing with the reality that my hair doesn't like coconut oil, so I may end up trashing a couple of products very soon.

Keishadt

Ladies do you still try and use up products if you really dont like them so yu dont waste you money????

Like Laidbak, I toss what my hair doesn't like (i.e. damaging, irritating). But if the product (for me, it's primarily conditioners) is just alright, then I'll add some oils and glycerin and use them as a prepoo. So far so good...

Other products I try to repurpose if I can.

faithVA

It depends. If I think the product is harming my hair/scalp or is creating a condition which will make my hair worse in the long run I will toss it. For my hair, anything with a silicon may see to work but in the long run it dries my hair out. So I tossed them because if I used them up, I would just prevent myself from reaching my hair goal.

Now, I have oils and other things that do absolutely nothing for my hair, but they also don't harm it. I will try to work them into my regimen some type of way. Or I will doctor them as much as possible by mixing or adding to use them up.

I would rather throw a product away then get in the way of my hair goals.

faithVA

I used the Natures Gate Chamomile conditioner, mixed with AVG and sunflower oil as a prepoo/detangler. It worked very, very well. My hair didn't feel great when I rinsed though :ohwell: I only have one more use, so its gone.

Mudwashed, so put a dent in the lavender mudwash and realized I didn't have anything in the 2nd bottle of lemon like I thought.

I will probably twist tomorrow and use up the rest of the Joie Natural gel but I will report again tomorrow.

One of my LHCF hair buddies is sending me a care package of her no go products for my birthday. So my stash will be increasing substantially :look: Its a great way for me to try some new things without going out and purchasing them. I will try them and pass them on to someone else.

xu93texas

I got rid of the last of Mixed Chicks shampoo.

I did buy Redken All Soft Shampoo, Conditioner, and All Soft Supple Touch Leave in conditioner today. I seriously think the only products I have left to purchase for 2012 is Joico Chelating Shampoo, Redken Anti-Snap treatment, Bee Mine Deja Hair Milk and Hair Trigger Growth Elixir.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
So far I can do sunflower oil and grapeseed oil. That's about it.

What I've tried so far: coconut oil, jojoba oil, flaxseed oil, wheat germ oil, almond oil, evoo, castor oil and something else I'm forgetting :lol:

coconut oil acts like a protein in my hair so avoid it.
evoo doesn't really do anything for my hair.
jojoba makes my hair waxy
almond, flaxseed, wheat germ are too heavy and make my hair greasy.

I can use castor oil on my scalp.

I have tried safflower but I don't remember. I hear argan is good and my try it one day.

My hair just isn't into oils. But unfortunately I am :lol:

Should like me, I like EVCO and wheat germ and I use JBCO for my temples and nape area. I dont like anything else...I wanna try Hemp and see how that goes but IDK if I wanna waste my money or not. I like Hot 6 oil though.....

Confession; I bought from walgreens today Nubian Heritage Indian Hemp&Tamanu Grow&Strengthen Treatment

What is that, a conditioner?

almost done wth a jar of EVCO

Yours comes in a jar? :look:

Nope not at all, but I have rarely encountered something my hair doesnt like. But if I can mix it with something I try to do that first before I just throw it out....

classoohfive

Depends on why I don't like them. There's plenty of products I don't like but they don't damage my hair, they just don't meet my expectations for why I purchased them. I hate wasting things so I'll try to give it to someone that does like it or find a way to make it work.

- Moisturizing conditioners without slip (slip is a big reason I use conditioners): Great for cowashing henna out. I DC after henna so I just use the slip from that.

- Other conditioners I dislike: Mixed for henna glosses or egg protein treatments to give them a more conditioner like consistency for application and to lower the concentration of henna or egg protein. I've tried shaving with conditioners but it just leaves me scratching my legs, lol.

ZebraPrintLover, mine comes in a jar too.

Last edited:

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am BAACCCKKKK ladies,

So yall know I am finna try to go hard on this challenge now LOL.

I used about an ounce of WGO tonight while prepooing, washing and DCing.

Meritamen

On a happy hair journey
Finally used up something! Finished the Jason Biotin conditioner. On next wash day I should be rid of a few more products.

JJamiah

Hello Ladies Good Job on using things up. Welcome back ZebraPrintLover

I am in braids and won't be using things up as quickly as my slow butt was using them LOL. but it is okay. I have 5 months of slow grinding.

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
I am so lazy about my hair that I know I wont be impulse hair shopping anymore. I dont really have lots of products anymore, just typed out it seems like a lot. But it all fits under my sink cabinet.....

lamaria211

ZebraPrintLover said:
Should like me, I like EVCO and wheat germ and I use JBCO for my temples and nape area. I dont like anything else...I wanna try Hemp and see how that goes but IDK if I wanna waste my money or not. I like Hot 6 oil though.....

What is that, a conditioner?

Yours comes in a jar? :look:

Nope not at all, but I have rarely encountered something my hair doesnt like. But if I can mix it with something I try to do that first before I just throw it out....

The nubian heritage treatment is a super thick yummy dc. And yes my.Extra Virgin Organic Coconut oil comes in a jar I paid almost 30$ for it and I just went and purchased another since I started adding it to my oatmeal

faithVA

My care package came today :yippee: Goodies I didn't have to buy but I wanted to try. Most things are half full so not too bad.

1. Shea Moisture Anti-Breakage Masque
2. Shea Moisture Smoothie
3. Taliah Waajid Herbal Conditioner
4. Deva Curl One Conditioner
5. Shea Moisture Yucca & Aloe Growth Milk
6. Shea Moisture Mist
7. Sta Sof Fro
8. S Curl
9. Hawaiin Silky
10 Taliah Waajid Mist Bodifier (2 bottles)
11. Giovanni Smooth as silk

Three products that I don't think I will try or keep
1. bio infusion rosemary mint conditioner
2. Moisure Max Olive Oil Conditioner
3. Cocoa Mango Butter Creme

Lanea87

Natural Gang Gang Gang
About to do a cowash mixed with an oil rinse.
Aussie Moist and WGO..... Hopefully Aussie will be gone soon.

I am almost done with this (French Stabilizer Plus),will not be rebuying.