Type 4a and 4b Hair and Detangling-Am I Chasing An Impossible Dream?

hottopic

Naturellle said:
The product that does it for me is Lacio Lacio leave-in conditioner:love:! Silicon Mix is the bomb but Lacio Lacio reigns supreme where detangling is concerned IMO.

I am texlaxed and Silicon products is it for me. I hope not but that is the only thing that seems to work for me so far. And I was a PJ. I tried. If someone finds "the product" I would love to know.

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
krissyprissy said:
I use AtOne and Ion Finishing Detangler. Plus I detangle under running water using my shower detangler and my smooth-n-detangle bruch by Scrunchi.

Do you use the "ends wrap" to wrap around your rollers to protect your hair, especially the ends?

Last edited:

Barbara

Princess
Infusium 23 works better than anything on my hair, but my stylist still has to get the kinks out especially in the top center of my head so I don't think there is anything out there that will make the tangles just glide out--as if my hair was type 1 hair.

Sassafrass

For me, Aveda Sap Moss conditioner or the Be Curly conditioners made my hair as tangle free as possible and this hair is a bonafide jungle of tangles!

gymfreak336

Pre-pooing with oil helped me out a ton last wash.

Also extending conditioning time from 20-30minutes to atleast an hour have helped alot too.

~*~ShopAholic~*~

I'm gonna say it is possible to find something a little better. I thought Silicone Mix was the only thing that would ever be able to help my NG when stretching until I finally DC with Praital Silk Worm conditioner recommended by Ekomba and girrrrl let me tell you, it is much more moisturizing and I can get the same results that I get from the silicone mix. The thing that bumps it above silicone mix for me is the moisture I get and the smell is ooooh so good. Now I also like to do a comb through while the moisturizing poo is in the hair that helps out alot and eliminates any tangle that may have occured dure the pooing process that way one you do at the conditioner and comb that through there very little or no detangling to do.

I'm just happy to have more than one option when it comes to combing from root to tip when I'm 10+ wks post relaxer. Now DivineInspiration has just posted about her coconut milk and oil mixture and I think I'm gonna give that a try, especially since I only need the coconut milk.

ETA: I forgot about Porosity Control that help out alot too, now that makes the tangles just melt, atleast for my hair anyway.

hot_pepper96

JCoily said:
I have never been able to get even 'good slip' from conditioners, but shampoo is what helps the comb glide through my hair. Now I ain't going to lie and say that it's a tangle free process, but detangling became MUCH easier when I switched from doing it with conditioner to detangling with moisturizing shampoo.

I use ouchless bands to secure the hair in 4 sections to rinse the shampoo out and keep them on through the conditioning process.

I agree with this. Twice I have detangled with my Wide tooth comb w/detangling shampoo in my hair. I think the cause of tangles is all of the dead hair gets trapped and it creates tiny knots. I've found if I comb out the dead hair carefully with detangling shampoo in my hair, that the rest of the wash goes alot easeir. Also, I apply serum (Santa Fe Serum) to sopping wet hair and I work it through. I let my hair drip dry for a while and then combing is very easy.

LocksOfLuV

BeautifulWideEyes said:
I'm gonna say it is possible to find something a little better. I thought Silicone Mix was the only thing that would ever be able to help my NG when stretching until I finally DC with Praital Silk Worm conditioner recommended by Ekomba and girrrrl let me tell you, it is much more moisturizing and I can get the same results that I get from the silicone mix. The thing that bumps it above silicone mix for me is the moisture I get and the smell is ooooh so good. Now I also like to do a comb through while the moisturizing poo is in the hair that helps out alot and eliminates any tangle that may have occured dure the pooing process that way one you do at the conditioner and comb that through there very little or no detangling to do.

I'm just happy to have more than one option when it comes to combing from root to tip when I'm 10+ wks post relaxer. Now DivineInspiration has just posted about her coconut milk and oil mixture and I think I'm gonna give that a try, especially since I only need the coconut milk.

ETA: I forgot about Porosity Control that help out alot too, now that makes the tangles just melt, atleast for my hair anyway.

Which Silk Worm one is this? I have seen about 3 different kinds?

LocksOfLuV

hot_pepper96 said:
I agree with this. Twice I have detangled with my Wide tooth comb w/detangling shampoo in my hair. I think the cause of tangles is all of the dead hair gets trapped and it creates tiny knots. I've found if I comb out the dead hair carefully with detangling shampoo in my hair, that the rest of the wash goes alot easeir. Also, I apply serum (Santa Fe Serum) to sopping wet hair and I work it through. I let my hair drip dry for a while and then combing is very easy.

Are you combingwhile rinsing the shampoo OUT or just combing while the shampoo is in your hair?

LiLi

CAPlush said:
I'm not going to say it is "impossible" but if you think about the structure of our hair, the strands are going to wrap around each other because of the shape irrespective of what product is used. I think there will always be some resistance, but I still think it a worthy quest. Please update us on any new finds!:)

I couldn't have said it any better myself. :)

~*~ShopAholic~*~

The bolded is sooooo true, this is why it's very important to do a good comb through b4 shampooing to remove any already shedd hairs. I also learned that a wide tooth comb all the time is not going to cut it, those big spaces in the comb skips over areas of hair, so I use both now on shampoo day.
hot_pepper96 said:

taraglam2

Fermodyl 619 -- Using this I have no tangles anymore. Honeydew was right on time with this product recommendation. After I have rinsed the conditioner out of my hair I just take the vial and pour it all over my hair, newgrowth ends, root to tip--- my hair loved it !

However no matter what I shampoo my hair with, my final shampoo is always with KENRA Moisturizing Shampoo and that helps greatly !!!!

If you find the perfect product please let us know ! You know us LHCF ladies are always looking for the next best thing ! :)

taraglam2

JCoily said:
I have never been able to get even 'good slip' from conditioners, but shampoo is what helps the comb glide through my hair. Now I ain't going to lie and say that it's a tangle free process, but detangling became MUCH easier when I switched from doing it with conditioner to detangling with moisturizing shampoo.

This is what I do using KENRA Moisturizing Shampo. I do not totally depend on slip from conditioners and leave-in anymore either but Fermodyl 619 gives my hair the xtra bit of help that I need and was looking for.

lowkeyhomie

BeautifulWideEyes said:

OMG yes! I just finished washing and dc-ing with this (mixed it with ORS conditioner) and my hair is so soft. Why did I stop using this again?

RubyWoo

BeautifulWideEyes said:

Do you think the Praital Silk worm gives great shine? Do you also have the rinse?

I've been very tempted to try the Praital Silk worm rinse and conditioner for a while because of Ekomba's(among others) reviews also. The only reason I haven't purchased it yet is because sickbay doesn't have it. I'm gonna have to add this to my wish list and breakdown and get them from ibeauy.com.

gymfreak336

yourleoqueen said:
Surge does it for me, maybe I'm odd.

I used to use surge to detangle and then I couldn't find it any more. It did work well. I got sort of a foamy slip, if you know what I mean.

bablou00

I have the silk worm and used it one time because it didnt do much for my hair. Maybe I should pull it out and try it for DCing. Aveda DR conditioner was great for my kinky, tight NG. I have never had such ease when combing my hair. I going to stick to that for awhile. But I the way our hair is structured I dont think we will ever have an easy time with detangling.

MonaLisa

JCoily said:

I use ouchless bands to secure the hair in 4 sections to rinse the shampoo out and keep them on through the conditioning process.

All I know is that I read this and Locks original post and I went out and got me a big bottle of CON (green label) poo. I need to never ever stray from this and keep a bottle in supply.

This should get me through the next 4-5 weeks until touch up time. I wish I would've had it yesterday when I was trying to wash...I know I lost some unnecessary hair due to tangling/knots. The NTM DDC got through most of it...but after I air dried...realized I missed some spots:mad: :(

Will be monitoring this thread for everyone's suggestions.

MonaLisa

BeautifulWideEyes said:

Dang! I wish I had read this yesterday for wash day! I have a bottle sitting in the closet. Will use next time.

*Happily Me*

subscribing...

I found 1 dread (which i was able to slowly detangle) and 2 knots that had to be cut out!:(

grrrrrrrrrrr!

hopeful

DSylla said:
subscribing...

I found 1 dread (which i was able to slowly detangle) and 2 knots that had to be cut out!:(

grrrrrrrrrrr!

Yes you better subscribe to this thread. You cannot lose any of that beautiful hair of yours. I loves your hair so much!

Fanscie

I have the worst hair to detangle. But detangling in the shower under running water has really been a life saver for me. The conditioner helps, but I was not able to find one that I truly worked until I detangled in the shower. But I do like Giovanni Direct leave-in. And I deep condition first with Design Essential Simulating Conditioner and I love it!

PinkPeony

DSylla said:
subscribing...

grrrrrrrrrrr!

Awwwww that's not good:( .
Does this happen often?

I dc overnight with ORS Replenishing Pak last night and poo'd this morning with CON red label... uhhh mega-slip anyone?:eek:

LocksOfLuV

ella said:
Awwwww that's not good:( .
Does this happen often?

I dc overnight with ORS Replenishing Pak last night and poo'd this morning with CON red label... uhhh mega-slip anyone?:eek:

So you did the reverse thing. Hmmm, I think I seriously need to try this. I started a thread about this a while back but I was too scared to try it. I am gonna try it forreal.

secretdiamond

^^ I'm scared to try it too LoL. I'd feel like I was washing out all the conditioner. But it would be a wonderful time-saver.

LocksOfLuV

secretdiamond said:
^^ I'm scared to try it too LoL. I'd feel like I was washing out all the conditioner. But it would be a wonderful time-saver.

Sure the heck would. I emailed Sistaslick on this subject and she emailed me this lovely post, but I accidently erased it. Basically she was saying it would be okay, but just to watch the protein moisture balance (since it can make your hair too soft) and also watch for build-up from CON. But she doesn't think there could be any negative side-effects from doing it.