Type 4 Ladies with fine/ thin hair and Over DC'ing?

Vintageglam

Hi just a quick question to all the other fine/ thin haired type 4 ladies out there;

I have fine type 4 hair which is also porous and have been reading some of the threads on the board recently which suggest that you can "over DC" fine/ fragile hair.

Anyway just wanted to find out how long you typically DC for, if your DC with heat and if you feel your hair benefits from longer or shorter DC's?

TIA Ladies :grin:

Nonie

I usually follow directions on the bottle, except for Emergencée for which I follow the original directions of leaving it on for ten mins instead of two. AO GPB and HSR say to leave on for 15 minutes and that's what I do. I haven't DC'd with heat in maybe almost a year. I haven't experimented to see if my hair hates or likes longer or shorter DCs. I sort of trust the product manufacturers to have had a reason for giving those times, like maybe more is redundant and less not enough? My hair seems to be doing OK to me.

LaidBak

In my opinion, yes you can over DC.
I've 'over conditioned' my fine 4a/b hair for most of my life. Even since joining the board I have over moisturized and over done the protein out of ignorance. I have had setbacks from it both ways. Its all about finding the right products/routine to maintain your P/M balance.
I still DC once or twice a week. I still use heat (I used to use a hood dryer, now I use a streamer) for 30 minutes. But I've found out which products NOT to use, and which ones to use in moderation to keep from over conditioning.

LushLox

I've only over moisturised once! Wasn't too much of a problem and I soon rectified it.

When I'm good and DC'ing twice a week I steam for an hour (30 minutes for two sessions). This is fine for me and keeps my hair at the right level of hydration.

Vintageglam

^^^ Thanks CreamTee this is what I think I will do from now on. I was previously steaming for 1 hr but think I may cut down to 1/2 hour unless I am doing Hard Protein treats or Henna (which IMO need the full hour).

Ese88

i dc once a week under the dryer for 20 mins. i don't do longer than that because i read that after this time the hair absorbs all that it needs frm the conditioner.
If i don't use heat i may leave it on for an hour or so. my hair usually feels the same with both methods

prettybyrd

When I DC for longer than 10-15 minutes my hair is left hard. I used to think that the longer I DC, the better, but this is not the case; especially for my fine strands.

I once followed the advice of a friend who told me to baggy with my DC on overnight and that my hair would be great in the morning. I tried this on more than one occassion, and each morning my hair was hard and dry, even after I washed the DC out, it was not a good idea (for my hair). I won't ever be trying that again!

I still DC with heat (with Lustrasilk Argan oil cholesterol) for 10-15 minutes because I like the way heat and the product leave my hair. Since I stopped over DC-ing splits and breaks have decreased significantly.

manter26

Like a previous poster said, I've over moisturized most of my life. My relaxed hair was mushy when wet. When I found the boards, I cowashed like crazy to help with stretching relaxers and lost so much hair.

I've been natural for a little over a year and recently over DC'd. I did a caramel treatment over night to help with prepping for straightening. This did me a disservice b/c it messed with my protein/moisture balance and I saw little pieces of broken hair everywhere.

I've since left my hair alone, deciding to let it dry out naturally instead of going crazy with protein treatments. Once I feel it's stronger, I'll go back to spraying every night, cowashing after workouts and DC'ing on the weekends with a moisture OR protein DC.

I won't leave anything in overnight, 2-3 hours is my max.

Vintageglam

I still DC with heat (with Lustrasilk Argan oil cholesterol) for 10-15 minutes because I like the way heat and the product leave my hair. Since I stopped over DC-ing splits and breaks have decreased significantly.

Where are you getting this stuff prettybyrd - I have never seen this one? :look:

ceebee3

I deep condition for 25 minutes with heat every week. Sometimes I'm lazy and I'll fall asleep with conditioner in but I haven't had any problems.

Imani

I DC under a steamer for about 20 to 30 minutes.

When I first joined the boards and tried to DC overnight and baggy and stuff, my hair was all mushy and weak the next day.

prettybyrd

Where are you getting this stuff prettybyrd - I have never seen this one? :look:

I bought it from my neighborhood BSS. :) I think it was about $2.99. It smells like the old school wheat germ shampoo, but it leaves the hair very soft. I just love it!

Last edited:

darlingdiva

I have fine, porous type 4 hair & hour-long DCs do not benefit my hair at all. They only cause problems (breakage, mushy hair, etc.). I only DC for 15 minutes with heat.

Vashti

Until i came to these boards I had no idea that anyone could over deep condition. i usually only do it for 30 minutes with heat.

Honey Bee

I have fine hair too. When I first joined, I was over-conditioned (from using Wen and no protein- duh). Once I figured out what was happening, I started using the Aphogee 2 min everytime I co wash (twice a week). It made a world of difference, no exaggeration. I'm transitioning, so I'm dc'ing twice a week, but everything's okay (... for now). Seems like the Aphogee really helps keep my balance right.

shamarie

With our type in my opinion....Yes u can over moisturize it, causing it to break. I feel that with our hair type, strict reggies dont work. We need to do what our hair needs at that time. Go with the flow of what your hair needs. My hair cant get enough protein. If i do use a moisturizing Conditioner i dont use heat. HTH

glamazon386

I usually DC overnight unless its a protein conditioner. I made the mistake of doing that once with DPR11 and my hair turned mushy. :ohwell:

Eluv

I’ve over moisturize once, but that was from using too much Wave Nouveau.

I DC twice a week on Dry hair using SE for 10 min w/heat and 2 hr w/o heat

I do believe you can over DC especially if you are incorporating co-washing as well.

NaturalEnigma

I over DC my hair recently. I noticed that one of my hair idols deep conditioned 2-3 times a week. I tried to follow her regimen, but I ended up with dry, rough hair that wouldn't cooperate. I solved my problem by clarifying my hair and deep conditioning less often. Now my hair is soft and manageable again. I'm starting to realize less is more with fine hair. DC too often can weigh down your hair, making it dull, and flat.

BlackDiamond21

As a 4 Lady, it is hard to balance it just right. Sometimes I think my hair is just the kind of hair that will break no matter what... :nono:

My suggestion is to be consistent with your products. If I was I am sure I had more success and that is my goal right now, being consistent :yep:. Not to say you have to follow the same rule every week, you have to be open to realizing maybe one week you have more strength then you need and need to skip that weeks protein treatment. Just try to use the same group of products once you found those that work for you.

I found success, when I was being consistent, with one week I DC with a moisturizing conditioner and the next I use protein conidtioner and the 3rd week I use a protein/moisturizing DC - then repeat until the week before my relaxer. The week before the relaxer, I would make sure to wash & cond with protein to ready the hair for the process. So it would be for instance:

W1 - Pantene R&N Mask
W2 - Salerm Protein Conditioner
W3 - Hask Henna & Placenta
Repeat
W Before Relaxer - Salerm Protein Poo & Condit

Hope this helps! :yep:

BD21

chasturner84

I’ve over moisturized before, but that was from constant overnight DC's and using waaaay too much Scurl. Now, I DC once a week on dry hair using AO Island Naturals :lick: for 15 min with a plastic cap and then I shampoo. I follow with ApHogee 2 min Reconstructor and then DC again with Kenra MC with heat for 20-30 min. I think by using the reconstructor, I have a handle on my protein/moisture balance and reduce the chance of over moisturizing and getting that "mushy/overly soft" feeling. I always follow my last DC (Kenra) with Roux PC to keep porosity issues at bay. My hair is usually soft but strong when I'm finished with my reggie.