Fine, thin, natural type 4 hair--can you post 'straightened' pics?

I'm curious to see how fine, thin, natural type 4 hair looks when straightened and if it appears thicker now than when you were relaxed (if you ever relaxed). I'm wanting to try out the flat iron (I usually just wear the hair stretched out when I want to wear it down), but I'm afraid that it might look too thin because that is what I experienced when relaxed.

Thanks in advance ladies!

If you don't press it bone-straight, you should be ok. Leave some texture in it when you press. Might be a little "stiff" but it'll appear fuller.

The first pic is natural, pressed bone-straight. The 2nd pic is natural but not bone straight due to humidity. The third pic is relaxed bone straight.

Attachments

• DSCF0049.jpg
    DSCF0049.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 202
  • DSCF0816.JPG
    DSCF0816.JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_0127e.jpg
    100_0127e.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 204
If you don't press it bone-straight, you should be ok. Leave some texture in it when you press. Might be a little "stiff" but it'll appear fuller.

The first pic is natural, pressed bone-straight. The 2nd pic is natural but not bone straight due to humidity. The third pic is relaxed bone straight.
Did you rinse it black in the 3rd pic??? love the way it looks :yep:

I have a pic I will try and post. I got my hair straightened bone straight and I am 4a thin, fine and natural....NEVER again. I looked bald although my hair was long and it was ery discouraging. The next day I went to a Caribbean country so the humidity puffed it up a bit and it looked good.
From now on I will rollerset and blowdry which gives more body

My hair has more volume as a natural but it still fairly straight and fine-strand when flat ironed. My hair is fine strand, medium density.

Pic 1: Fresh flat iron
Pic 2: Next day
Siggy is blow out

Last edited:
it's so funny you posted this thread today because I finally straightened my hair for my cousin's christening today (i'm washing it out tonight for a twistout)

It's the first straightening since after the weave removal last week. I have finer/thin hair all my life and my flat iron jobs look so much better after being natural. It looks and IS thicker. its the same as my siggy.

me2-2.jpg

and this is from last year before my last sew in
summer0915-vi.jpg

Last edited:
My hair has fine strand, but medium/thick density. It 'appears' to be much thicker than it really is because I'm natural. In this pic, the stylist straightened it bone straight.

(Pics are from Dec. 09 when I was still transitioning)

This is it straightened not as bone straight. (think this was after I chopped)

OT: See this is what I'm talking about. Even when slightly curled, it was barely APL. I HATE that! I guess I need at least MBL for it to look long.

Last edited:
Nichi, you and your hair are beautiful. Do you attribute weaves as the PS that got you to this length?

aww thanks so much!
I sure do. After I was having trouble getting to APL, I took to weaves and it helped me get over the hump. I tried to make weaving as much fun as possible while still missing the fun twistouts.

me.jpg

For OP, here's the most recent pic of a twistout on natural 4a hair. It's definitely fuller and feels thicker than when I was relaxed back in the gap.

it's so funny you posted this thread today because I finally straightened my hair for my cousin's christening today (i'm washing it out tonight for a twistout)

It's the first straightening since after the weave removal last week. I have finer/thin hair all my life and my flat iron jobs look so much better after being natural. It looks and IS thicker. its the same as my siggy.

Girl that's fabulous! I am loving your hair! Even when I was BSL and got it curled, it looked like it was APL. Your hair is gorgeous! Now you're tempting me to take out this weave.

me2-2.jpg

summer0915-vi.jpg
Wow your hair has grown out so much! It's beautiful!!!!!

This is the best pic I have which is not great

my hair is about APL...I have tecnically been natural all my life just didn't take care of it until now. My hair hasn't really thickened up that much but like I said keeping it natural or only 85% straight gives it a good thick look

Girl that's fabulous! I am loving your hair! Even when I was BSL and got it curled, it looked like it was APL. Your hair is gorgeous! Now you're tempting me to take out this weave.

Thanks so much. You're one of my hair idols, so you saying this makes me so happy. Yeah Im happy it still reaches BSL after some curls. I tried to comb/brush the mess out of the curls before the pic but they were stuck in there. I want to rinse darker and try a better clear rinse. I saw some people with their own hair out in huge twistouts and I had to take the weave out. I couldn't take it!!

Nichi how did you get your hair to thicken up SO MUCH from your initial pictures in your Fotki (which is kinda where I am at now :look:).

I had to quit the weaves bc DH and my Dermatologist said they were not helping my edges. My plan now is wigs and half-wigs...

Nichi how did you get your hair to thicken up SO MUCH from your initial pictures in your Fotki (which is kinda where I am at now :look:).

I had to quit the weaves bc DH and my Dermatologist said they were not helping my edges. My plan now is wigs and half-wigs...

Oh my, are you serious?! That's so unfortunate, I wonder if your weavologist was doing it too tight around the edges. Good idea on the wigs, maybe it's for the best. Bunning too.

To be honest, I attribute a lot of the thickness to cutting out the relaxers. I have fine hair so the perms would thin it out some more. My shea butter and oil whipped mix and washing. along with more lhcf quick tips, i was set!

Oh my, are you serious?! That's so unfortunate, I wonder if your weavologist was doing it too tight around the edges. Good idea on the wigs, maybe it's for the best. Bunning too.

To be honest, I attribute a lot of the thickness to cutting out the relaxers. I have fine hair so the perms would thin it out some more. My shea butter and oil whipped mix and washing. along with more lhcf quick tips, i was set!

Hi Nichi, No my edges have always been weak. Most recent stylist was great however I want my edges to recover (as they are doing now) and not get worse. :yep:

Anyway - spill those tips girl and what is this I hear about a Shea butter Mix :sekret:

Nichi, you have a color rinse in the pics, or you're planning to? If you already have a rinse, which one?
I've thought about going jet black...

OP my hair is definitely much thicker-looking sans the relaxer. I wouldn't say it IS thicker, it's just fluffier, and much easier to create a fuller look. My hair would relax bone straight no matter how long it was left in. I like being able to choose how straight I want my hair to be when I flat iron now.

ETA: I find that my hair looks full when I wear it in a bun or 2 over night for a "body wave" -- that's what's going on in my siggy pic.

Thank you ladies so much for sharing your pictures! My fine hair is why I never felt comfortable wearing my hair bone straight when I was relaxed. I think I might stick to just blowdrying it and then putting it into a bantu knot for the big, wavy look.

When I was relaxed, if I wore it down I would wear it over over shoulder like this.
p_long_hair_celebrities_p09.jpg

It always looked thicker that way because all of the hair was gathered in one place, if that makes sense. If I decide to try out the flat iron, I will do just that. Thanks again everyone! I hope this thread can help others as well.

Nichi, you have a color rinse in the pics, or you're planning to? If you already have a rinse, which one?
I've thought about going jet black...

OP my hair is definitely much thicker-looking sans the relaxer. I wouldn't say it IS thicker, it's just fluffier, and much easier to create a fuller look. My hair would relax bone straight no matter how long it was left in. I like being able to choose how straight I want my hair to be when I flat iron now.

ETA: I find that my hair looks full when I wear it in a bun or 2 over night for a "body wave" -- that's what's going on in my siggy pic.

The bolded is me. It's SOOOO true. I feel like I have a choice now. Good explanation!

ETA: I tried Clairol Beautiful something in Jet Black. It didn't work. I know it looks dark in the pics but I wanted DARK. I was told to try Jazzings in Bluest Black.

Stella, I like your new screen name, I was confused at first, lol.
When I came back from Naija, I had some raw African shea i got from the market. I melt chunk of it slightly then whip it with olive/castor/coconut/peppermint oils and it makes a creamy, thick buttery spread that I use on my hair and scalp. It's my ONLY moisturizer now. I place it in a used/cleaned out Moroccan Oil jar. I made it for all my friends and they love it, natural and relaxed.

Last edited:
Check my sig. I have fine strands, and I'm afraid that my hair is just gonna look THIN when it gets longer. It's already beginning to get there.

The bolded is me. It's SOOOO true. I feel like I have a choice now. Good explanation!

Stella, I like your new screen name, I was confused at first, lol.
When I came back from Naija, I had some raw African shea i got from the market. I melt chunk of it slightly then whip it with olive/castor/coconut/peppermint oils and it makes a creamy, thick buttery spread that I use on my hair and scalp. It's my ONLY moisturizer now. I place it in a used/cleaned out Moroccan Oil jar. I made it for all my friends and they love it, natural and relaxed.

Yeah - that's what I am talkin about !!! :grin:

Thanks Nichi :up:

x Stella

me2-2.jpg

summer0915-vi.jpg

OMG..ur hair has grown! Do you have to wash in 2nite? im curious how long it"ll last

OMG..ur hair has grown! Do you have to wash in 2nite? im curious how long it"ll last

Thank you!
I ended up not washing it tonight due to schedule, maybe tomorrow. It would last a week, or a little more, but I wash my hair every weekend anyway. I dont want to wear straight hair much right now. I want hair out of my face.

Ive noticed with the longer hair, I keep moving hair out of my face and it's causing breakouts. The hair gets on my lipgloss and i hate that. I just really want a hairstyle that's out of the way. Like a bun or twistout where i can quickly do for work. I'm beginning to realize longer hair and straightened (for me) will only be on occasion because it can get sort of annoying.

Back