Tips on Self Relaxing Please

daviine

My sister (who is slowly becoming hair-obsessed) would like to relax her hair at home. She asked me to aske my all-mighty cybersisters for tips on self-relaxing. Please post your tips on self-relaxing. Thank in advance. Your advice is greatly appreciated.

• Never itch the scalp or wash the hair for about 2-3 days before the relaxer
  • Make sure the scalp and hairline all the way around is based heavily. You can use a petroleum product which I used or Elucence makes a balm that can be used for basing. I divide my hair into 4 sections only, these are the same sections what will be relaxed. I base each section in a criss cross pattern making sure I base as much as possible. If you are doing it right and thouroughly it should take about 45-60 minutes
  • Some ladies here actually protect the previously relaxed hair by putting product over it to stop it from getting the benefits from the relaxer. I personally don't do this, but it all depends how experienced you are in not getting any of the cream on the relxed hair.
  • I don't know what relaxer she's going to be using. I'm guessing from your advice she's going to be using a lye relxer. I mix a lil Olive oil in mine and give it a good whipping up in the(non metallic) bowl. I use a plastic chopstick for mine to whip it all up, I don't use anything metal when handling my relaxer. I have better results when I mix up my relaxer, it makes it more smooth and cuts down on the smoothing time on the hair.
  • Things to have on standby: A timer for the application time; Tinting brush to apply the relaxer; small comb, to use the back for smoothing not combing the relaxer through; plastic gloves; a towel for the shoulders; 2 mirrors if possible one set up at the back infromt of the front mirroe to see the back of the hair; someone to assist in the process
  • I always start at the back but never directly on the kitchen areas i leave this as well as the hairline till last as it's very tender and finer than the rest of my hair. I start about an inch up from the back. Start the timer. Use the pointy end of the brush to part along the section apply the cream to the new growth only going in a downwards direction. At this point I smooth it down with either the brush or the back of the comb. Don't be stingy with the amount of relaxer you use. Part the next line of hair, make it hang down over the relaxed line of hair below and apply a generous amount to the top portion on the hair. When you use a generous amount, and smoothed, the relaxer should go through those few layers of hair that you didn't directly touch with the relaxer if that makes any sense.
  • Continue doing this until each section has relaxer applied and smoothed down. On average when done each section takes me approx 4-4.5 minutes. Move onto the next section straight away. I do the bottom left, bottom right then top left, top right, the hairline and the kitchen last.
  • Rinse out each section in the order that you relaxed in with water first. This gives the other sections the same amount of time to relax properly. If done too soon the some areas will come out underprocessed.
  • After each section has been rinsed thoroughly use your neutralising shampoo to wash out all traces of relaxer. Remember you need to wash away the PJ from the scalp used from basing as well. I sometimes find after a relaxer I have to shampoo my hair a good 5 times to get it all out.
  • Depending on how my hair feels I may finish up with a moisturising shampoo before going onto conditioning.
  • I'd say definitely do a deep conditioning with heat after a relaxer, but don't make it too hot as your scalp is still sensitive.

I hope this helps.
    This is my method of relaxing that works fine for me, there are others that some other ladies do that I might have forgotten.

For a second I forgot this was a hair board and was going to suggest meditation... lol!!!

No problem Daviine.

LMAO @ vevster. And there's me staring at my comp for like 30 seconds trying to get the joke. I swear I was blonde in a previous life. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Me too Londondiva...I was like blonde (without the damaged hair) for a good 30 seconds or MORE.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

DANG... LD, I've NEVER done my own relaxer. But I'm truly inspired after reading this!! Bless you for taking the time to write that....
/images/graemlins/rosebud.gif

wow this is good information. thanks londondiva. /images/graemlins/smile.gif God bless you all.

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
LondonDiva said:
  • Never itch the scalp or wash the hair for about 2-3 days before the relaxer

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought you had to wait a minimum of 7 days before a retouch. I can do it sooner? /images/graemlins/blush.gif Also, can Adore semi-permanent color be applied after the relaxing process or do you have to wait 2 wks? Thanks for your help.

i actually have a question. how are you ensuring that you just do your scalp and not touch the new growth? and for those who put something on the hair as well how are you determining where to stop? /images/graemlins/confused.gif and what are the types of products you use? would vaseline be okay or are there products out there that can be used as well. i have the affirm gentle assurance thing for the hairline but it says nothing about the scalp so i am sure if it can be used for that and the hair as well. God bless you all.

yes, semi-perm color can be applied during the same wash cycle as a relaxer. the adore says wash (in this case after u neutralize) apply color wash again and condition as usual... For many the color may take very well b/c the hair is more porous post-relaxer and the color has a better opportunity to stain.
Actually this may be a conditioning action, since it seals the cuticles. I added some adore to the rest of my motions MP, and i'll be testing that mid-april (i'm copying off of their color return).. tracy has inspired me to experiment with semi-perm colors BIg time!!! I already have some lined up
Adore in cinnamon for april
Jazzing in Creme soda for the summer

Thanks for your response. Well can I take it a step further an top it off with Hennalucent? I thought I read that somewhere in another thread.

Yea i was wondering about the Affirm Gentle Assurance too? Anyone used that without burning on the scalp? (When using Affirm relaxer?)

Beans....

Well listen to you....

I am so proud...so proud...
grin.gif
HIGH FIVE GIRL! YA SOUND LIKE A COLOR GURU!

3-4 days before my touch up, I like to "air dry" my hair after washing it. This helps to give the hair much needed addl moisture
smile.gif

Tips on Self Relaxing Please - Hello Londondiva?

I was reading this older post. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Would one follow the same instructions for applying a "virgin relaxer"? Here is a picture of my hair: http://www.fotki.com/d0mufasa

I was thinking about doing one section, rinsing it out, neutralizing then applying conditioner - then moving to the next section and doing the same thing until the whole head is done. I was thinking that it would take a bit of time to work on one section.

Also, how much Olive Oil does one apply to the perm? Does that slow down the processing?

Finally, what about applying Hennalucent immediately after the perming process (or lotus flower) - would this be OK? Does this process make the hair shiny?

Kind Regards.

Re: Tips on Self Relaxing Please - Hello Londondiva?

Hey Mufasa
wave.gif

I think it's a lil bit more tricky with virgin hair to be totally honest with you. I have NEVER gone to a salon for any chemical, colour, cut etc only for braids as I don't trust em. Plus if anyone's gonna jack up my hair it's gonna be me
smile.gif

If you feel competant with doing your own touch up then go right ahead. Have you been relaxed before and had experience doing them or anyone elses hair for that matter?

A virgin relaxer depending on your hair length maybe a lot easier than a touch up and you don't have to worry about overlapping as it's just putting the cream on from root to ends and smoothing it down the entire hair shaft.

I'd say part it in 4 sections and work that way. I wouldn't advise the washing of different sections then starting over because water would definitly get on other parts of the hair and that is a no no about 3 days prior to relaxing.

Is there a possiblility you could get someone to help you that you TRUST. Or maybe interviewing stylists for the virgin relaxer, sitting in the salon and watching how they do it and then proceed with the touch ups yourself from then on??

What relaxer do you intend to use?
If you haven't got it already make sure you get some Aphogee Treatment on hand and a moisturisng conditioner for after your relaxer.

I haven't seen your pics yet as my comp is deciding to act up on me. I'll respond back when I do
smile.gif

Hey Mufasa, that is some beautiful hair you got there girl
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I was reading this older post. Thank you for taking the time to write this. Would one follow the same instructions for applying a "virgin relaxer"? Here is a picture of my hair: http://www.fotki.com/d0mufasa

I was thinking about doing one section, rinsing it out, neutralizing then applying conditioner - then moving to the next section and doing the same thing until the whole head is done. I was thinking that it would take a bit of time to work on one section.

Also, how much Olive Oil does one apply to the perm? Does that slow down the processing?

Finally, what about applying Hennalucent immediately after the perming process (or lotus flower) - would this be OK? Does this process make the hair shiny?

Kind Regards.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done something similar to what you've described when I texturized my hair after being natural for a few months. I divided the hair on my head in half. Straight down the middle from forehead to nape. I put a plastic cap on one half and proceeded to relax the other half. I rinsed, neutralized, and conditioned the relaxed half. I did the same to the second half the next day. It went well.

Hi Londondiva and CurlyCrly,

Thank you so much for responding
smile.gif
I am such a chicken with this! I am now looking at using the Revlon Mild relaxer product for texturizing. I have heard that Mizani and Affirm are most popular on the board. A hair dresser tried to get me to try Rusk Anti Curl because she said that the Affirm was too drying. It seems that Affirm and Mizani can only be purchased in beauty salons - otherwise, I would go for Affirm with FiberGuard.

CurlyCrly, I would like to give your method a try. I just want to texturize - not fully straighten - just make it so that it is a little easier to comb and style - I have heard of putting perm on 1/2 and then working with the other later on. What perm did you use and how long did you leave it on for the texturized look?

Kind Regards.

I used Revlon Realistic (lye). I had to use Regular strength, left on for 15 minutes because the Mild does absolutely nothing to my hair at all. You can see my picture in the photo gallery to see how it looks. I really like my hair texturized more than I did when it was natural and when it was straighter.

Hi again CurlyCrly,

It looks like a good option for me
laugh.gif
It is good to see someone who has been successful with this! It looks so shiny and healthy even though it is dry.

I have the mild perm and will do a strand test. If it doesn't work, then I guess it is back to the drawing board
frown.gif
I remember it working OK on my hair back when I was younger. I remember doing a strand test with S-Curl a little while ago with hair from the "kinkiest" area of my head.

After 8 minutes, the hair was *straight*. I had assumed that the Revlon Mild would react in a similar fashion (a reason why I wanted to avoid perming the entire head at one time - it would take longer than 5 minutes to cover it all).

So you don't experience any breakage at all around the line of demarkation?
You are also able to wear other hairstyles as well with no problems?
Do you work with the protective styles too (i.e. the phonytails, etc.)?

Thank you again for your experience and help
smile.gif

Kind Regards.

No, I don't experience any breakage at all. I can wear any hairstyle. I can roller set, blow dry, wear twists, etc. I never wore protective styles, even when I wore it straight every single day. I did wear twists for about 6 months the year before last because I was lazy. I'd completely redo them every 2-3 weeks. I may go back to wearing them this summer from time to time.

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Mufasa, that is some beautiful hair you got there girl
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Say Armyqt - thank you for the compliment
laugh.gif
Now if I can just do something with it
smile.gif
I have seen your posts. I am thinking of trying the Henna treatment (the one purchased from Sally's) after applying the perm - especially since you have had extremely good results with it

I have to agree with ArmyQT there, you do have some beautiful hair there girl.
smile.gif

Thank you Londondiva for the compliment and thanks to you CurlyCrly for the info. Will see what happens next ...

Kindest Regards
laugh.gif

Back