The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

yay, welcome to the challenge! your hair is beautiful. :)

oh cool, you'll be doing flexi rod sets. I've always been curious about them myself.

I sent you a P.M. LivingDoll.

A) Post a Starting Picture by May 1st.

This is my starting picture. My goal is to grow out these layers in the front to chin and shoulder length. I want to reach WL this year.
relaxed3-vi.jpg

B) Post your regimen using the following questionnaire:
1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?I will be rollersetting once a week.
2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc? I only do ponytail method.
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? I will be using rollers ranging between 3/4 to 3 inch depending on whether I want curly are straight hair. I also will be using flexi rods.
4) What products will you be using for your set? I use 3 parts water to 1 part ORS setting lotion.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? I will mainly airdry, but I will also use my conair roll around stand dryer.
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Buns and ponytails.

Shampood with Kenra Shampoo for Fine/Thin Hair

Dc'd for an hour with heat w/Paul Mitchell Super Charged

Rollerset using Fermodyl Special, Silicon Mix and Silky Milk as leave ins. And for the serum, I chose Silicon Mix.

Under the dryer now, can't wait till I'm done, so I can go to bed!

okay i put my dryer together and then started my routine. co washed with HE LTR, DCed for 30 minutes with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner.

roller set my hair on blue and grey rollers. it took me 45 minutes again. got under the dryer at 9PM, and checked after an hour. the bottom rollers were still pretty damp. so i stayed under the dryer for about 90 minutes total.

i think i have to make sure the dryer is tilted at the right angle, and definitely try to stay under the dryer the entire time! I kept getting up b/c it was too hot. how do i manage at the salon??!

anyone, 90 minutes under the dryer is a far better improvement from 2.5 - 3 hours under a bonnet dryer. :)

okay i put my dryer together and then started my routine. co washed with HE LTR, DCed for 30 minutes with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Deep Conditioner.
roller set my hair on blue and grey rollers. it took me 45 minutes again. got under the dryer at 9PM, and checked after an hour. the bottom rollers were still pretty damp. so i stayed under the dryer for about 90 minutes total.
i think i have to make sure the dryer is tilted at the right angle, and definitely try to stay under the dryer the entire time! I kept getting up b/c it was too hot. how do i manage at the salon??!
anyone, 90 minutes under the dryer is a far better improvement from 2.5 - 3 hours under a bonnet dryer. :)
Yep, you definitely have to have the right angle and make sure that you have the front visor down as well. I always pulled the dryer foreward, so the back of the dryer was "cupping" the back of my head. That way, I knew the bottom rollers would get dry as fast as the top :)

Hello all! LivingDol I sent you a PM. Idk why Im so nervous about this challenge but I'll be fine. Im new to the site so Im just excited to learn new techniques, products, etc.

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?
I will most likely be roller setting once a week.
2)What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
I will be using the anchor/mohawk method.
3) What type/size rollers will you be using?
I will be using the red and purple magnetic rollers.
4) What products will you be using for your set?
I will be using Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in, and Cream of Nature Leave-in.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?
I will be using the
Belson Gold N HOT Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer.
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends?
Updos, ponytails, buns and any other styles I can find!

Happy Rollersetting Ladies!

Last edited:
Welcome ChcolatAquarius!!!

Ladies I am so excited!! I ordered a steamer from SalonsRus and I just checked tracking information. And, I should have it by the time I get home from work.

welcome to the challenge! :yay:

Hello all! LivingDol I sent you a PM. Idk why Im so nervous about this challenge but I'll be fine. Im new to the site so Im just excited to learn new techniques, products, etc.

I will most likely be roller setting once a week.
2)What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
I will be using the anchor/mohawk method.
I will be using the red and purple magnetic rollers.
I will be using Aphogee Green Tea Reconstructor, Paul Mitchell Skinny Serum, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin Leave-in, and Cream of Nature Leave-in.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand?
I will be using the
Belson Gold N HOT Ionic Soft Bonnet Dryer.
Updos, ponytails, buns and any other styles I can find!

Happy Rollersetting Ladies!

oooh, a steamer. is it like a stand up steamer? will you use it for dcing?

Ladies I am so excited!! I ordered a steamer from SalonsRus and I just checked tracking information. And, I should have it by the time I get home from work.

Oooh, I'm so jelly!!! Will you use it today?

Yes!!! I think I will go and buy some new conditioner for the occasion. I want to try the MillsCreek Keratin something.... conditioner from the Vitamin Shop. I was reading a thread about it the other day, I think I'll go look for it after work.

Hi Ladies,

This is my first official challenge, and I am ready to go.....

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? I will shoot for TWICE, but def. ONCE a week!
2) What technique will you be using to set? Either the Ponytail or regular method. (I tried the ponytail method today, and maybe it is just me....but it took twice as long to do!)
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? Random sizes, as I use the Goody RollerSetting Pack (it came with like 75 rollers & pins for 13.00!!!!, cha-ching)
4) What products will you be using for your set? 75% water, 25% LottaBody setting lotion and I just fell in love with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol as a leave-in. This MAY replace the LottaBody.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Either Air-dry or under my GE Bonnet dryer.
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Either buns or phony ponies. I will rarely wear it out!

As for my pic....you should see it below....if not, I will re-post it again (sorry if it doubles, I am still new @ this! lol)

Last edited:
yay welcome! :yay:

Hi Ladies,

This is my first official challenge, and I am ready to go.....

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? I will shoot for TWICE, but def. ONCE a week!
2) What technique will you be using to set? Either the Ponytail or regular method. (I tried the ponytail method today, and maybe it is just me....but it took twice as long to do!)
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? Random sizes, as I use the Goody RollerSetting Pack (it came with like 75 rollers & pins for 13.00!!!!, cha-ching)
4) What products will you be using for your set? 75% water, 25% LottaBody setting lotion and I just fell in love with Lustrasilk Shea Butter Cholesterol as a leave-in. This MAY replace the LottaBody.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Either Air-dry or under my GE Bonnet dryer.
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Either buns or phony ponies. I will rarely wear it out!

As for my pic....you should see it below....if not, I will re-post it again (sorry if it doubles, I am still new @ this! lol)

Today I did test run due to the fact that I have never rollerset my own hair. I used a Pantene leave in and castor oil on my ends (big mistake):nono:

Overall the results were suprisingly good.I don't have a hood dryer so I used the bonnet that attaches to my yellow bird . My hair dried in about an hour which is really :woohoo:considering the fact that my hair ispretty thick. It took me about 90 mins to set . Hopefully with more practice I can cut this in half.

My hair is natural so my roots came out really fluffy. I wrapped it for about an hour the edges smoothed but the middle was still kind of a halffro. I had to take a hot comb to my roots. I am welcoming any and all suggestions on how to fix this with no direct heat so I can stay true to the challenge.

Things I learned for next time
1 No castor oil (it made my hair feel heavy and goopy) maybe I will use coconut or EVOO
2 Serious tension is needed on roots

you can see my results in my fotki. http://public.fotki.com/caramelkisses1107/1sttryrollerset42909/

Okay here goes
Once a week
2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
Anchor , Mowhawk , middle part
tan(1"), aqua (1 1/4"), red (1 1/2") and purple (1 3/4") once I get my new dryer.
Elasta QP Silk or Lottabody, silicon mix leave in and drops
http://store.goldenmartbeautysupply.com/gonhotjetbod.html until I can get a good stand up or rollabout
Buns,ponys & Clip ups

Happy Setting Ladies

Attachments

• HPIM0346.jpg
    HPIM0346.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 18
ciao.

your first set looked really good! love your hair color, btw. i think it's OK to straighten the roots if you must. i would imagine a hot comb gets higher temps than a flat iron and i don't know if you'd be willing to try a flat iron instead. i don't know much about hot combs but hopefully someone else will jump in with good suggestions.

i get wavy roots most of the time when i set, but sitting under the dryer with my hair wrapped with saran wrap usually gets my hair silky straight at the root.

Coconut Oil is proly a better alternative to Castor Oil. Since it penetrates the hair shaft and is pretty light.

Today I did test run due to the fact that I have never rollerset my own hair. I used a Pantene leave in and castor oil on my ends (big mistake):nono:

Overall the results were suprisingly good.I don't have a hood dryer so I used the bonnet that attaches to my yellow bird . My hair dried in about an hour which is really :woohoo:considering the fact that my hair ispretty thick. It took me about 90 mins to set . Hopefully with more practice I can cut this in half.

My hair is natural so my roots came out really fluffy. I wrapped it for about an hour the edges smoothed but the middle was still kind of a halffro. I had to take a hot comb to my roots. I am welcoming any and all suggestions on how to fix this with no direct heat so I can stay true to the challenge.

Things I learned for next time
1 No castor oil (it made my hair feel heavy and goopy) maybe I will use coconut or EVOO
2 Serious tension is needed on roots

you can see my results in my fotki. http://public.fotki.com/caramelkisses1107/1sttryrollerset42909/

Last edited:
carmelkisses- you did a great job for never roller setting before with natural hair! i unfortunately have no tips for you - as i am still practicing myself.

Great job caramel kisses.

I always mix castor oil with water, that way it's not too thick and heavy on my ends, it more or less comes out good when I do it like this.

To work on tension, try the anchor method, there may be a link at the beginning of this thread if not check out Lady Elle's tutuorial on youtube. It really does tackle the issue of tension and it ensures the roots are taut and smooth. It does take slighly longer to dry than a normal set though. HTH :)

I would like to join this challenge as well. I am not a rollerset pro, I did it a couple of times and it takes forever to complete my set...A little bit of practice is what I need, I think. So can anybody tell me where I can find those Alligator clips that go all the way to the back online? I am sure you know what I mean, they are more stable than the normal ones. I live in Montreal and I don't seem to find them locally. Or would one of you guys be kind enough to buy them for me? I will you send you the payment shipping included via Paypal. Anyways, thanks for your help in advance. Take care :)

I would like to join this challenge as well. I am not a rollerset pro, I did it a couple of times and it takes forever to complete my set...A little bit of practice is what I need, I think. So can anybody tell me where I can find those Alligator clips that go all the way to the back online? I am sure you know what I mean, they are more stable than the normal ones. I live in Montreal and I don't seem to find them locally. Or would one of you guys be kind enough to buy them for me? I will you send you the payment shipping included via Paypal. Anyways, thanks for your help in advance. Take care :)

welcome mamato. :) don't forget to answer the questionnaire on the first page of the thread.

can you post a picture if what an alligator clip looks like?

Here's my Bio for this challenge:

I am going for twice a week; Mondays and Fridays. Theose are my hair wash days.

2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc?
I will be doing the ponytail method, for now.

I will be using the largest for my length to cut down on dryer time.

Lots of H20 with a little leave-in conditioner. Maybe Gionvanni?

I have a Dazey Natural hooded and Conair bonnet dryer.

I will be bunning or banding. I do this anyway becaue I work in a hospital.

This challenge will coinside with the 6 month no trimming challenge that I am participating in. MBL, I'm coming for ya! :grin:

BTW: this is the hair I am working with:

GEDC0147-1.jpg

Wet Hair

GEDC0155.jpg

Texture shot

I hope I can do this...

Last edited:
1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? 1X a week
2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc? Normal, no anchor, may damage my hair
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? Big grey ones
4) What products will you be using for your set? Mix of Lacio Lacio, Chi Silk, Keracare setting lotion and water
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Goldnhot hooded dryer
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Ponytails or Hair up in a jaw clip

This is the kind of clips I am talking about, but the ones I am looking for have an opening that goes all the way to the back of the clip to secure the roller more efficiently.

Technically sense the challenge doesn't start until tomorrow, if I relaxed and flat ironed today in theory I would still have 4 heat passes right?:look:

Technically sense the challenge doesn't start until tomorrow, if I relaxed and flat ironed today in theory I would still have 4 heat passes right?:look:

Clever girl - I like your style! :lol::lol:

So should we all submit pics for the start of the challenge tomorrow LD? :)

i think i know what you are talking about.

this clip pictures below is what i use to hold rollers together. the opening goes all the way to the back, past the spring, and does allow to hold more in. it doesn't have a side view, but this is the front view.

3665920103-2.jpg

i got these from Ricky's. rickysnyc.com. they do not offer international shipping.

This is the kind of clips I am talking about, but the ones I am looking for have an opening that goes all the way to the back of the clip to secure the roller more efficiently.

Clever girl - I like your style! :lol::lol:

So should we all submit pics for the start of the challenge tomorrow LD? :)

yeah, if you haven't already submitted a pic, submit on or before the 1st. no biggie. :) the ones that were posted prior to are just fine. :grin:

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? 1X a week
2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc? Normal, no anchor, may damage my hair
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? Big grey ones
4) What products will you be using for your set? Mix of Lacio Lacio, Chi Silk, Keracare setting lotion and water
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Goldnhot hooded dryer
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Ponytails or Hair up in a jaw clip

Ohhhh, okay, I know what you're talking about! Those things make a huge difference! Here are the ones I have: https://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/product_view.php?itemCode=P6FA230307KM1138

They have really fast shipping, great store :yep:

Back