The Roller Setting & Protective Styling Challenge!

I am bummed. My rollerset came out horrible. I made a lot of mistakes. First I started too late and then I rushed through rolling and did not let my hair dry completely and then I was rough when taking the pins out and had a lot of broken hair. Next Sat I am gong to make sure I start earlier and take my time and not rush. I am also going to start back using my Mizani Rollerwrap.
Aw that sucks. Rollersetting takes soooo long, it's always disappointing when it doesn't turn out right. I'm sure it'll come out great next time! :yep:

oh no! :sad: you know, sometimes if my hair is still damp, i wind up taking out my rollers, pinning my hair as though they were still in rollers(with bobby pins. not clips), and then sit under the dryer for an extra 20-30 minutes. that usually gets my hair dry.
good luck!
Good tip! I'll have to try that, because my bottom rollers are always damp. Stupid dryer doesn't reach the bottom of my head :ohwell:

Thank Tiffers. I needed that. I am just going to start earlier next Sat and take my time and review some more roller setting videos.

I'm sitting here with Kenra MC on my head. I don't feel like getting up and rinsing it out :perplexed I had to MAKE myself wash my hair today, I feel like being lazy. Sigh. I don't wanna rollerset today!!!! *throwing temper tantrum*

I'm sitting here with Kenra MC on my head. I don't feel like getting up and rinsing it out :perplexed I had to MAKE myself wash my hair today, I feel like being lazy. Sigh. I don't wanna rollerset today!!!! *throwing temper tantrum*

lol. yeah, i hear you. it takes a lot since you have to set aside the time! can you dc overnight and afford to roller set tomorrow am? or improvise?

i was going to do it today as well but i just don't feel like it. lol. i washed my hair on friday but i spent all day in the park and it was so hot... whatever. i will rock a bun until wednesday. and by then, i'll have my professional dryer! woot!

I know the feeling and that is why I am only roller setting on the weekend.

faboo. good luck with the interview! :)

I couldn't wait so I decided to to lightly press my hair and post my pic now. Excuse my big pic and my back fat. :spinning::spinning:

062.jpg

I am wishy washy with styling my hair but nothing seems to do me as good as rollersetting so I am in...

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? One or twice a month
2) What technique will you be using to set? Mohawk method and flat ironning the roots

3) What type/size rollers will you be using? I like the magenta/purple ones the best. The gray is ok for less curly.
4) What products will you be using for your set? Aphogee Green Tea, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin, and CHI Silk Infusion, Water - after coconut oil and Aveda Emollient Finishing Gloss
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Hooded Dryer by Pro-tools ED2400 tabletop; I want a pibbs:yep:
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Buns...:look: I am not that creative with my hair.

From my last rollerset 4 days ago (april 23rd)
STP83453-vi.jpg

Okay, so I finally quit being a lazy bones and rollerset

Mixed some Salerm 21 b5 and Lacio Lacio together. Then for serum I mixed Silicon Mix Serum and Q.Silk Serum

My hair came out soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo soft and smooth :love: It was painful for me to put it back in a baggy, but I'm glad I did cause I woulda had some SERIOUS HIH disease!!!

lol. yeah, i hear you. it takes a lot since you have to set aside the time! can you dc overnight and afford to roller set tomorrow am? or improvise?
i was going to do it today as well but i just don't feel like it. lol. i washed my hair on friday but i spent all day in the park and it was so hot... whatever. i will rock a bun until wednesday. and by then, i'll have my professional dryer! woot!
I thought about dc'ing overnight, but I KNEW if I put it off, I'd be sitting with that bag on my head for days! :lachen:

What dryer did you choose? I know you're excited!!! :yay:

Last edited:
welcome to the challenge!

I am wishy washy with styling my hair but nothing seems to do me as good as rollersetting so I am in...

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? One or twice a month
2) What technique will you be using to set? Mohawk method and flat ironning the roots

3) What type/size rollers will you be using? I like the magenta/purple ones the best. The gray is ok for less curly.
4) What products will you be using for your set? Aphogee Green Tea, Aphogee Pro-Vitamin, and CHI Silk Infusion, Water - after coconut oil and Aveda Emollient Finishing Gloss
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Hooded Dryer by Pro-tools ED2400 tabletop; I want a pibbs:yep:
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Buns...:look: I am not that creative with my hair.

From my last rollerset 4 days ago (april 23rd)
STP83453-vi.jpg

I thought about dc'ing overnight, but I KNEW if I put it off, I'd be sitting with that bag on my head for days! :lachen:

What dryer did you choose? I know you're excited!!! :yay:

hola. i am going with the hot tools. at the end of the day, it was the least expensive($99 and free shipping), and this is the first time i'll be using a dryer like this. if it really works for me, the maybe i'll graduate to something more fabulous later on. it seemed to get mostly good reviews on this board.

i am supposed to get my dryer today via UPS. they're so fast! but i'm never home. hoping that one of my neighbors will be home to just accept it. usually if someone opens the door for the UPS guy, he will leave everyone's package in the hallway since it's such a pain in the butt....

do any of you wrap your hair after the roller set? i wrapped it this last time 2 nights ago and when i took it down yesterday, some of my ends were a bit tangled. not badly or anything drastic but i feel like it should have been easier to take my hair down. wondering if that's a sign of my ends not being healthy, or not moisturized enough or maybe not drying my hair completely when i'm in rollers under the dryer.

i didn't really notice this when i put my hair in pin curls after my set last week.

just curious!

This happened to me this morning. I was very light on the product though; only used water and castor oil to saturate the hair. In retrospect I really do need to stick using the leave in that I always apply. I was going for the light bouncy with volume look, which I got, but the ends could have been a bit smoother. Apart from that the set was quite decent, will post some pics when I get home from work.

This happened to me this morning. I was very light on the product though; only used water and castor oil to saturate the hair. In retrospect I really do need to stick using the leave in that I always apply. I was going for the light bouncy with volume look, which I got, but the ends could have been a bit smoother. Apart from that the set was quite decent, will post some pics when I get home from work.

interesting.... the other thing i did differently with my set was use chi silk infusion. i put a small amount (quarter sized) through the entire length of my hair, after putting in my leave in and before i started setting. maybe i should dilute it? or maybe i don't need it.... what a novel idea! haha. :grin:

looking fwd to pics.

Living doll,
How did you like the Chi? I have tried to use it a couple of times and each time it seems like I lose more hair than normal.

i think i'm undecided on the product. it didn't really make my roller set better or worse. i don't think it played a factor is shedding for me, personally. i'll give it another try once i get my new dryer.

Living doll,
How did you like the Chi? I have tried to use it a couple of times and each time it seems like I lose more hair than normal.

1) How often will you be roller setting your hair? Every week to two weeks
2) What technique will you be using to set? Either mohawk or spiral curls.

3) What type/size rollers will you be using? Pink snap on magnetic rollers
4) What products will you be using for your set? Biosilk Silk Therapy, Paul Mitchell "The Conditioner" leave-in, Influance setting lotion, Influance styling foam, Dudley's Fantastic Body setting lotion.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? Babybliss Tourline Dryer (if my cousin does my hair) or Hot N Gold Bonnet Dryer (if doing my own hair).
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Silk caps at night, pony tails at the gym

Attachments

• April 24 2009 Wet Hair.jpg
    April 24 2009 Wet Hair.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 28
Pics of roller set. Never mind my crispy looking new growth! :lol:

My hair looks a different colour in each of those pics!!! :ohwell:

Added a couple more. I need some serious help with wrapping! :lachen:

Attachments

• 27042009978.jpg
    27042009978.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 44
  • 27042009994.jpg
    27042009994.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 27042009993.jpg
    27042009993.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 270420091032.jpg
    270420091032.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 20
  • 270420091036.jpg
    270420091036.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
nice job!

hey, blue black could be your color. hehe. :grin:

and at least you can see your NG! 5 weeks post relaxer, where the heck is mine?!!

Pics of roller set. Never mind my crispy looking new growth! :lol:

My hair looks a different colour in each of those pics!!!

nice job!

hey, blue black could be your color. hehe. :grin:

and at least you can see your NG! 5 weeks post relaxer, where the heck is mine?!!

My hair is weird - it changes colour when standing at different angles! I've got natural brown streaks too! :drunk:

Thanks. It's mainly flash though, but I still did get quite a lot of shine in the natural light. Federic Fekkai Glossing Creme actually works! :)

CreamTree, how do you wrap your hair now? i saw a tutorial some place and i should post it...

That would be good if you can find it, no worries if you can't though. :) I'll have to start watching more vids on you tube.

As for my attempted wrap, I just do a traditional wrap around the head using a brush to smooth. I suppose I should have done a saran wrap and sat under the dryer for a few minutes to get it more smooth, but I didn't bother. I just put my scarf back on for about 15 minutes - maybe that was the problem! :perplexed

I sent you a P.M. LivingDoll.

A) Post a Starting Picture by May 1st.

This is my starting picture. My goal is to grow out these layers in the front to chin and shoulder length. I want to reach WL this year.
relaxed3-vi.jpg

B) Post your regimen using the following questionnaire:
1) How often will you be roller setting your hair?I will be rollersetting once a week.
2) What technique will you be using to set? Ponytail? Anchor Method? Etc? I only do ponytail method.
3) What type/size rollers will you be using? I will be using rollers ranging between 3/4 to 3 inch depending on whether I want curly are straight hair. I also will be using flexi rods.
4) What products will you be using for your set? I use 3 parts water to 1 part ORS setting lotion.
5) How will you dry your hair and if you are using a dryer, what is the type and brand? I will mainly airdry, but I will also use my conair roll around stand dryer.
6) What styles will you try in order to protect your ends? Buns and ponytails.

Back