The Rattail Comb

Angelicus

Do you have to use a rattail comb to smooth out new growth during the relaxing process? In addition, do you have to use a rattail comb to comb through the new growth in the first place?

My last relaxer was a disaster, if you guys didn't know already. My stylist hurt me so bad that I was cursing. I never knew those kinds of words could come out of my mouth. Since I am looking for a new stylist, I wanted to know if the stylist can just smooth with fingers or a bigger comb. Please help, I have not been in that much pain for decades (and I am only 21).

pink_flower

Whoa I have never used a rat tail comb for anything. For a relaxer I use the back of a big comb to smooth.

That sounds painful..sowwry..

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I've never used a rattail comb for a relaxer. I've only used it for smoothing my hair but not for a relaxer. I also used it for wrapping my hair and sometimes combing my hair to make it look more compact together but I would comb very slowly.

Angelicus

i dont even own one of those things. why did that jealous dog do this to me?

cutebajangirl

Well I use the next step up from a rat tail comb to ensure even distribution of the relaxer. I think the tiny rat tail combs aren't good for anything except pulling your hair out. I think a lot of salons use them because they are cheaper that the one that is the next size up which would still give you all the plusses that Poohbear mentioned. Was your hair over or underprocessed from that relaxer?

Angelicus

yes
she couldnt leave it on because I burned so bad. i cursed about that too. I made compound curse words.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Allandra said:
No one doesn't have too.

Heck, I wouldn't let anyone use one on my hair during a relaxer touch-up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree!

UmSumayyah

When I got my hair done at JCPs the stylist only used glove fingers for smoothing, and my hair came out very straight.

Sha76

i use a rattail only for roller sets to make sure the hair is parallel on the roller. ANd just the tail to part for parts

kitchen_tician

Anky, girl you are having a tough time here lately. I'm going to have to put you in my prayer box.

yes, I always use a rattail comb for perms and for roller setting, but I never use the really small ones. I use the thicker ones and I only use the tail part, not the comb. BTW what kind of perm did she use on your hair.

Angelicus

she usually uses Variations Regular w/Aloe on my hair but the time that it burned badly, she used Variations Mild. After a rip-through experience with the rattail comb, I gave my hair some tlc with some vinegar rinses and neosporin (yes it has sulfur in it). The Canis Major had the nerve to say in disgust, "Ank, this is just too much new growth. What are you doing?" Can i infer from this statement that stylists don't want your hair to grow?

There are many young girls in new orleans that walk around with rattail combs and combing their hair in public with them (a pet peeve of mine). The mantra is: "If I can comb through my hair with a rattail comb, I got good hair."
Well public schools here don't allow girls to bring these combs to school because they double as weapons

Ipanema

[ QUOTE ]
anky said:
Well public schools here don't allow girls to bring these combs to school because they double as weapons

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've never thought of or heard of a rattail comb being used as a weapon.
I might start carrying one in my purse.

kitchen_tician

Actually, now that I think about it.
The clubs here in Atlanta check your purses for weapons and if you have a rattail comb or any combs with sharp points, they will make you leave it at the door. One time I went to "Visons" nightclub and I saw a large box full of those orange pointy combs.

simplyhair

[ QUOTE ]
Sha76 said:
i use a rattail only for roller sets to make sure the hair is parallel on the roller. ANd just the tail to part for parts

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a bone rattail for the same purpose.

Poohbear

[ QUOTE ]
Sha76 said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too!

bellydancer

[ QUOTE ]
cutebajangirl said:
I think the tiny rat tail combs aren't good for anything except pulling your hair out.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree. The rattail part is nice for parting though. they might as well have just sold a stick then!

candibaby

i use rattails, but only RIGHT after i get a relaxer to smooth my hair. but like right now, if i use one of those things with this new growth?? my hair is GONE!