the frizzy wet braidout problem & humidity

Dposh167

I do braidouts on wet hair......never really on dry hair. I make sure my hair is at the correct dryness before i take them out. But as soon as i step out my house. They frizz something terrible. Im transitioning from bone straight relaxed to texlaxed so when my haie frizzes it looks like really bad underprocessed hair.

When u do a wet braid out are u putting hair lotion..serum..or oil on it when wet or after it dries. What other tricks are u doing that makes it come out better.

*i take advice from both naturals and relaxed

I use a variety of products, but my staples are a cream leave-in and a glaze or gel to provide some semblance of hold. I find that oil makes my braidouts take forever to dry, so I usually apply it after it dries. I see you are in NYC. I got nothin' for this humidity, so I'm bunning right now. GL!

Cheroke may i ask the name of the poducts off the top of ur head? Do u apply it on wet hair or do u add it it later when it dries

I would also like to know, 2 seconds in the miami heat and all forms of curls waves are gone

I seal my wet hair with a Pomade/Grease and then braid. I have no frizz.
I do not use gel on my hair.

Natural checking in here. I use a creamy leave-in then gel on wet hair and then twist it. I sit under the hooded dryer to make sure there's not a trace of moisture left. If I skip the gel problems will ensue...

That usually happens to me if I use a glycerin heavy styler. To prevent this I use either a pomade or a curly pudding to do my twists. BTW I'm natural

I was going to post this same question. My first twist out got so frizzy yesterday!! I am going to try different products to see what works in this humid weather. It felt like 100 degrees yesterday in NYC. My hair was cute when I left the house around 10:30 a.m. but it was very frizzy by around 4:30 p.m. when I got back home. I was outside off and on for about 1 hour.

Morning hair
IMG_48792-vi.jpg

IMG_48812-vi.jpg

Late afternoon hair
IMG_48842-vi.jpg

IMG_4886-vi.jpg

IMG_4887-vi.jpg

Another attempt, using lottabody setting lotion on dry hair.
IMG_48882-vi.jpg

IMG_48932-vi.jpg

IMG_48942-vi.jpg

Last edited:
My better twist outs were the result of Suave coconut cond. and shea butter. A lot of both on freshly washed wet hair. The resulting twist out was moist and heavy.

It's possible, but you almost can't use too much. Experiment and double the amount of product you usually use.

I would say to combat that kind of heat, humidity and frizz, you need conditioner left in your hair (to protect it from the elements) and then on top of that a curl creme, or twist creme, gel would be the the last resort because you don't want your set to be dry. Twist or braid it up, remove it when your set is 100% dry and separate it with a serum. Don't separate it too much; too much manipulation promotes frizz.

Wash, condition hair. Rinse. Apply more conditioner (or a different kind)
distribute evenly through hair.

A good setting creme with hold and shine is GVP: The Cream. It is inexpensive and sold at Sally's. Apply and distribute through your wet hair. Proceed with your twists or braids. Let dry.

Separate your twists or braid out with a serum. A serum that I really like is by ULTA, sold at ULTA.

P.S. If you are opposed to conditioner left in your hair then you need a super
rich leave-in.

I tried it again and got better results. I used Shea Moisture Shea Butter leave-in on damp hair and when I unraveled the twists I used Headgames Spilt Personality serum. My hair came out much better. I plan to try this again later in the week on clean hair.

IMG_48962-vi.jpg

IMG_48972-vi.jpg

IMG_48952-vi.jpg

IMG_48992-vi.jpg

Ditto Bublin's post. I only style with pomades in the summer to avoid frizz. I also:

1. Use smoothing products before applying the pomade. I either blowdry with Redken's Smooth Down Detangling Cream Leave-In, or I spray my hair with a mixture of water, Elasta QP Feels Like Silk Design Foam and Redken's Smooth Down Heat Glide or Paul Mitchell's Super Skinny Serum.

2. The day before I take down my twists (you can also do it on the day of), I lightly coat my hair with serum. This summer, I've been using John Frieda's Frizz Ease serum.

kellistarr & naturalmanenyc

when u say separate the braids with serum...can u explain further. You mean put serum on the whole braid before u separate? or after its separated?

also kellstarr, how are u leaving conditioner in your hair? can u explain that. meaning u put in on ur hair and don't rinse at all. Or are u using the conditioner as a leave in

kellistarr & naturalmanenyc

when u say separate the braids with serum...can u explain further. You mean put serum on the whole braid before u separate? or after its separated?

also kellstarr, how are u leaving conditioner in your hair? can u explain that. meaning u put in on ur hair and don't rinse at all. Or are u using the conditioner as a leave in

poochie167 When I'm separating out my braid-out (or twist-out) I apply serum to my hands and then rub my braid or twist before I unravel it. I then separate it, carefully.

Yes, once I've washed my hair, conditioned it and rinsed out the conditioner, then I apply more conditioner (usually a different type) to my hair (not scalp) all over and I DON'T rinse it out!!! I clip it up, usually in two and put my shower cap back on, finish my shower and get out. I then go through my hair one last time with my denman brush (or a brush with like bristles) and I let it air dry. All conditioner will have absorbed into my hair. My hair is always very moisturized and well defined with this process.

If I want my hair to be super defined or need my set to hold up for an entire week and still look awesome, I add some curl creme or leave-in on top of the conditioner (that I always leave in my hair). I proceed to let it air-dry and once it is completely dry, I take some serum into my palms, rub it together and then scrunch it into my set. This results in ultra defined, super shiny curls.

If I want to braid or twist my hair up, I'll do the above, wait an hour or so and twist or braid and let it dry completely. I air-dry, but you don't have to.
Wait until set is 100% dry and separate with serum. In this case, I always use the leave-in on top of the conditioner. I hope this helps.

P.S. on your new photos, I do see a difference in your hair. Less frizz, more definition.

I have found the following products to work wonders on my braidouts:
1. Carol daughter's healthy hair butter 2. Carol's daughter's hair balm 3. B&b Castor oil moisturizer.
I have 4a/b relaxed hair and after I wash it I let it dry about 50% of the way. Then I apply carol's daughter hair butter and the hair balm on my hair and make about 5 braids. I let it finish drying overnight. When I get up, I just simply separate my braids and just go. I do not even have to apply anything else on it as dries beautifully and looks moisturized. See my attached pic and my youtube video for the results.

http://youtu.be/l-fKsdW6nz8

Attachments

• 110716-163327.jpg
    110716-163327.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    415.5 KB · Views: 44
Back