The end of the CONE debate

homegirljiggy

SO I was doing research, because I love the way my hair feels when i use Sunsilk Hydra TLC, and serums for straightening (CHI, and Fantasia), I mean nothing lets my airdried hair feel the way the sunsilk and fantasia IC makes it feel... But I was worried about build up, so I found some good news for you cone loving ladies:lick:
http://www.naturallycurly.com/ingredients/the-real-scoop-on-silicones

"
There are several main categories for silicones approved for use in hair care products.1. Dimethicones2. Low molecular weight cyclic silicones (cyclomethicones)3. Dimethiconols4. Dimethicone copolyols5. Phenyl trimethicones6. Amine-functional silicones (Amodimethicones)

CyclomethiconesThese are low molecular weight silicones that are ring-shaped. They have been found to provide very light conditioning effects as well as to speed drying time after a wash. These molecules are volatile and will thus evaporate from the surface of the hair, leaving behind no residue. This volatility may perhaps make delicate, curly hair feel drier, but that is just my own speculation.

DimethiconesThese have been the most commonly used silicones in conditioning products until recent years. They spread easily onto the hair, provide gloss and substantivity (lasting conditioning effects), and provide a soft, silky feel to the hair. They also reduce static and fly-away hair. All of these effects are influenced by the molecular weight of the molecule, which is not usually disclosed on the product package. Due to their extremely hydrophobic nature (lack of water solubility), these products may build up on the hair over time if a traditional surfactant-containing shampoo is not used.
DimethiconolsThese silicones are either dimethicones or cyclomethicones combined with very high molecular weight dimethicones that possess a hydroxy-functionality (an alcohol group) at the end of the molecule. These molecules provide significant conditioning effects to the hair and also build the viscosity (thickness) of the product. These are not water soluble.

Phenyl TrimethiconesThese are also not water soluble and are used for medium conditioning effects as well as a very high gloss and shine.

Dimethicone Copolyols or PEG-modified dimethiconesThese are the only silicones that are water-dispersible or water soluble. They are made by chemically adding groups to the silicone molecule that are water soluble. This unique structure enables these silicones to not only provide excellent conditioning benefits, but also to act as nonionic surfactants. They can provide foam boosting and facilitate good wetting of the hair in a shampoo. They provide lubrication, reduce tackiness (sticky-feel), can go into clear formulations due to their water solubility, and do not show as much tendency to stick to the hair. Since they don’t have as much substantivity (the ability to stick to a surface), they are primarily used only for light conditioning.

AmodimethiconesThese silicone molecules are modified by adding amine-functional groups to the structure. This makes them more polar and highly attracted to the negatively charged surface of the hair. Thus amodimethicones are noted for their high rate of deposition onto the surface of the hair, their extreme substantivity, and for great reductions in combing friction in both wet and dry hair. These silicones are considered to be the most useful for extremely dry or damaged hair due to their strong conditioning effects. These silicones are also not water soluble, so due to their high level of substantivity there may be some build-up if hair is not regularly shampooed. However, a preliminary study of this by Dow Corning showed only slight build-up after 3 uses (see reference 2).

Removal of build-upX-ray refraction studies performed at Dow Corning have shown that silicone molecules are almost 100% removed from the surface of the hair when a shampoo containing sodium lauryl sulfate, sodium lauryl ether sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl ether sulfate, or cocamidopropyl betaine was used (see reference #2). This is excellent news for those who enjoy the benefits of silicone additives in the products they use and who do not mind using a shampoo on an occasional basis. However, if one plans to use the method of conditioner-washing one’s hair, these water insoluble and organic insoluble materials seem to be something that should possibly be avoided, with the exception of the dimethicone copolyols or PEG-modified variety. Bottom lineStudies show that silicones actually minimize scalp irritation caused by the surfactants used in many hair care products. Fifty years of studies and data demonstrate that these are one of the safest materials we use in personal care products. There is no (current) scientific evidence that silicones are drying or otherwise cause dull hair, although some curlies report anecdotal evidence of such. Not properly washing silicones out of hair may result in them coating the hair, preventing hydration. Some curlies obtain the best results when they use silicone-containing products in cycles: they use them for a while, then lay off for a while, then come back to them. Finally, if you are a no-poo’er and like the results you get with silicones, you may obtain best results if you use products only containing the Dimethicone Copolyols or PEG-modified dimethicones."

I love cones. They do well for my hair, keeping it moisturized and conditioned. However, it's good to clarify once or twice a month.

Thanks so much for sharing! :kiss:

I did not realize there was a debate really (we all like cones right :look:), but I cannot airdry my hair without Fantasia IC Straightening serum. It just does not work.

But that is really the only time I use cones so I know I don't have to worry about buildup. Besides that is what shampooing is for.

I prefer my product harmony without the use of lots of layered cones. Everything just seems to work better without layers and layers of cones for me - less stickiness, less heaviness, more leave-in/moisturizer absorption, etc.

But I think it is all in preference.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting! I am a conehead also and with all the cone bashing around here I was getting worried..........Off to buy more cones......

Thanks for posting! I am a conehead also and with all the cone bashing around here I was getting worried..........Off to buy more cones......

Okay am I missing it. Where is the cone bashing? I know many do low-cone reggies (like myself) but total no cone? As much as we yell "heat protectant!"?

Okay am I missing it. Where is the cone bashing? I know many do low-cone reggies (like myself) but total no cone? As much as we yell "heat protectant!"?

I was seeing some avi's with no cones at all underneath. Also, I did a search on cones and found some threads where people were saying cones look good for a day then they dry your hair out, they hate cones, some cones are not soluble in water( most of which I use) and some cones build up on your hair and block moisture.

There were some good responses about cones, but the bad just stood out to me.

I was seeing some avi's with no cones at all underneath. Also, I did a search on cones and found some threads where people were saying cones look good for a day then they dry your hair out, they hate cones, some cones are not soluble in water( most of which I use) and some cones build up on your hair and block moisture.

There were some good responses about cones, but the bad just stood out to me.

True. I have seen those now that you mention it.

I think some people overdo them and have a hard time. It has taken me a long time to realize I was on cone overload (it was bad). I mean, I was hiding behind the cone shine and not concentrating enough on moisture. Became a recipe for disaster. My hair was not moisturized AT ALL. But I CANNOT airdry my hair without my cone based serum. (tried it :look:)

Thanks for the information in this thread. I will save this link in my faves for future reference. Thanks again.

Back