tHE 2011 "4A pLATooN"....... 4A soLDieRs-oF-hAiR, wHeRe Ya'LL at?

tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT

tHE 2011 "4A pLATooN"....... wHeRe Ya'LL at?

anyone WITH MOSTLY 4A HAIR !!! .......

what's your.....
Regimen
Issues
******Products that work******
products that don't
questions
struggles
needs​

LET'S WORK THIS OUT!:yep:

SQUAD UP!! :lachen::lachen::lachen:
4A - (mostly) THICK -- show us a texture or strand shot
&
4A - (mostly) THIN strand show us a texture or strand shot

I swear our struggles are different

Last edited:
4a checking in! my hair is very coily, fine, but dense.

Regimen's cowash daily, wash/dc once a week and moisturize daily
Issues no issues really, just need more length to get a ponytail. hair is too coily to want to lay down for that!

Products that work thick, water-based products,

products that don't oil-based products, they tend to just sit on top of my hair

questions i have been wearing pony puff lately does that count as a protective style?

struggles to not do anything stupid that could effect my progress, and not getting bored with my hair

needs to start taking vitamins for overall health, make sure i keep my crown moisturized

Last edited:
I absolutely love Bride's 4B soldiers.... in fact I have a mixture and it seems that I have more success w/ following the product likes of most 4B's than any other textures

but I'm mostly 4A tightly coiled.... and hair that "constantly" coils on itself is :blush::blush::blush::blush: my fight

SO 4A..... where ya'wse at?

I would like to form a gang:look:...., I mean a squad:grin: THAT WILL HELP THOSE WITH MOSTLY 4A HAIR !!!

i would like to participate but the hair type thing, really confuse me:perplexed, every time i look at the different hair type thing and pictures, i get more confused and give up on typing ( we don't type hair in UK).
here are my pics (sorry don't have a dripping wet one) maybe you can help!

pic 1 airdried hair (no product) prior to blow dry
pic2 blow dried hair (except from edges)
pic 3 airdrying hair (no product and still damp)
pic 4 blow dried hair and attempt to do a tiny bun!:grin:

Attachments

• IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 226
  • DSC01443.jpg
    DSC01443.jpg
    501.6 KB · Views: 209
  • DSC01411.jpg
    DSC01411.jpg
    496.2 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC01440.jpg
    DSC01440.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 187
I'm a 4a. I never really had a doubt about my hair type even when I was transitioning. I just didn't realize how tightly coiled it would be. My shrinkage is out of this world. In that other hair typing system, LOIS, it asks if you have "s" or "o". My hair is about 85% "o".

I use natural products. About 95% of my products are FUBU, For Us By Us. My hair loves shea butter, anything coconut, and anything aloe vera. I'm a daily cowasher. I alternate between moisture and protein. I wash with shampoo once a week and dc 2x/wk. Once overnight and one with steam.I moisturize 2x a day. Once on dripping wet hair with a spray moisturizer, then a lotion type moisturizer, then seal with an oil or serum. Then later once my hair is completely dry with some type of pomade, cream, or butter.

I think I am mostly 4a. I know when I find my hair in the shower it's in a perfect circle.

Just checking in to show my support :yep: :luv2: One of my DDs is 100% 4a, so I'll be lurking from the sidelines :hide:

Grow, Grow, Grow ladies!!

I think I am mostly 4a. I know when I find my hair in the shower it's in a perfect circle.

Exactly :yep:. I was pulling hair out of my tangle teezer and it was a bunch of "o" or circles. I was thinking I ain't got time to sit up here and pull all of these apart to see if it is shed hair.

I'm mostly 4a with very thick strands and very dense hair. The front of my hair is the exact opposite :ohwell:

Regimen's I cowash several times a week. DC once a week with whatever I have on hand and baggy when I remember. I shampoo wash 1x a month (or more if needed)

Issues Now that my hair's getting longer, I'm starting to see SSK's but I'm not freaking out about them yet because I've decided not to trim until 6 months post. My hair's also really really thirsty so I find myself having to moisturize daily and a lot of the time 2x daily.

Products that work I use that kids shea butter detangling leave in (can't remember the name) and it's amazing. My hair also loves giovanni direct, any oils, and elasta QP mango butter. Oh and gel! My hair loves it some green ecostyler :drunk: When I was using it frequently and cowashing daily my hair was in hog heaven.

products that don't My hair laughed at NTM. The leave in was a complete joke and I had to mix the masque with 50 different things for my hair to be moisturized in the end

questions hmm gotta come back on that one

struggles Besides the moisture thing, styling. My hair's in the in between phase, but that has nothing to do with the type

needs
moisture moisture and more moisture. My hair drinks it up :guiness:

:wave: I think I'm 4a, but I'm just a transitioner :( I've had a sew-in for 2 months now. I moisturize and seal every other day, and wash and DC every other week. I think I'll take it out at the end of the month because I miss my hair like CARAZAYY!!! :lol: I miss touching it and stuff! I'm hoping to BC in April or May (it'll be a year in May)...hopefully I can wait that long. I'm so excited to welcome my natural head of hair! :D

Thin density (amount of hair on head) and medium size strands.

I am a 4A - (mostly >95%) THICK

Regimen's :
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/bl...7362-my-current-hair-care-regimen-part-1.html
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/bl...1526-my-current-hair-care-regimen-part-2.html

Issues:
Single strand knots but I ignore and not worry about them
They are a characteristic of my type of hair so why get stressed out about something my hair naturally does.

Products that work:

• Apple Cider Vinegar (for final rinse)
  • Baking Soda (for clarifying)
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Virgin Coconut Oil
  • Wheat Germ Oil
  • Lekair or Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Moisturizing Conditioner, Strawberry and Cream (co-washing)
  • Queen Helene mixed with extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil (moisturizing deep conditioner)
  • Ultra Sheen Duo Tex(hard protein)
  • Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango (leave-in when mixed with extra virgin olive oil and wheat germ oil)
  • Tangle Teezer
  • K-Cutter
  • Water, water, water!!!!!
products that don't

• shea butter
  • any butter
  • S-curl
  • Curls products
  • Giovanni
questions
currently none

struggles
currently none

needs
currently none

LET'S WORK THIS OUT!:yep:

SQUAD UP!! :lachen::lachen::lachen: (just kidding ya'll)

Last edited:
Though my nape and crown are questionably 3C?, the remaining 85% of my head is 4a with a mixture of fine and thin strands with an overall thick density.

Regimen: Shampoo with a lathering sulfate free poo and DC. Detangle with fingers only. Apply a creamy leave-in (KCKT) and dab of gel (KCCC) and seal with unrefined shea butter or pure argan oil. Repeat every 7 days or so. In between wash days, refresh curls with water only (no additional product) and apply more shea butter or argan oil as needed. Put hair into 4 loose twists and wrap with satin scarf for bed.

Issues: If I'm not careful with my detangling and how I protect my hair at night, then SSKs come into play.

Products that work: KCKT and KCCC (my staples!) Shea butter, castor oil, olive oil, pure 100% argan oil, henna/indigo

products that don't: Coconut oil as a sealer (makes my hair crunchy), glycerin (makes my hair SUPER dry and crunchy), commerical hair color (breaks my hair off), relaxers (breaks my hair off), Co-washing (I get the itchies on my scalp and white heads around my hair line if I don't use a poo)

questions: I don't know if this is really a question, but I question the notion that 4a hair has to be kept in protective styles most of the time in order to retain length. I question this because I wear my hair out every day (but I'm very very low manipulation, I don't even use a comb) and my hair flourishes. When I was bunning and pony tailing it for extended periods, my edges started to thin...

struggles: I live and die by low manipulation, but I do like to switch it up every so often and I am style challenged.

needs: A chemical and heat free way to get my hair bone straight and when I wash the straightness out my hair reverts back 100% (pipe dream, right?)

Last edited:
Though my nape and crown are questionably 3C?, the remaining 85% of my head is 4a with a mixture of fine and thin strands with an overall thick density.

Regimen: Shampoo with a lathering sulfate free poo and DC. Detangle with fingers only. Apply a creamy leave-in (KCKT) and dab of gel (KCCC) and seal with unrefined shea butter or pure argan oil. Repeat every 7 days or so. In between wash days, refresh curls with water only (no additional product) and apply more shea butter or argan oil as needed. Put hair into 4 loose twists and wrap with satin scarf for bed.

Issues: If I'm not careful with my detangling and how I protect my hair at night, then SSKs come into play.

Products that work:
KCKT and KCCC (my staples!) Shea butter, castor oil, olive oil, pure 100% argan oil, henna/indigo

products that don't: Coconut oil as a sealer (makes my hair crunchy), glycerin (makes my hair SUPER dry and crunchy), commerical hair color (breaks my hair off), relaxers (breaks my hair off), Co-washing (I get the itchies on my scalp and white heads around my hair line if I don't use a poo)

questions: I don't know if this is really a question, but I question the notion that 4a hair has to be kept in protective styles most of the time in order to retain length. I question this because I wear my hair out every day (but I'm very very low manipulation, I don't even use a comb) and my hair flourishes. When I was bunning and pony tailing it for extended periods, my edges started to thin...

struggles:
I live and die by low manipulation, but I do like to switch it up every so often and I am style challenged.

needs: A chemical and heat free way to get my hair bone straight and when I wash the straightness out my hair reverts back 100% (pipe dream, right?)

see....I'll fight anyone over those in pink:yep::yep::yep::yep:

we definitely see eye-to eye

... I think 4a hair may tangle or curl upon itself more readily than other curl patterns (but it may simply depend on the diameter of the curl), but I don't see a correlation with protective style needs greater than others EXCEPT THOSE OF US with very thin strands... much easier to break when manipulating

i don't have ANY defined curls....(my texture shots had a lot of texlaxed ends)

I am a 4A - (mostly >95%) THICK

Regimen's :
Issues:
Single strand knots but I ignore and not worry about them
They are a characteristic of my type of hair so why get stressed out about something my hair naturally does.

Products that work:

• Apple Cider Vinegar (for final rinse)<-- scalp soother/clarifying
  • Baking Soda (for clarifying):nono::nono: not me
  • Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Virgin Coconut Oil<-- working on this, hair hardens:sad:
  • Wheat Germ Oil<<-- live by this
  • Lekair or Alberto VO5 Moisture Milks Moisturizing Conditioner, Strawberry and Cream (co-washing)
  • Queen Helene mixed with extra virgin olive oil and virgin coconut oil (moisturizing deep conditioner)
  • Ultra Sheen Duo Tex(hard protein)
  • Lustrasilk Shea Butter Mango (leave-in when mixed with extra virgin olive oil and wheat germ oil) <<<-- gotta try this a a K-Tube leave in
  • Tangle Teezer
  • K-Cutter
  • Water, water, water!!!!!
products that don't

• shea butter
  • any butter
  • S-curl
  • Curls products
  • Giovanni

i haven't tried giovanni, I sell shea so i'm still working on that concoction for 4a-thin mane, s-curl ONLY works for me to soften the crunchy arse oyin honey hemp as a leave in

I'm mostly 4a with very thick strands and very dense hair. The front of my hair is the exact opposite :ohwell:

needs
moisture moisture and more moisture. My hair drinks it up :guiness:

i know a steamer & a pH system kicks arse on dry hair.... i shoulda checked that iiiish at the door!!!1:grin::grin::grin::yep:

pic 1 airdried hair (no product) prior to blow dry
pic2 blow dried hair (except from edges)
pic 3 airdrying hair (no product and still damp)
pic 4 blow dried hair and attempt to do a tiny bun!:grin:

i think you would have to wash or cowash even..... and add ABSOLUTELY NO PRODUCT to tell your true texture

*****try not to manipulate it at all***** before taking pics, no combing, brushing, pulling it back, no adding gels, conditioners, oils, NADA!:drunk:

then it may be much easier to tell

i'm going to bump this for the henna, even though i don't need anything to thicken my hair up!
i am going to buy some KCC and some more KT and try it out tomorrow for work. i just washed and conditioned my hair and put it in twist, so i am walking around looking like Cellie.

i am really digging the condition of my hair this time around. i finally found out what works for me.
i remember when i was relaxed, i realized that moisture, and low manipulation styles helped me retain a lot. i made it to APL. that was the longest my hair has ever been in my life. now i'm on a quest to get there and beyond naturally. everytime i get to SL stretched, i do something stupid and end up having to cut my hair off again. i am so not going to go down that route again, even if it means, not touching up my roots with color.

I believe I'm a 4a to the fullest.

Regimen I cowash everyother day when I'm wearing my hair loose. Currently I have my hair plaited and I'm rocking a wig. I DC once a week, henna monthly, Shampoo every 2 weeks. I mostly wear wash n go puffs but I'm taking a break from that due to issues.

Issues SSK's and split ends. I'm working on sealing my ends consistenly and giving the wash n go's a break.

Products that work Tresemme conditioner, KBB hair milk and, Ecostyler gel, Gel mixed with shea butter and olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, Aussie moist, IC Fantasia Serum heat protectant,Henna, Sulfur 8, Bronner Bros. super gro hair grease, Nature's blessing hair pomade, Lustrasilk cholesterol Kinky Curly and Knot Today.

Products that don't work raw shea butter, noodle head (what was I thinking with this one) :perplexed

Questions What is everyone doing to combat SSK's?

Struggles Styling which is why I'm under a wig right now. I'm Full SL and really trying to reach APL this year. _ could use some tips.
I have breakage and I'm not sure if its from heat or the SSK's.

Needs I need a really good deep conditioner. I've tried Shea moisture and Aubrey organics Honey-Suckle Rose but I need something more moisturizing.

Attachments

• IMG_7104.jpg
    IMG_7104.jpg
    511.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMG_7878.jpg
    IMG_7878.jpg
    524.4 KB · Views: 147
well my signature is a wash and go dry with no product. I was crazy enough to do that. My bang and crown is 3c but everything else is 4a I think. When I use product the 3c hangs more so camouflages everything. Hair typing still confuses me so I just may be a 3c in denial or something. If so I'll just wait for that ahem...mob to start up.

Anywho!

Regimen's
I still haven't found a decent one. But currently I'm cowashing a couple times a week and using a conefree conditioner and EVCO as my leave in.

I do a light protein treatment and DC ever two weeks and that's also when I detangle with a comb or TT everytime else it's fingers. At the end of the month I use henna as my protein treatment and start all over again. I'm wearing buns until my hair grows out because twists look awful on me now.

Issues
My hair to lay down properly, my part to clearly show, splits, knots, and my buns to not look puny, Also hair toys that make my hairstyle look more interesting because buns make me look blah.

Products that work
AVJ, EVCO, EVOO (even though I hate the smell), everything else is on trial basis

products that don't
VO5 conditioners. Black soap.Shea butter and that's after I made two big batches for my hair. Now I have to find another way to get rid of it...

questions
For those who cowash what do you use and what DC's work for you? For those who bun what's your regimen and what sort of buns do you do? Please don't say sock buns, I'm trying to use as little ponytail holders as possible...

struggles
Having my hair be predictable

needs
Hair toys. And hair products that work continuously

Last edited:
well my signature is a wash and go dry with no product. I was crazy enough to do that. My bang and crown is 3c but everything else is 4a I think. When I use product the 3c hangs more so camouflages everything. Hair typing still confuses me so I just may be a 3c in denial or something. If so I'll just wait for that ahem...mob to start up.

Anywho!

Regimen's
I still haven't found a decent one. But currently I'm cowashing a couple times a week and using a conefree conditioner and EVCO as my leave in.

I do a light protein treatment and DC ever two weeks and that's also when I detangle with a comb or TT everytime else it's fingers. At the end of the month I use henna as my protein treatment and start all over again. I'm wearing buns until my hair grows out because twists look awful on me now.

Issues
My hair to lay down properly, my part to clearly show, splits, knots, and my buns to not look puny, Also hair toys that make my hairstyle look more interesting because buns make me look blah.

Products that work
AVJ, EVCO, EVOO (even though I hate the smell), everything else is on trial basis

products that don't
VO5 conditioners. Black soap.Shea butter and that's after I made two big batches for my hair. Now I have to find another way to get rid of it...

questions
For those who cowash what do you use and what DC's work for you? For those who bun what's your regimen and what sort of buns do you do? Please don't say sock buns, I'm trying to use as little ponytail holders as possible...

struggles
Having my hair be predictable

needs
Hair toys. And hair products that work continuously

i use Yes To Cucumbers, Suave Naturals Coconut, TJ Nourish Spa, i use Lekair Cholesterol mixed with honey. i cowash daily and i haven't had an issue with SSK too much, i get one here and there from shed hair. i use a leave-in daily as well (Knot Today).

I believe I'm a 4a to the fullest.

Regimen I cowash everyother day when I'm wearing my hair loose. Currently I have my hair plaited and I'm rocking a wig. I DC once a week, henna monthly, Shampoo every 2 weeks. I mostly wear wash n go puffs but I'm taking a break from that due to issues.

Issues SSK's and split ends. I'm working on sealing my ends consistenly and giving the wash n go's a break.

Products that work Tresemme conditioner, KBB hair milk and, Ecostyler gel, Gel mixed with shea butter and olive oil, sunflower oil, coconut oil, Aussie moist, IC Fantasia Serum heat protectant,Henna, Sulfur 8, Bronner Bros. super gro hair grease, Nature's blessing hair pomade, Lustrasilk cholesterol Kinky Curly and Knot Today.

Products that don't work raw shea butter, noodle head (what was I thinking with this one) :perplexed

Questions What is everyone doing to combat SSK's?

Struggles Styling which is why I'm under a wig right now. I'm Full SL and really trying to reach APL this year. _ could use some tips.
I have breakage and I'm not sure if its from heat or the SSK's.

Needs I need a really good deep conditioner. I've tried Shea moisture and Aubrey organics Honey-Suckle Rose but I need something more moisturizing.

Regarding the underlined text, have you ever tried Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Conditioner? It's ultra-moisturizing for my hair. I love it.

I'm a 4a/4b natural. I'm mostly 4a, though, so I'll contribute.

Regimen: My routine changes based on what I do to my hair, but I pretty much do the same thing. With that said, the following is my most frequent routine:

-DC on dry hair with AOGPB

-Shampoo with Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo

-Do a steam treatment with AOWC and avocado oil (this may seem redundant considering the first step, but I do it again so that I won't have to detangle once I've finished with the wash process)

-Apply Roux Porosity Control and rinse with cool (not cold) water

Issues: Split ends and single-strand knots

Products that work:

-avocado oil
-most light oils
-AOWC
-AOGPB
-KBB Juicy Shampoo Bar
-Earthly Delight Herbal Shampoo
-V05 Kiwi Lime Squeeze Clarifying Shampoo
-Kenra Clarifying Shampoo
-Curl Prep Sweet Buttah
-Jane Carter Solution Hair Nourishing Cream
-Hairveda's Almond Glaze
-Roux Porosity Control
-Jane Carter Solution Nourish and Shine
-Growth Specifics Revitalizing Hair Balm
-Redken Smooth Down Detangling Leave-In Cream
-Aphogee 2-Minute Keratin Reconstructor

Products that don't work:

-most cheapy conditioners and stylers (I only use Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture Conditioner to detangle when I'm not using AOGPB)

-Coconut Oil
-Olive Oil
-Most Carol's Daughter products
-Miss Jessie's Curly Meringue

Questions: I can't think of any right now, but I'm sure that will change.

Struggles: I would say that being style-challanged is an issue, but it's really not. I don't know how to flat-twist, but I think twistouts look better on my hair when individual twists are done. Plus, I'm very plain in regards to style. Twists during the week and twistouts (or an occasional braidout) on the weekend is just fine with me.

Needs: Protein needs to be a constant throughout my routine. The moisture is important too, but years of avoiding protein have been taught me that protein is not optional for my hair.

Also, I need some good trimming shears. Conair isn't doing it anymore. I need the 5 1/2 inch Tweezerman. I absolutely have to pick it up the next time that I'm near Sephora or Ricky's.

I am mostly 4a with small-med sized o's in the front and small o's in the nape area.

Regimen:

Prepoo:
I prepoo for 30 min with Yes to Tomatoes, with EVOO and honey mixed in. I finger detangle my hair with the conditioner and put in 6-8 braids.

Wash:
I wash with Design Essentials Moisture Retention shampoo once per week. I wash hair in the braids from the prepoo.

Condition:
Condition with Design Essentials Stimulations Condish and Organics Hair Mayo. I unbraid hair, apply conditioner and then detangle with a wide-toothed comb. I rebraid in 6-8 braids.

Steam:
I steam using Stimulations and/or Hair Mayo condish once per week.

Porosity
I use Roux Porosity Control after my DC about twice per month and rinse out with cool water.

Leave-in:
I use the Kimmaytube Leave In substituting Giovanni Direct Leave in for KCKT. I also use Taliah Wajiid Mist Bodifier mixed with aloe vera juice as needed during the week. I may also steam midweek for 30 min. If I do, I use the KYT Leave In and put on a plastic cap.

Favorites:
Castor Oil, EVOO, Jojoba oil, aloe vera juice and gel

Stylers:
Ecostyler Clear, KCCC, Lottabody Olive Oil setting lotion, aloe vera gel

Struggles:
Looking for the most gentle solution for covering/coloring my grey stray hairs. It is really driving me crazy. I just purchased some Clairol Advanced Gray Solutions, but have yet to try it.

Finding cute, professional, yet jazzy hairstyles!

Learning how to french braid!

Things that don't work:
Anything with Shea Butter in it...Shea Moisture, Cantu, Shea Aloe mix. African Pride Braid Spray, Organic Root Stimulator products.

Last edited:
^^will take a pic when i get out of the shower! i would like to see the difference too!
i believe i have fine strands.

Back