Taren's catching heat on YT

I don't think there's anything wrong with Taren wanting to build up her brand and profit from it. To that end, this video may have possibly hurt some of that future brand potential.

Companies are very sensitive to their social media presence (knowing how quickly things can go viral or a company's image tarnished - thereby losing them money).

For example, I had a problem a few months back with UPS customer service giving me the run around on the phone after they made a shipping mistake. I tweeted @UPS expressing my frustration and got a response from a customer service rep less than 10 minutes later asking me to email them (at a dedicated twitter customer service e-mail). And I have almost no twitter followers (so very little influence). But UPS didn't want their brand image damaged on twitter so they sought to remedy my issue.

And I can think of many other examples, in the tech world for instance, of companies responding to issues much more graciously than they would have otherwise in order to protect their brand's online presence.

So, regardless of whether or not what she said was right or wrong, some companies (that she may not have known were even checking her out/vetting her channel) may back away from the table now (which would be a shame since I like Taren). But companies are sensitive about what people say about them and may be scared off, fearing they may become the subject of a future rant.

Edited to add:

I just wanted to add a couple of things to my original thoughts. I watched the video response posted in this thread and it made me think of some things.

I realized that when I expanded my thoughts about vloggers getting paid to do reviews out to other arenas, my opinions weren't consistent.

I have always shied away from reading the opinions of paid reviewers (whether it be for movies, books, etc.). And when a person notes having gotten something for free to review (ex. a book from the publisher), I automatically downgrade whatever rating they give a little, to account for the halo effect.

With that in mind, I can understand why people don't want the youtube reviewer community to go further down the road towards many reviews perhaps being little more than paid sponsorships. When money gets involved, things often change.

Last edited:
Touche'. It's one thing to review a product and send feedback to the company without posting a post or video. I guess once taren or anyone else post a glowing review for the product, they them become a spokesperson for the product without any compensation for it. That must be the frustrating part.

....Taren said that if she doesn't like a product then she simply won't do a review on it so I still trust her.
She's just putting it out there that vloggers she be more demanding and not just review everything they recieve even if they don't like it...

Well, isn't that the point of reviews? To let us know which products are good and which are BAD? I would hope that she would also review products she hated so that we would know which ones not to spend our money on.

Now that she has a following, she could easily move to her own website and gain a profit like someone stated.

I like Taren, btw. I watch her on occasion. She has some gorgeous hair.

Just wanted to add, celebrities don't get paid when they are given free products either. All the nominees get free Academy Award dresses, but they aren't also paid to wear them. Just getting a $15K couture dress is the reward.

I'm convince that certain designer handbag labels are giving out their handbags to certain reality stars. The reality girls get a free $$$ handbag, the company gets great exposure = more sales.

Now, maybe Taren should just request MORE product for her reviews. It's not like most of the free stuff she is getting is that expensive.

Someone posted a comment on youtube that said Celebrities don't get paid when they receive free dresses and jewels to wear to the Oscars or parties to give the designer exposure. Why should youtubers? <----my thoughts exactly
In that case i would take it (without payment), because jewels and coutour dresses offered to celebrities are usually worth THOUSANDS!...a free hair cream on the other hand.....:lol:

This girl kept it real. http://youtu.be/74ZXe7fdEz4

Taren's video came off as incredibility unprofessional and probably sabotaged her chances of getting future endorsements. This chick needs to take several seats and go somewhere.

hmm. I still agree with Taren but this woman brought up some good points also. I don't think Taren is arrogant I think she is just frustrated. And I don't think it matters that not everyone knows who Taren is because its a niche. Not everyone know what Seventeen Mag is either but that doesn't mean you dont advertise to those who do.

I think the biggest overarching theme that the response vid picked up is the corruption of youtube. 90% of people started on YT (including Taren) because its something they love to do. It was more of a hair/beauty vlog, have fun, and teach people techniques. Once money is involved all that goes out the window. I don't blame the YTers I blame companies. Now there is uproar about hair companies abusing YTers and even sending better hair to them then the customers so the review will be great. Its too much.

And I think Taren's thoughts would have been better as a written blog. That way its not long and you dont start saying too much.

[/B]

I'm unsure if this is true or if companies abide by it because, once upon a time I had a part time gig of writing reviews for a MAJOR company. I doubt if that company would have risked begining exposed by an employee and fined by the FTC.

There are many companies that do this. Anyone can write a review for a product on Amazon and other sites. Email addresses and usernames are free.

True but those people writing ads on amazon weren't sent free product and if they were they should mention it. I can't remember the exact section but bloggers post it all the time in their disclaimer, one day I'm gonna actually look it up lol

True but those people writing ads on amazon weren't sent free product and if they were they should mention it. I can't remember the exact section but bloggers post it all the time in their disclaimer, one day I'm gonna actually look it up lol

The company recieved a big fat check :yep: and the ad writers (us) got their hourly rate from the company.

I think someone upthread mentioned that a new law says you had to mention if your being compensated.

I have not seen the video. But I'm curious about who laid down the law of reviewers should not recieve compensation?

I think the only real product review for you will be by you. Whether you post it or not on YT doesnt matter.

A wig "Lisa" on YT wears is not going to look the same on me unless she is my identical twin.

Youtubers can help brands become bigger.

It is also true, though, that some brands can create youtubers :I found many youtubers and then subscribed by googling the name of a product, and big brands can also offer networking opportunities, visibility through giveaways and exclusive reviews of new products.

There is a sort of exchange.

I do understand that she can feel like not doing it anymore. But I would have said it differently: in a positive way. Meaning that she could have been creative and propositive about new forms of collaboration to offer brands instead, especially if she wants to stay in a specific market. Market works for people who have something to offer, complaints have a very brief life and they are counterproductive. She should have a sort of press kit with many different ideas of partnership that she considers fair. She should say "I did reviews, now my channel has evolved into this, let's do that, because of these reasons". She missed the opportunity of being innovative while doing what she felt like.

i.e.: She is about to start that charity. I would have prepared a kit for companies that asks for sponsorships for the charity in different ways (venues, mutual advertising, etc). All this could have been possible, while still being honest with the public.

I hope she finds a way to manage this, I appreciate her honesty and drive but sometimes how you say things makes a big difference in your results.

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with her wanting monetary compensation for her time and effort but that concern should've been left between her and the companies. After reading some topics on Guru Gossip, courtesy of the Tanesha thread, many people are against vloggers/video-makers being paid for their reviews regardless of race, especially Phan, Elle and Blair. If someone doesn't find her trustworthy once she's affiliated with some company, there are countless other non-compensated YTbers to watch.

Youtubers can help brands become bigger.

It is also true, though, that some brands can create youtubers :I found many youtubers and then subscribed by googling the name of a product, and big brands can also offer networking opportunities, visibility through giveaways and exclusive reviews of new products.

There is a sort of exchange.

I do understand that she can feel like not doing it anymore. But I would have said it differently: in a positive way. Meaning that she could have been creative and propositive about new forms of collaboration to offer brands instead, especially if she wants to stay in a specific market. Market works for people who have something to offer, complaints have a very brief life and they are counterproductive. She should have a sort of press kit with many different ideas of partnership that she considers fair. She should say "I did reviews, now my channel has evolved into this, let's do that, because of these reasons". She missed the opportunity of being innovative while doing what she felt like.

i.e.: She is about to start that charity. I would have prepared a kit for companies that asks for sponsorships for the charity in different ways (venues, mutual advertising, etc). All this could have been possible, while still being honest with the public.

I hope she finds a way to manage this, I appreciate her honesty and drive but sometimes how you say things makes a big difference in your results.

Asking companies for donations or sponsorshipss for your charity in exchange for a product review is basically the same as getting paid, isnt it?

She can submit grants to any company requesting a donation with or without having her YT channel. IMHO, she needs to keep her charity and her YT business seperate.

Again, I didnt see the video so i'm unsure if Taren was venting or giving advice.

I watched the video and I have to say that I completely agree with her. When you think about it vloggers do have a lot of power. I learned everything about how to take care of my hair from them, what products to use so it's obvious that they have power.
And before she did this video I thought it was a bit cheap for them to do sponsored videos but when you think about it, it makes sense. The women who do these videos are adults who have children to take care of, bills to pay, student loans to pay off and when companies make a s**t load of money off of the reviews they make it make sense that they should be compensated. And for me it really is that simple.

Asking companies for donations or sponsorshipss for your charity in exchange for a product review is basically the same as getting paid, isnt it?

She can submit grants to any company requesting a donation with or without having her YT channel. IMHO, she needs to keep her charity and her YT business seperate.

Again, I didnt see the video so i'm unsure if Taren was venting or giving advice.

Yes, receiving free products and visibility means getting paid too. In my opinion everyone should feel free to set their own price, what they want to give, what they want in exchange, and what they want to promote on their channel as long as they are honest with everyone and very clear. The whole "how" is something that every individual should come up with. Donations, sponsorships, partnerships, mutual advertising, or anything else. Or promoting new businesses for free. Or being free from business. As long as I know what I'm watching, I'm ok as a viewer.

Taren's video came off as incredibility unprofessional and probably sabotaged her chances of getting future endorsements. This chick needs to take several seats and go somewhere.

This video really opened my eyes!! Oh, and reading all the other comments.

Some really good points were made in this thread & I'm now actually leaning towards the other side. I watch a lot of Taren's videos and have always wanted to see her succeed because you can tell she has had a difficult life. Hence why some of us (people who watch/like her) understand her video.. more than the ones who aren't subscribed to her or don't really watch her. But if you take the e-motion out of it, and just analyze the things she has said, and the things she's proposing for all vloggers to do, her real objective is to turn youtube into a giant advertising platform.

I've never understood why people try to make YT their fulltime job lol.. I respect everybody's hustle but the more I think about what Taren is doing the more I think she's being a snake. I mean think about it for a sec. She completed a long review for a skin care company (she probs arranged commission, since she said she's been turning down companies). We already know she hardly does anything with her skin.. and even mentions her skincare routine is simple, but ACCEPTS to try products on her skin which requires hardly anything.. for money. But what results can she tell us about? How will her trying products on her skin which is already in good condition benefit her subscribers? Oh.. it's because it's not about the subscribers anymore, it's about her mooooney. So basically.. it's all about the money now and not the consumer. Right? People go on youtube to watch reviews that helped people. Why would I want to watch a skincare review on somebody who already has near-to perfect skin.

And yeah even though her little celeb argument was good, like someone else mentioned.. when a celeb is sponsored all you see is them rocking that product and they only say GOOD things about it. Who would pay you a lot (it sounds like she wants a lot more from these companies lol) if you will mix positive and negatives. That's not a good business model.

ETA: Sorry for my assumptions earlier @EbonyCPrincess - as you can see I've had a change of heart.

Last edited:
In that case i would take it (without payment), because jewels and coutour dresses offered to celebrities are usually worth THOUSANDS!...a free hair cream on the other hand.....:lol:

Yea but it's a dress that you could never wear again (as a celebrity) and it's considered tacky to sale it for your own monetary gain. Your only option is to give it to charity auctions like majority of the celebrities do. It's practically worthless.

MuseofTroy said:

And I also agree with what she wrote about this. Snipped from her description box for the video you posted:

LESSON IN CONTRACT LAW 101: Company makes an offer, "I promise to pay you $XXX if you endorse my product" and you accept this with the promise you will endorse the product, a contract is formed. Yes, you may stipulate that if you do not perform under the terms of the contract, you will not receive compensation, however, most companies will include in the contract that this is considered a breach of contract and you will be sued, including court costs and attorney's fees.

No reputable company would negotiate a contract according to your terms, in my opinion.

To each her own, I guess, but don't try to encourage others to be anything like you.

Whether it's 90,000, 9,000, or 900 subscribers - We aren't celebrities. Check yourself.

knt1229 said:
I would really like to know how much product these popular YT gurus really push? 50k subscribers sounds like alot in the world of youtube but on a national stage it's not much.

For instance, a youtuber has 50k subscribers. She/he reviews a product. Of the 50k subscribers not all of them will watch the vid. Some won't be interested in the product. Others will be on the fence about the product. Let's just say that 5% or 2500 of the subscribers go out and purchase the product. The product is priced at $5. This means the company will have sales of $12,500. If the company has national sales of let's say $500k for this one product that means the youtuber only added .025% or 2.5% to the company's sales. Is that really worth it to a company to pay a percentage of sales for this type of return?

For the record, I am leaving out the expenses/costs a company incurrs when producing and marketing a product which is deducted from sales to determine profit.

It's great these youtubers are making money and going into business, but, some of them need to look at things from a business perspective and actually put numbers on paper to see if it makes sense.

My scenario is just an example and I have no idea how much money the vloggers can add to a company's bottom line, but, instead of, making rant vids these chicks need to start researching and writing proposals to approach companies about setting up deals to get paid for reviews.

Of course, they can only get the company's interested if they can show/convince that they can significantly increase a company's bottom line.

Quoting for reemphasis.

A lot of time the celebrity doesn't keep the dress or jewels. These things are sent to them or their stylist because designers want them to wear the dress for free advertising and stars need amazing dresses for theses shows. They don't keep the 3.5 mil earrings. It's sent right back. Same as the dresses in most cases. Now I know clothing like jeans and stuff, handbags, and shoes are sometimes sent as "gifts". As a celebrity who has millions, I can afford to wear a free bag from Balenciaga and have all the regular women clamor to get them and see it sell out in stores. That also boosts my style cred. and gets me featured in the style magazines. VISIBILITY breeds relevance, which is imperative to a star.

A lot of time the celebrity doesn't keep the dress or jewels. These things are sent to them or their stylist because designers want them to wear the dress for free advertising and stars need amazing dresses for theses shows. They don't keep the 3.5 mil earrings. It's sent right back. Same as the dresses in most cases. Now I know clothing like jeans and stuff, handbags, and shoes are sometimes sent as "gifts". As a celebrity who has millions, I can afford to wear a free bag from Balenciaga and have all the regular women clamor to get them and see it sell out in stores. That also boosts my style cred. and gets me featured in the style magazines. VISIBILITY breeds relevance, which is imperative to a star.

Yeah with the starts the there a mutually beneficial relationship: stars need to look rich in expensive clothes and designers need stars to wear their clothes for their clothes to look rich lol

I think that is what she said with her relationship with Hair Rules. There is no price tag on it for her because its a relationship that breeds opportunities for both with one necessarily having to do a lot for the other.

I also wanted to add that I do agree with posters who sat this is not good business to make a vid like this. You want to maintain the perfect image of your channel. While some of this stuff needed to be said, its like talking about family business when company is at dinner. Like I said before a blog where she could organize her thoughts into some neat organized 5 paragraph essay would have been better.

I learned a long time ago that Taren is a delusional broad, which is why i'm not subscribed to her. :lol: I know that its easy to start getting the big head when you hit the 5-digit subscribers mark, or someone finally recognizes you on the street, but the reality is she is still a non-factor. Shame on her for doing that video. :nono: How unprofessional and immature.

After watching this video I completely change my opinion about this subject. This lady had a lot of good points. I think it is easy for yt and bloggers to get some big head and think they are a celebrity.

lol she had me dying when she said in real life people don't know who the hell we are, reality check! :lachen:

I only come on these boards to talk about this stuff because people in my real life don't know who the hell Taren or any of these people are.

Maybe Taren can be compensated by a smaller company or a mom and pop weave/wig company. But HUGE companies are not going to give her some endorsement deal.

I honestly take back what I said at Michelle Phan because that chick has over 1 million subs vs Taren barely at 90k. Big difference.

OK she is right... but look at this and I am talking from a business owner. If I pay you to be the face of my product? like it or not you have to say nice things about it. Now that is the way it works.
For those who want to be paid they should be but know you will have to only say positive things about the product that is what I am paying you for. So you get locked in. It no longer because freedom of speak as a vlogger.

So if I send you products in the mail randomly and you try it and you don't like it, you have the right to say hey guys this didn't work for me. I could not stand the smell or the feel or the product. so forth.

Well crap. She kept it funky. She just basically asked Taren to have several seats _/ _/ _/

She addressed the long term affects of what would happen if Taren's movement actually came to life. And I have to be quite honest and say that it's not a pretty picture for the integrity of YouTube reviews. :nono:

I still don't know that my opinion has changed, but it definitely helped me see the flip side of the coin. This is a very interesting topic.

WOW- first off I agree with AE points. This shows true maturity on her part. After that whole drama with them and Kimmaytube I thought AE was leaning more towards Taren.

But honestly Taren was unprofessional and did not help her image with this video.

The more people comment the more I am beginning to see that. Yes Taren may have had some valid points but she went about it the wrong way by posting a video about it.

This will hurt her in the long run.

Taren keeps making these rants about money and her single baby mama drama is really hurting her image. And in order to make a business out of this image is everything.

Shadiyah said:
OK she is right... but look at this and I am talking from a business owner. If I pay you to be the face of my product? like it or not you have to say nice things about it. Now that is the way it works.
For those who want to be paid they should be but know you will have to only say positive things about the product that is what I am paying you for. So you get locked in. It no longer because freedom of speak as a vlogger.

So if I send you products in the mail randomly and you try it and you don't like it, you have the right to say hey guys this didn't work for me. I could not stand the smell or the feel or the product. so forth.

And this is why YT reviews are helpful. Real people, real experiences, real opinions.

I feel some kind of way about refusing to give a negative review about a product that was sent, and choosing only to review products liked. An then feeling some sort of entitlement about the whole thing. And this entitlement thing is something I have witnessed with podcasters, too.

I have seen some start out actually slamming others for asking for PayPal donations to support their efforts, only to do the same thing themselves after podcasting twenty or so episodes. They take on this "I have a life, I am not getting paid to do this, my time is valuable" ish-- look, booboo, nobody told you to pick up the mic and start recording and uploading, so where is this mess coming from? I feel the same way about YTers. If monetization isn't enough then find another way, but don't mess up the vibe on YT. Now I will support efforts with PP donations, simply because I like the programming and realistically, it is a lot of work to produce quality shows. But as soon as a host starts to make me feel guilty for not donating, I will unsubscribe.

Does Taren accept PP donations on a blog? If she doesn't, she should. And if she has that many followers who were donating to support her content, then maybe there would have been no need to do a half-hour rant targeting product companies, which only served to make her look simple and basic, at best.

Back