Summer Growth Spurt...For YOU "Fact or Fiction?"

Yes, I get a Growth Spurt in the Summer because........

• I up my Moisturizing Deep Conditioners, I Co-Wash, I Spritz etc....

Votes: 27 28.7%
  • I Eat Better, Exercise More, Drink More Water, Concentrate more on Physical Activity

Votes: 15 16.0%
  • I Get My Growth Spurt in the Fall/Winter Months

Votes: 10 10.6%
  • I Don't Believe in a Summer (Fall/Winter) Growth Spurts

Votes: 20 21.3%
  • Other Opinion on the Summer Growth Spurt

Votes: 22 23.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Last spring & summer I did have a growth spurt. I attributed it to cowashing daily, wet bunning, and baggying. Well that's exactly what I'm doing now so hopefully I will get results again.

Never had one related to season. I do seem to get spurts after cutting/trimming but the hair scientists say there's no such thing.

I don't know HOW its true but it is. I cut my hair right before going to DR for four months ( see signature ) and when I got back and did a length check my hair had grown from CL to SL and my bangs grew out in a month and a half.

Sorry I don't have an after picture

I really just started paying attention this year but I think I'm getting my summer growth spurt on :yep:. I don't know if it's just natural for me to get one or if it's the fact that I'm paying better attention to my hair. Whatever it is, I'm not complaining! I just wish I knew how to get a "growth spurt" all year 'round. :look:

Last spring & summer I did have a growth spurt. I attributed it to cowashing daily, wet bunning, and baggying. Well that's exactly what I'm doing now so hopefully I will get results again.

Oops forgot I can't wet bun anymore :lachen:. Okay I wet bunned all the way up to my bc on 7/3. Now I'm doing wash & gos which consists of cowashing, leaving a bit in, and going :grin:.

Ive always experienced a summer growth spurt I just never knew what it was until I came here. This summer i'll have an extra kick.... I plan to experiment with boundless tresses and megatek.:yep:

Hmmm...My hair did grow a lot this last relaxer cycle. So much that I had to relax at almost 8 weeks when I usually wait at least 10-12. Maybe the summer did contribute. Never thought about it.

Summer growth spurt is fiction to me. I always get my growth spurt in the winter months. November-February are always good for my hair.

I think its jus because of the warmer weather.....it helps the blood flow better and i'm usually more active during the hot season....i try to hibernate during the really cold seasons.:yep:

I hadn't started really paying attention to my hair growth until early this spring, so I don't really know if there is a difference. Since I am currently getting about half an inch per month, I HOPE this isn't a growth spurt because I'd like to be able to get that same rate of growth in the winter as well!

I know that in the past I definitely retained more length in the summer than I do in the winter. This year I am hoping to keep a fairly consistent pattern of growth and retention throughout the seasons! :yep:

I think I have better growth in the summer simply because I'm off my job during the summer....
I have more time to take care of it

Well so far I can find her, she is lost summer growth spurt (her first middle and last name) hasn't happened for me. I got two inches cut and measured from there. But even before that It didn't seem to have grown from april to June. Oh well, I hope at the end I can measure up a big difference :(

I will let you know in September as I am measuring 22 inches at the moment :)

Yeah...my "growth spurt" came when I began caring for my hair differently. Wash and go's encourage me to keep my hair well moisturized and it's much lower manipulation...My growth spurt has been taking place since about April (when I started with the wash and go's)...

Ahhh....The "Coveted Summer Growth Spurt" Do you get it? If so, what are you doing to help it along?

I started this Thread because I want YOUR Opinion on the Summer Growth Spurt. I want mine.....Do You?

I am hoping my PS this summer and moisturizing, eating right, drinking more water and all that "Good Stuff" will help me right along

I'm not sure if I will get a growth spurt but I sure hope so. I am soooo loving my hair right now. I think I will:
  • move into more protective styling (meaning pinning my hair up in the back)
  • try to take all my vitamin supplements with consistency
  • drink at least 3 bottles of water a day
  • exercise at least 2-3 times per week
  • wash/co-wash my hair 1 additional time each week
Mo hair, mo hair, mo hair, mo hair!:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

I think some may get a summer spurt if the enviorment encourages hair growth:yep: Vitamins, physical activity, diet, etc. I think our bodies prepare us for upcoming seasons.

Summer spurts of hair may occur to keep us warm in the winter:yep:

Last edited:
My growth is a consistent .5"/month throughout the year. Occasionally, I get a little more growth in July & August.

I don't think growth really speeds up during summer months for many people, but because it is a better environment for retaining length, thickness, and overall health, growth may seem more abundant. Winter cold, frost, and icy weather can wreak havoc on the strands, causing them to be more dry and more fragile at the ends.

I've never noticed a summer spurt, but its always summer where I am. But come to think of it when I was living in the States, I didn't notice one then either. I do notice an improved growth rate however when I workout consistently,eat well and take my vits, particularly B-complex. I am trying to keep up with this now, espcially the vits I tend to forget those.

I get a summer growth spurt even though I think my hair grows really well in the spring months as well ( I live in the sunny Bahama Islands:grin:, so it's warm about 85-90% of the year). I do eat a lot better, drink lots more water and exercise more in the summer, hence the greater spurt.

bumping.....:perplexed

Now I know somebody else is counting on the Infamous Summer Growth Spurt.:rolleyes:

Come On....Let's hear all about it!:grin:

I think what I considered a growth spurt is really growth retention. In the summertime I am more likely to want low maintenance hair because I love the beach and swimming. So there is a lot more conditioner rinsing and overall just leaving my hair along and let it do what it wants to do. Perhaps all that moisture and low manipulation is what generates the growth.

True story: Last Spring 2009, around April or May I decided I wanted a sharp haircut. I got a cut very similar to Tia Mowry's who plays Melanie on The Game. Well, I didn't like the bangs they were a little on the short side. So I said, I'll braid it up for the summer and give the bangs a chance to catch up a little, and then rock a short haircut for the Fall. I had single braids put in early June when I took them down mid-September my hair had grown so frigging much there was no short cut to rock anymore. Not only had my bangs grown out but my near ear-length cut was grazing APL. It was crazy!!! :spinning: Everyone kept commenting how fast my hair grew. To be honest it was crazy to me too, I couldn't believe it. My hair has always done better in the summer. But I was really watching my diet and I was also working out 4-5 days a week. Plus I always drink tons of water, maybe those things factored into it along with the protective style.

Also, this was before this board and any other forum. I didn't know anything about co-washing and a bunch of products, and I wasnt using growth aides. I would just rinse them occasionally with water and clean my scalp with tea tree oil. That's it. :yep:

I usually relax between 24-40 weeks. I've feeling like relaxing at 34 DAYS:yep: I've been sweating like nobody's business and the heat and humidity here had been ferocious.

I'm going to just keep it braided up under my wig until fall. Oh, I forgot that I've been spritzing with distilled water every day too.

I'm not sure if it's because of the different geographical locations, but I don't think I get one. Maybe if I lived in a more humid area I would. *shrugs*

Back