Summer 10 Wet Bun Challenge

Starting Pic: Sorry about the wet shirt, my hair was dripping and the towel I use to keep my clothes from getting wet was soaked already lol.
IMG_1238-vi.jpg

Method - After washing, I twist my hair into jumbo twists and let dry for at least 2 hours. I then removed the twists and pull my now stretched hair into a bun.

Products - Garnier Fructis Moisture Works Fortifying Cream Conditioner, Bee Mine Curly Butter or Koils by Nature Herbal Soothing Peppermint Gel for hold, Bee Mine Luscious Balanced Cream Moisturizer, and shea butter (which I use on the ends only).

Last edited:
Okay, here is what I think of wet bunning after one day of doing this. I LOVE IT! My ends are still moisturized, and my ends are not all bent and crinkled. I did have to change it up mid-day though. Since my hair is so short it wont stay in a bun all day so I had to twist my little itty bitty ponytail, and twist it and pin it up with one bobby pin....YES ONE bobby pin...I really need some lenght....

I'm a few days late, but can I join? Pretty pleaseee!?!?!

I was planning on twist & braid outs for the summer, but it's just not working.:sad:

Can you guys post the buns you have been wearing. Or the youtube videos with tuts. I need more ideas for buns. lol. Thanks.

Can you guys post the buns you have been wearing. Or the youtube videos with tuts. I need more ideas for buns. lol. Thanks.

http://www.youtube.com/user/kabrinam?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/16/0ocUBy8090U

Here's a cute one I want to try!

Edit: I did a spin off of that bun. I tried first with 2 sections, twirling them, then wrapping around and securing. It looked tooooo flat, and then it fell down! So, I tried now with three, and I love the results.

Here are pics:

2 sections. Flat & yuck!

IMG00353201006241228-vi.jpg

3 sections:

IMG00354201006241234-vi.jpg

Last edited:
HIIII! :wave:

My hair has been super moisturized from only the few days that I have been bunning. I LOVE IT!

So today, I once again experimented. I tried to do chunky finger coils after my co wash. I used Giovanni Direct Leave-In and Eco Styler Olive Oil gel on the edges. I also sealed with some herbal african oil (I think that's the name). I gave the EVCO a try, but my hair didn't like it. I'm not sure if I'm using it right, but my hair was dry afterwards. The chunky finger coils didn't work, so I shook them out and just did a three section twist bun, like I showed above. After work I took down my bun, and let it dry.

Hopefully more people will post!!!!

Last edited:
Can I still join? :look: I have been wet bunning all week, due to the humid weather. I made me a spritz of VO5 conditioner, Silk Amino Acids, and water. I will still do my regular DC with steam once a week. I will post a pic on Monday. Thanks

Can I still join? :look: I have been wet bunning all week, due to the humid weather. I made me a spritz of VO5 conditioner, Silk Amino Acids, and water. I will still do my regular DC with steam once a week. I will post a pic on Monday. Thanks

Of course. Welcome to the Challenge!

You know I have never used SAA in my mixes, how do u like it? Have u tried your mix w/o it? Any difference?

I'm about to put my hair back up in a bun. It has really helped it stay moisturized. Usually with braidouts & wash and go's my hair gets dry, frizzy, and tangled. I love bunning!

I just put some box braids in without extensions. I used wetting them and using Care Free Curl Gold to moisturize. Hopefully this challenge will help me to retain my inches this summer.

I know the challenge began 10 days ago but I just found this thread and I REALLY want to join. I already started wet bunning....
about 6 hours ago. :look:

Wet bunning is the best no-heat, PS I've ever found! Its simple, fast, keeps me cool, and helps to keep my hair slicked back and looking neat. LOVE IT! I feel like my hair is starting to thicken up considerably.

Thanks for allowing me to join. :grin: Here's my starting pic...

Attachments

• 2010 - 0701.jpg
    2010 - 0701.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 18
Qurlyqt, I LOVE your bun, and the little flowers. It's so cute. :)

Thank you! I love your hair period! I'm only mad that I don't see a Fotki in your siggy so I can hang out in your album. I was going to pm you anyway because I need to know how you did that ca-yute 3 section bun. Please tell.

hi ladies!

i was in the last challenge and must really say IT WORKED! i got growth and retention like i've never had in my whole life!!!

here's a picture from where i started before bunning, and where i arrived as of 3 days ago. everything under the line is the NEW GROWTH thanks to what i'm doing on here!
thanks ladies, and PLEASE put me down for this continued challenge!

I somehow overlooked the link the first time around. Thanks for sharing. My hair would have to get a LOT longer and MUCH thicker for me to pull this one off IMO. Yours looks great! :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/user/kabrinam?blend=1&ob=4#p/u/16/0ocUBy8090U

Here's a cute one I want to try!

Edit: I did a spin off of that bun. I tried first with 2 sections, twirling them, then wrapping around and securing. It looked tooooo flat, and then it fell down! So, I tried now with three, and I love the results.

Here are pics:

2 sections. Flat & yuck!

IMG00353201006241228-vi.jpg

3 sections:

IMG00354201006241234-vi.jpg

Thank you! I love your hair period! I'm only mad that I don't see a Fotki in your siggy so I can hang out in your album. I was going to pm you anyway because I need to know how you did that ca-yute 3 section bun. Please tell.

It was actually a modified version of that link. Instead of doing three twists, I did three, fat fingercoils. I can't wait until my bun gets bigger.

Are you ladies dressing up your buns with any pretty flowers, headbands, or clips? I made a cute pink flower with a rhinestone in the center.

Here are the instructions:

http://lifewiththree.blogspot.com/2009/02/how-to-make-cute-hair-clips-with.html

ETA: My fotki is in my profile. It should be "rockstarhair" as the user name.

Last edited:
Still wet bunning and it's good so-so. I was going a bit overboard with the product and my hair constantly remained damp. Now, I think I got the swing of things (not being heavy handed with product) and hopefully I can achieve some good results going forward. I'm doing simple buns, nothing fancy. Hopefully I can check out some of the links and get good ideas.

This is the most quiet Challenge I've ever been in. :look: How's everyone doing with their wet bunning?

I'm doing really well with my wet bunning actually. Even though I'm Lower NL, I can still make a bun. Its small, but still a bun.

Wow.. I've fallen off. I had a touch up 2 weeks ago and still retained a lot of length. I'm going to jump back in this challenge!

I need to update my pics.....

Of course. Welcome to the Challenge!

You know I have never used SAA in my mixes, how do u like it? Have u tried your mix w/o it? Any difference?

Sorry for the late reply. To be honest, I cannot tell the difference from using or not using it. So I put it in everything, to try to use it up. I won't repurchase. :nono:

hi ladies!

i was in the last challenge and must really say IT WORKED! i got growth and retention like i've never had in my whole life!!!

here's a picture from where i started before bunning, and where i arrived as of 3 days ago. everything under the line is the NEW GROWTH thanks to what i'm doing on here!
thanks ladies, and PLEASE put me down for this continued challenge!

JAW DROP. Conrats girl!

But WOW......That's a huge difference! I feel so behind, I have been wet bunning as long as you and I started off around the same length, but my hair is nowhere near as long as yours. :perplexed:

What else have you been doing other than wet bunning?

I'm still wet bunning under a phony pony 5 to 6 days a week. It's been great--especially with this hot weather. I've mainly been using a rosewater, glyercin .aloe mix with Wen Replenishing Spray on the days I don't wash. I just got Bee Mine Juicy Spritz and will be test-driving it for my wet buns. I'm hoping to get the amazing growth posted by "grow".

I'm still wet bunning under a phony pony 5 to 6 days a week. It's been great--especially with this hot weather. I've mainly been using a rosewater, glyercin .aloe mix with Wen Replenishing Spray on the days I don't wash. I just got Bee Mine Juicy Spritz and will be test-driving it for my wet buns. I'm hoping to get the amazing growth posted by "grow".

Let us know how the Bee Mine Juicy Spritz is working for your buns! I want to try that one out. :yep:

JAW DROP. Conrats girl!

But WOW......That's a huge difference! I feel so behind, I have been wet bunning as long as you and I started off around the same length, but my hair is nowhere near as long as yours. :perplexed:

What else have you been doing other than wet bunning?

Thank you, Drappedup!

i am rather surprised myself because i always had thought either my hair wouldn't grow or that if it did, it only grew very slowly, instead, it was my retention that i had not paid alot of attention to.

-i wrapped my hair to achieve both looks you see in the pics and have not used heat in over 7 months.:nono:
-i also use M-T-G and when i'm not using that, i use MT.:yep:
-i massage my scalp daily.
-i also put conditiioner on my ends when i wet bun and,
-i have been an egglette (raw egg shakes thread) practically since i started.
-have you ever tried Ayurveda? that has been working well for me, too.

hht and most of all, even if you fall off the wagon, which i have done many times when i've been too busy to stay behind my hair, just get right back on the wagon as soon as you can. do not, under any circumstances, give up!:yep:

i forgot to add, i've been cowashing since i started, too.
2 to 3 times a week at the beginning of the year, every day now that it's hot.
i bag my whole head every night faithfully.

Last edited:
Back