stretching out relaxers...?

misscrystal

Nappy and Happy
i've been stalking quite a few albums, and one thing i noticed is that alot of people are stretching out their relaxers. how do you do this? my hair seems to get terrible if i wait longer than 6 weeks to relax it.

so here are my questions:
-i've always heard that waiting too long to relax new growth weakens the hair. obviously that's untrue, but can someone help me understand why?
-what products, tools and techniques do you use to stretch out your relaxers? (please feel free to be as VERBOSE as your heart desires on this one! /images/graemlins/smile.gif i really want some detailed explanations!!)
-how do you keep your hair looking nice (straight, curly, baggie-d up or otherwise) when you're stretching out perms? (again, verbosity is NOT a bad thang /images/graemlins/laugh.gif)

thanks in advance ladies.

Dreamn

Chasing the Unicorn
-some ppl experience breakage while stretching relaxers, esp when they try to do something extra with a lot of new growth. i go anywhere from 12-14 weeks, and once my roots start getting thick, i only comb through my hair wet with moisturizer on it. i also dont like straight hair, so i def. dont use heat or try any straight styles. and i def. dont try to comb my hair dry.

- i just use moisturizer to help stretch my relaxers and then i put my hair in twist outs or a phony pony, nothing special.

- and to keep it looking nice i do twistouts and use aloe vera gel to gel my edges down and tie a scarf on it so that they lay flat.

thats all nothing special /images/graemlins/smile.gif HTH

ETA: i was never a chronic relaxer. meaning i was never one of those ppl who had to run out and relax every 6-8 weeks. so "stretching" so to speak, was never a big deal to me. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

shellzfoshizzle

Well...I had a post similar to this one about 3 or 4 days ago cause my hair was breaking off and I wanted to know how people did it. I wanted to stretch out my relaxer to cut down on the chemical styling, save some money, keep styling and maintenance to a minimum, etc. At about my 6 1/2 week, it just hits my hair. It gets really hard to style, doesn't hold any curl (I roller set my hair), takes longer to dry, needs more product (which I'm trying to cut down on), my edges and kitchen look horrible, my ends are snaggly and frizzy (although I don't need a trim because I just did one 3 weeks ago), when I combed through my kitchen, it was breaking off with the bulb attached to the hair (which meant that it was actually coming out of my scalp!) and it seemed as if it was more hair in the comb, sink and my shirt than I had on my head.

To answer your questions, my new growth was beautiful and about 2-3 inches long. I would have loved to go to 12 weeks like some people do, but I would have been looking jacked up!!!!!! I am a product junkie so I try to limit my products. I used BSS Jojoba oil in a squirt bottle for my hair and I greased with Doo Gro hair grease. At night I wrapped my hair and rolled the top for a little bounce the next day but it just did not come out in the morning how I wanted so that meant more styling, more breakage. Honestly, my hair was not looking nice so I don't know how other people do it.

I couldn't take it any longer and decided to self-relax cause I didn't have $60+ for a professional relaxer. Saturday night I put in a Regular Dark and Lovely No-lye relaxer. I shampooed with Keracare shampoo, conditioned with Kercare Humecto, greased my scalp with whatever grease I had nearby, rollerset, let air-dry and then oiled my scalp with WGO hair oil and my hair with African Royal Hot 6 oil the next day. My hair looks a hellofalot better. And feels better too!!!! Now my only problem is shedding, not breaking but I guess that is expected from self-relaxing and drug store/bss relaxers.

I don't think I'll be waiting to stretch out my relaxers anymore.

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
I stretched out my relaxer touch-up for the first time from July to October. (3 months as opposed to 4-6 weeks). I noticed that my hair is stronger from doing this...not weaker. I'm basing that on when I got a relaxer, it didn't straighten my hair all the way. That makes me think my hair is strong enough to resist the relaxer. But the benefit of stretching out relaxer touch-ups is that you don't have to apply chemicals to your head as often. For example, if you relax every 4-6 weeks, that's approx. 12 times a year. If you relax every 3-4 months, thats only 3-4 times a year. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Here are some techniques I used when I stetched out my relaxer. I would avoid combing as much as possible, keep my hair moisturized, and keep it protected like in a bun. I use oils for my new growth. When you do have to comb your hair, use a wide tooth comb and gently comb your hair in sections.

How to keep your hair looking nice is still difficult for me. Rollersets work if you can get your hair straight enough with a rattail comb to put it in a roller. Otherwise, you will have to settle for the infamous bun. Buns work if you do not manipulate your hair too much while putting your hair into a bun or taking it out of a bun.

Hope that helps! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

TrustMeLove

I don't try to stretch out my relaxers. It just seems to happens. I have noticed that I have Too much breakage, when I have the intentions to stretch out my relaxers. But today I just counted the weeks and thursday or friday I will be 9 weeks post relaxer and I couldn't imagine getting a relaxer right now. I don't feel enough new growth and my hair is still manageable.

I say don't think about stretching, just do your hair maintenance like regular and let your hair tell you when its time to get a touch-up.

Im kind of scared too because in about a week in a half I have a major show and my hair needs to be on point but, I don't want to get an un-necessary relaxer.

-Faye

Isis

Stretching out my relaxers seem to make my hair stronger and fuller. I like not using the chemicals on my hair that often. Since I don't wear my hair bone straight, styles like braidouts or braided updos easily blends the new growth in. I only comb my hair when wet during my wash/conditioner time and I use my hands to style at other times so there is very minimal breakage going into 12, 13 weeks or more.

MizAvalon

I go anywhere from 12-16 weeks with my stretching. It starts getting a little rough after about 8 or 9 weeks. I only comb after it's been washed and not again until the next wash. I keep it bunned or cornrowed up. Little manipulation is the key for me stretching out my relaxers. I used to be a 6, 8 weeker too, but I wouldn't dream of doing that now. I relax once a season, 4 times a year. I love getting that nice surprise of seeing how much longer your hair has gotten, especially when it seems so short those last few weeks of stretching because of the shrinkage. Not to mention, my hair is healthy as all get-out because of using chemicals less often.

candibaby

When I first joined LHCF, I stretched my relaxer out to 21 weeks. I've learned that though I did have a lot of new growth and my hair ended up being way fuller, thicker, and bouncier when I finally relaxed.. stretching that far is not for me. I've gotten sick of braids, so I can't go past 10 weeks or it becomes ridiculous to comb my hair.

I use braids and other protective styles to stretch my relaxers. When I stretched to 21 weeks I was getting a new set of cornrows every 2.5 weeks. Last time I relaxed at 10 weeks, I got cornrows at 4wks post and then had my own hair braided and sported a phony-puff til I was 9 weeks post, and wore my hair in a ponytail to 10 weeks when I relaxed. I think braids really help as far as that goes. PATIENCE is another thing. When the going gets stuff (or should I say new growth) you have to be very patient, especially w/ combing and detangling. Ripping through it or using a rattail comb for 14wks of new growth is a no-no. For me, detangling with a moisturizing conditioner on makes it go smoother.

If I want my hair straight, like relaxer straight, I'll get it flatironed. I dont use heat on my hair very often, thats why I stay in braids. But up until 9-10 weeks post, it's still very possible for me to do a rollerset/wrap and end up with very sleek and straight hair. HTH

MizAvalon

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
When I first joined LHCF, I stretched my relaxer out to 21 weeks. I've learned that though I did have a lot of new growth and my hair ended up being way fuller, thicker, and bouncier when I finally relaxed.. stretching that far is not for me. I've gotten sick of braids, so I can't go past 10 weeks or it becomes ridiculous to comb my hair.

I use braids and other protective styles to stretch my relaxers. When I stretched to 21 weeks I was getting a new set of cornrows every 2.5 weeks. Last time I relaxed at 10 weeks, I got cornrows at 4wks post and then had my own hair braided and sported a phony-puff til I was 9 weeks post, and wore my hair in a ponytail to 10 weeks when I relaxed. I think braids really help as far as that goes. PATIENCE is another thing. When the going gets stuff (or should I say new growth) you have to be very patient, especially w/ combing and detangling. Ripping through it or using a rattail comb for 14wks of new growth is a no-no. For me, detangling with a moisturizing conditioner on makes it go smoother.

If I want my hair straight, like relaxer straight, I'll get it flatironed. I dont use heat on my hair very often, thats why I stay in braids. But up until 9-10 weeks post, it's still very possible for me to do a rollerset/wrap and end up with very sleek and straight hair. HTH

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, candibaby! 21 weeks? Did you get any breakage?

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
PATIENCE is another thing. When the going gets stuff (or should I say new growth) you have to be very patient, especially w/ combing and detangling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me about it!!! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

kitchen_tician

The following helps me stretch 12-14 weeks:
1. Grease/oil (softens newgrowth)
2. Limited Heat (every 2 weeks)
3. Leave it alone (no excessive combing and washing)

zora

I'm not sure if this product is still out, but try using Always 911. It was always an instant relief for my new growth back in the day. It works well.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
MizAvalon said:
[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, candibaby! 21 weeks? Did you get any breakage?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that I know of, when I went in to get a relaxer my stylist said I needed a trim, but she didnt even trim 1/4" if that.. she didnt say I had any breakage. I guess the braids saved me?

Zuppy

Home roller sets using mesh rollers helped me a lot. I can pull the hair very taut. And conditioner washes.

Cinnabuns

This is such a great thread. I'm adding this to my favorites and now I have allot of motivation to stretch out my relaxer until January 31st (last perm on October 31st)!

Thanks ladies. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Carlie

[ QUOTE ]
Tene said:
Co washes helps me stretch my relaxer ...

[/ QUOTE ]
This has helped me as well! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sheba2000

I gave up on stretching out my relaxers when I saw it was doing me more harm than good ( my breakage, no matter what, was out of this world /images/graemlins/shocked.gif). I relax whenever my hair needs it now and concentrate on making sure my hair is healthy. I always deep condition and use aphogee about once a month to prevent major breakage and shedding. I like relaxing my hair more often now because I'm so impatient when it comes to growing my hair out, and everytime I get a touch up my hair looks longer so I feel that I can really enjoy it! Another thing is that I use affirm, and that never seems to really "relax" my 4b hair the way I want it to and my hair always ends up looking very underprocessed. But I still love my hair texture and I stick to the affirm because I know its pretty mild and I don't feel so terrible about overlapping when I relax after like 6 weeks.

sheba

MonaLisa

I'm on week 7...and with the new growth/underprocessing with the affirm self relax...I was getting a lil testy...but I did the coconut/lime joint last night along with a combo CON/NTM shampoo and a Motions CPR/Humecto mix...and my new growth is under control...for now anyway. I think I can make to the 12th week.

Carlie

wow, so that coco/lime mixture really works? /images/graemlins/shocked.gif Interesting... /images/graemlins/smile.gif

MonaLisa

Works for me. Really helps to soften up my roots...along with the conditioning...I think I'm good now.

When I got my wash and set last week...I peeped seeing my hair in that tiny comb when my Domincan stylist was rolling up my hair...and that was enough for me. I'm like I'll take it from here until next touch up time.

Nobody's gonna treat your hair with love like you do.

Nanyanika

Sorry ladies i have to a get a touch-up, i'm seeing too many flyaways hair, i feel like a failure now, but what do i do my hair is breaking from demarcation line?

Britt

S-Curl should help you prolong your relaxer. Spray your new growth several times a week and it should soften up some.

ms_kenesha

If you're getting a lot of breakage; I say relax...no use waiting and having a lot of breakage and then need a huge trim because of it. Lulu is my freq. relaxing idol! /images/graemlins/notworthy.gif

[ QUOTE ]
den1 said:
Sorry ladies i have to a get a touch-up, i'm seeing too many flyaways hair, i feel like a failure now, but what do i do my hair is breaking from demarcation line?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nanyanika

[ QUOTE ]
Britt said:
S-Curl should help you prolong your relaxer. Spray your new
growth several times a week and it should soften up some.

[/ QUOTE ]

Britt, i already use the s-curl, i'm wearing twists and their matting, my hair is softer now due to CW, i can't wait any longer especially as i still have some uneven texture left, i don't want to lose anymore hair.

Falon

As I sit here typing I am fighting to hold on until at least next week to get some braids I want a touch up so bad.

I am at week 10 now (Yay for me this is the longest ever aside from transitioning)and I'm stuck with this boring bun. I'm going to get braids next week (11th week) and not get a touch up until the first week in January. I just want a nice surprise when I take the braids out and I can measure my new growth after 16 weeks.

But I am surviving by barely combing my hair (hence the boring bun) and my hair has only been washed every 9 days or so for the last month cuz I just can't deal with it. I just wait till my head itches before I wash it (I hate this cuz I love clean hair)I have tried so many other ways to stretch but these 4b's ain't trying to hear it. I have left my UBH alone entirely (can't deal with the roughness) I am using Capilo Milk and Honey with heat for deep conditioning...Salerm 21 for a leave in (not really moisturizing enough) and I need to get some more coconut oil.

Every day it's the same old same...I make a pony tail than I take my black scrunchie and pull my pony tail through it...next I fan out my pony tail and tuck it around the black scruncie...lastly...I take a second pony tail holder and use it to hold down the ends of my hair ( I will put a pic in my album later) Granted it takes 3 minutes to fix my hair but it's sooooo boring.

kombov_dymond

I stretched for 8 weeks the last time. I have been going 4 for the longest. I couldn't figure out WHY my hair was thinning until I got in here.

Anyway, what I did was Surged. It surprisingly softened my NG(I did my scalp only). I also spritzed my hair with castor daily. I wore alot of twist-outs(that I always pin up). CO washes 2X a week(for me) also helped to keep my roots from getting crunchy. Crunchy roots means demarcation breakage. That's what you have to avoid.

Finger combing or using a shower comb helps alot too. I wore french braids the last few weeks because all I had to do was finger comb my hair to style it.