Stretching out Relaxer--halfway there :smirk:

jainygirl

I have less than 6 weeks to go
smile.gif
how are others coming along with stretching out their relaxers on the challenge? Do you think you may cave in and relax sooner? or is this not as difficult as you thought it would be? --jainygirl

Im not caving in but . . . I relaxed about 4 weeks ago and am really struggling here. The Surge gave me about 2 more weeks of growth than usual
smile.gif
which means, it feels like 6 weeks--my normal touch up time. My original goal was 16 weeks. I think I was half-sleep when I posted that because there is just no way. I am going to hang in for 4 more weeks and then decide from there. (I'm also on the no-heat challenge so, once that is over on December 17, I will be able to flat iron the roots. Maybe that will make a difference). But I am still hanging in there. (If it starts shedding alot though, Ima have to cave in).

Jainygirl, sounds like you are doing great! Do you have any tips or product suggestions on taming the newgrowth? I see you and I have the same type of hair (4a/4b).

Its easy for me. I relax my hair every six months. I do the conditioner washes and it works out great. I also where extensions 2mths on the 2 months off. I havent had any breakage.

I thought about caving in this week. I only have like 3 weeks to go. I have so much new growth its ridiculous. Ill just be sticking to these protective styles for the next 3 weeks and hopefully that will work!

Any suggestions on what conditioners and moisturizers I should use to soften this new growth? TIA!

[ QUOTE ]
perfectpeace said:
Im not caving in but . . . I relaxed about 4 weeks ago and am really struggling here. The Surge gave me about 2 more weeks of growth than usual
smile.gif
which means, it feels like 6 weeks--my normal touch up time. My original goal was 16 weeks. I think I was half-sleep when I posted that because there is just no way. I am going to hang in for 4 more weeks and then decide from there. (I'm also on the no-heat challenge so, once that is over on December 17, I will be able to flat iron the roots. Maybe that will make a difference). But I am still hanging in there. (If it starts shedding alot though, Ima have to cave in).

Jainygirl, sounds like you are doing great! Do you have any tips or product suggestions on taming the newgrowth? I see you and I have the same type of hair (4a/4b).

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't been having too hard of a time dealing with my new growth.....so far
frown.gif
i know this may sound bad--i just don't comb through it unless it's the day i shampoo
look.gif
I use my hands to go through it during the week when it seems like something crazy may be going on up there
laugh.gif
, or else i gently pull a widetooth comb through it. I try not to do this too much 'cause my new growth tends to get kinda "foresty" after a while if you know what i mean
crazy.gif
i have read on the boards where other 4a/b's have suggested using Sta Sof Fro on the new growth while stretching out relaxers to keep it soft and managable
smile.gif
I bought some this past week. i tested it in a small area and i liked how it made the new hair feel, much more managable. Hopefully Sta Sof Fro will save my sanity later in this challenge
wink.gif
--HTH---jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
carmella25 said:
Its easy for me. I relax my hair every six months. I do the conditioner washes and it works out great. I also where extensions 2mths on the 2 months off. I havent had any breakage.

[/ QUOTE ]

wtg carmella
smile.gif
I wish so much i could wear braids or extentions
smirk.gif
i just have one of those scalps that just won't allow it. i swear everytime i tried braids or a weave i ended up having to take them down after 2 weeks max
ohwell.gif

Hey Chaya
smile.gif
your hair looks great
smile.gif
i mentioned to PerfectPeace how i've been reading about using Sta Sof Fro on the new growth to keep it managable so that is what i will be trying in the last month of the challenge. I would keep using the same conditioner and shampoo just because i think if it aint broke dont fix it
wink.gif
I have also read in other posts about some members using hair butter on the new growth to soften it. I'm not sure about brands and such but it is something else to look into
smile.gif
HTH --jainygirl

[ QUOTE ]
perfectpeace said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the SURGE? I tried to do a search on it, but it doesn't seem to be working right now....thanx!

im halfway there as well. my goal was not to relax my hair for one whole year. im on month #6, week #32 an counting.......

I'm caving big time. I dont think I'll make it past Christmas. My hair looks and feels TERRIBLE.

[ QUOTE ]
stiletto said:
[ QUOTE ]
perfectpeace said:
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

What is the SURGE? I tried to do a search on it, but it doesn't seem to be working right now....thanx!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey stilleto, i just bumped a thread on Surge for ya
smile.gif

My hair is already at 10 weeks...I'm not sure if I can go longer b/c it's starting to break when I comb it. I'm not sure if I have any products that can help with that

I almost caved and got a relaxer because I have a christmas party to go to on thurday. But first I tried some different styles and nothing worked well, I decided to try some sta-sof-fro because all are raving about it and voila.....it works like magic to soften new growth. I have a style that I am going to wear to the party and I think I will make it till the 29th of December. That will be 15 weeks post relaxer, longest i've ever gone.

[ QUOTE ]
blaxalrose said:
Do you guys have any concerns that stretching out your relaxer will damage your hair? That's why I always heard until I came here. Most beauticians say 6-8 weeks max.

[/ QUOTE ]

It has been my experience that hairdresser will tell you anything to get your money. When I first started getting a relaxer, the beauticians said touch up every 12 weeks I realized during the summer that the new instructions are now every 4 weeks. The formula hasn't changed and the way they do it hasn't changed. The companies and the stylists just realized that if women relaxed their hair more often, then they would make more money.

I am at week 7 and still holding. I will make my February 2004 date. I have alot of new growth right now, but I will continue to wear a bun until the bitter end. I now find myself doing more CO washes for moisture purposes. I really can not wait to see the results in February. I currently have approximate 14 inches of hair. I just started my hair growth journey in July 2003.

1st Goal - Bra Strap length by Aug 2004
2nd Goal - Below Bra Strap by Dec 2004
3rd Goal - Waist length in 2005

Last Touch up - October 22, 2003
Last Trim - October 20, 2003

With Jesus and Our Lord Almighty on my side all things are possible!!!!

[ QUOTE ]
silvergirl said:
im halfway there as well. my goal was not to relax my hair for one whole year. im on month #6, week #32 an counting.......

[/ QUOTE ]

love your bun
smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
lthomas1 said:
I am at week 7 and still holding. I will make my February 2004 date. I have alot of new growth right now, but I will continue to wear a bun until the bitter end. I now find myself doing more CO washes for moisture purposes. I really can not wait to see the results in February. I currently have approximate 14 inches of hair. I just started my hair growth journey in July 2003.

1st Goal - Bra Strap length by Aug 2004
2nd Goal - Below Bra Strap by Dec 2004
3rd Goal - Waist length in 2005

Last Touch up - October 22, 2003
Last Trim - October 20, 2003

With Jesus and Our Lord Almighty on my side all things are possible!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah ITA i think the schedule for getting your hair relaxed according to beauticians coincides with how much they need for that car they want or to maintain a lifestyle basically. --jainygirl

I almost caved in becuase my hair felt like it was becoming damaged. However, I decided to try something different. I'm currently at 16 weeks and 4 days. I want to get to 6 mos (24 weeks). I used queen helen's hot oil treatment and cholestrol conditioning (it was on sale at CVS for 99 cents). It made my hair so soft and much easier to comb through. I am currently wearing a braid out. I plan to go back to the bun style after this since my braid out's are starting to look like an afro. I am going to make another attempt to do a roller set with larger rollers and see how that works out with all this new growth. My last roller set was on medium rollers and only lasted about 2 days.

I am happy that I made it to 16 weeks so if I do cave in before 24 weeks I will not be disappointed. I am always trying to stretch my hair to see if I'm at bra strap yet. It looks like I am but I can't tell quite yet. I can't wait to see how long my hair is once I get my touch up.

I am ten weeks post relaxer is newgrowth is really getting
hard to manage.
I braided my hair up and put in a drawstring ponytail get by this week TRYING NOT TO CAVE IN.
wallbash.gif

It has been just over 12 weeks since my last relaxer (4 Sept 2003). I am aiming to stretch this until Feb 2004. What are you guys going to do once you reach your 'stretch-out' goal?

Sam

My next touch up date is February 2004, but I am willing to see how thing are coming along, who knows I may decide to do six months instead.

Back