Stretching out relaxer challenge.........HELP

BrEE

for those of you who go 3+ months without relaxing how do you get the new growth soft and detangled enough so that when the hairdresser goes through it to apply the relaxer she isnt ripping and tearing apart your head??? i've done a good job with managing my new growth so far, i'm 3 months past going for 6 and i dont comb my new growth which helps but when it comes time to relax how in the heck is a rat tail comb gonna get through it??

do you apply grease/butter/moisturizer on the new growth to detangle and soften it up? if so what kind?

also can you apply it the day you plan on relaxing?i ask this because i know some people add vaseline or conditioner to their hair when they realx so the relaxer doesnt damage the already relaxed part. so will the grease/moisturizer cause the relaxer to not be as effecive?

jainygirl

i had been spraying it with sta sof fro during my stretchout and the day i touched up, i eased my finger tips through my newgrowth and down the length of my hair earlier in the day and again like an hour before touching up to loosen my newgrowth (doing this also helped to untangle my relaxed ends). i just knew that combs were not the way to go for me right before touching up
(because even if the comb didnt touch my scalp it would still be pulling on my hair too much at the root) Also i would just base with Vaseline
i was so excited to touchup i forgot to base my scalp!!!
good thing i still pulled through just fine anyway
--jainygirl

katie

I use Profectiv Root Health on my new growth(the tub says you should use it for 3 days before relaxing) the night before a relaxer.It helps a good deal with moisturizing the new growth.The relaxed part I just try to detangle by hand and with some serum.

Spagirl

During stretch out time I detangle my hair in the shower as I'm rinsing out the conditioner. After applying my leave in concoction (giovanni's leave in mixed w/a little Aloe Vera Gel) I seal with WGO. I then comb it (in this order) using my largest tooth detangling comb (Jibere shower comb, 10 teeth comb), medium spacing comb (27 teeth comb) then my smaller spacing comb (36 teeth comb). This is how I smooth down my hair to tame the roots some (similar to Hairlove's method). I then air dry my hair in 2 braid (one on each side of my head. After my hair has dried (also again if needed a few days before relaxing) I spray my hair lightly with my concoction (mentioned above), do the 3 comb method again, then I wrap it. As I wrap it I continue to spray the ends to smooth them down. This way my roots are straighter and my stylist has no reason left to be ripping my hair out.

Note: I use the multiple comb method to keep me from ripping my hair out by the time I get to my finer spaced hair comb. A method done on my hair by an old stylist when tangles were encountered: Use a wider spaced comb 1st if present comb giving you drama. Work down (one comb varing spacing at a time) to drama comb teeth spacing. HTH and I hope it makes sense!

Ooops!...got to go!

BrEE

thanks everyone. spagirl thanks for the tips
. i forgot all about wildgrowth. i've used it before and it sure did help soften new growth. i think i'll try that along with elasta qp mango butter.thanks

Lee

I use shea butter mixture on my new growth which consist of shea butter mixed with proclaim 7 oil and aloe vera gel. Very moisturizing for my new growth.

LABETT

I use Profectiv Roothealth to soften my newgrowth and use
a large tooth comb and I usally wear a drawstring ponytail
to help extend my relaxer time my hair is up and I am not
combing my hair during the week.