6 mo.post i relax tomorrow help!!!

HairTemptress

hey ladies,
i relax tomorrow and my hair is very dry, which it always is. i plan to cowash tonight and then heavily base my hair and cover the hair (not the new growth) with oils to prevent overlapping. i have done this before with no ill effects to my hair.

the reason i do this is because my Hairdresser rips through my new growth when she relaxing. it so ridiculus.its like shes trying to comb through it WITH a a smal tooth comb!! i mean there has got to be a better way for her to relax me? right?

The real questions for you ladies:

Can she relax my hair without trying to comb through my newgrowth?
cant she just part the actual straight hair, slap the relaxer on and then when its processed she can smooth/comb through?

and how do i explain this to her, about how i dont want her ripping through my hair to relax it?

I don't know if that's possible, however when I have a lot of new growth, the day (or 2) before, I'll dc my hair until it's soft enough to comb through. Once I rinse it out, I'll part my hair into the four sections that the relaxer is applied in. Then I'll carefully fully comb the roots and do a plait. That way when it dries it's already detangled, plus the stylist doesn't have to do the four parts. And suggest to her to use the tail of the small comb, not the teeth. Hope that helps. Congrats on your stretch!

I always let my hairdresser know, just say that you would prefer her or him, to relax without combing, at the end of the day it is your hair that you have to live with and your paying for a service. if you find your hairdresser is combing through then stop them and let them know :) just be upfront hth x

I just relaxed yesterday after a 5 month stretch so I know how your feel. Thankfully, my stylist uses one of those short, flat brushes to apply the relaxer. It has an end like a rat tail comb so she uses that to separate the hair.

I've learned from past experience that it's best to make sure my hair is detangled before a relaxer no matter how hard it is. When I didn't, I ended up with severely underprocessed hair and correctives made my hair weak. To relax, your stylist will need to be able to separate your hair. I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I always straighten my hair a week or so before a relaxer to make my hair easier to part through.

You can detangle your new growth before you go. Take a wide tooth comb for her to use if she has to comb through your new growth. Tell her point blank - "that small tooth comb rips my hair." if she insists. She may need to use the tail to part and the teeth to smooth the relaxer, but she shouldn't be using a small tooth comb to rip through 6 months of new growth.

I use petroleum jelly to protect my ends and base my scalp.

It would be really hard for her to just separate the straight parts...

Back