PROTECTO WITH AFFIRM RELAXER

soslychic

What is the purpose of that protecto stuff that comes on the side of the Affirm Relaxer? It says to apply it EVERYWHRE EXPECIALLY THE NEW GROWTH BEFORE RELAXING? Why is this? Wouldn' this interfere?

I am writing this straight from a flyer I picked up at a beauty store that sells Affirm products.

"Affirm Protecto: Pre-Chemical Conditioner- Exclusive to Affirm Conditioning Relaxer System, not sold separately. Penetrates deep into hair fibers during relaxing; repairs and realigns damaged sites; mends fly-away split ends; eases combing; minimizes shedding. Usage: distribute throughout hair prior to applying Affirm Relaxer Creme."

It is a conditioner to help protect and mend your hair during the relaxing process.

Affirm users, does your stylist also base your scalp with the Protecto or does he/she use the Affirm Gentle Assurance Scalp Protector Cream (or another base)? Mine uses the Protecto on my scalp, and I think that's the reason I burn so much!

i do mine at home and i just apply the protecto to my starnds and vaseline on my scalp.
I think Affirm is an excellent relaxer, it is truly worth the extra bucks IMO.

I use the gentle assurance along with some oil sheen to base my scalp and experienced very little burning for the first time in my life! I'm not sure if one of them worked or the combo was good because I'd never tried either. I thought the protecto stuff was for the scalp too until I read the back and when I looked at the stuff it looked to thin to do any good on the scalp anyway so I just used it on the strands.

Beana, what strength do you use and how long do you leave it on? I tried mild and my hair came out underprocessed twice! It could very well have been my method because my strand test worked. I'm determined to make this work because I bought the 4 pound tub!

[ QUOTE ]
I use the gentle assurance along with some oil sheen to base my scalp and experienced very little burning for the first time in my life! I'm not sure if one of them worked or the combo was good because I'd never tried either. I thought the protecto stuff was for the scalp too until I read the back and when I looked at the stuff it looked to thin to do any good on the scalp anyway so I just used it on the strands.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's great to hear! I'm going to order some of the Gentle Assurance from Sheldeez so I can make sure I am well based before I walk into that salon.

I used the mild strength and i'm a 4a. i left mine on for 20-25 mins and it took very well.

My lil sis applied mine and she was very thorough with her application, she made sure to smooth and properly coat every area she needed to. I haven;t had any of my (unfortunately characteristic) hair troubles for the past 4 weeks!

My "affirmed" hair actually looks a lot shinier and healthier. Then again, what works dfor one person may niot work for the next, how long are you leaving yours on???

I too am a 4a/b. I used the mild for 25 minutes, but I think that I had way to many sections (like 16, i thought that it would help to keep the sections small because my hair is so thick) so I kept getting confused on which ones I'd smoothed and which ones not. I notice that a lot of people just use 4 sections so that's what i'll do this next time. it says (to the left) that your hair is texturized? so does relaxing in the way you said only texturize it or have you switched to completely relaxed hair?

soslychic, i actually forgot about changing my hair status on the left.. I was underprocessed, and there wasn't an option for that so i just said texturized".....
grin.gif

I am properly relaxed now, I'll change it (thanks!)

Back