Spin-off: The Health of Your Scalp on Hair Growth

kiesha8185

Hey, Everyone!

This is a spin-off of vtoodler's post. I didn't want to take her thread off topic, so I decided to start a new one. I think I've started a thread on this topic before (lol) but I have different info in this one...

I have heard that lye relaxers are better for the hair, but I still choose to use a no-lye relaxer, and this is why:

Lye: Harsher on the scalp, better for the hair.
No lye: Easier on the scalp, more harsh for the hair.

I have always thought I was tenderheaded, when in fact the improper application of no lye relaxers (every 6 weeks :perplexed) were damaging my scalp. I still use no lye, but my stylist knows how to apply the relaxer correctly. I don't burn anymore.

I've been doing some research on the affects relaxing and the condition of your scalp and began to realize the importance of how a healthy scalp does play an vital role in the health of your hair. It was interesting that my type-1 friends would complain about oily hair (most of the oil closer to the scalp) and type-4 friends would complain about dryness (more dryness on the ends) and the answer hit me....the difference is sebum production! Because of our kinks and coils, it's harder for the sebum to travel down the hair shaft as efficiently as type-1 hair types, which can explain dryness most type-4s complain about. I hear about this all the time, but never put two and two together because I never thought it was THAT serious :spinning:

So...after years of relaxers damaging my scalp by burning and scabs, how do I correct this? I have begun to oil my scalp with coconut oil and essential oils to repair and restore the normal pH of my scalp in order to promote natural sebum production. I looked up essential oils that promote growth, prevent hair loss/shedding by strengthening the root in the hair follicle, and have healing properties for the skin on my scalp. Then I do nightly scalp massages to "push" the oils further, then comb my hair to distribute the oils down the hair shaft. I have also increased my intake of Omega 3-6-9s, as well as making sure I drink lots of water and eat tons of green veges each day. I can honestly say that my scalp is "moveable" now, my scalp is very tender and I think it's making my hair grow faster. (I haven't been doing this long enough to definitively say that). Additionally, I no longer suffer with dry/itchy/flaky scalp, which is great :yep:

I think we can all agree...we're choosing between the lesser of two evils here lol :lol:. But which type of relaxer is easier to work with, lye or no lye??? It's my very unprofessional opinion :look::lachen:to salvage my scalp and manually apply moisture to my hair...than to damage my scalp just for softer hair. This is why I choose to stick with no-lye.

Lye seems to have the upperhand in being more damaging by causing irreparable damage to the scalp. The possibility of hair loss (lye: harsher for scalp) is a harder fish to fry than breakage caused by dryness (no-lye: harsher on hair). We know they're both still very strong chemicals, but you have more control over that preventing damage with no-lye than lye relaxers by just moisturizing your hair. I've been using Kimmaytube's Leave-in Conditioner on wash days and use Homocrin's Natural Nourishing Conditioner for Dry & Brittle Hair on non-wash days. I do my Baggied Roller Method to preserve my ends and my hair stays soft...this is the proper balance for me.

My question is posed more on the health of your scalp. What do you ladies do for your scalp, or do you focus more on your hair? Do you grease/oil your scalp?? If so, why and with what?

Thanks in advance and I hope this helps someone!!

Last edited: