Have You Ever Burned Your Scalp With A Lye Relaxer?

vtoodler

As we all know, lye relaxers tend to much harsher on the scalp, though gentler on the hair.

Many of the relaxed women on this forum use a lye relaxer. Have you ever experienced scalp burns, abrasions, or any other affliction due to a lye relaxer done either at home, salon or anywhere else?

If so, what did you do to it, and how long did it take for it to heal?

Last edited:

faithVA

Unfortunately I had years of scalp burning due to a relaxer. I learned to spray my scalp with an oil sheen before I went to cut down on the issues. Even with that after years of relaxing my scalp was damaged due to the combination of the relaxer and the heat of the dryer. My skin just tends to be very sensitive and very dry.

If it is a recent burn, I would suggest healing type oils like Olive Oil and Vitamin E. A little Aloe Vera can help reduce the inflamation and soothe the area. This should be quick to heal but it depends on the severity.

I have had years of damage and my damage is old so I am using a combination of oils with essential oils added. And I give myself scalp massages at least twice a week. It will take me between a year and a year and a half to heal my scalp. I saw noticeable results in about 6 months.

Nix08

Relaxed, 4B
I haven't gotten a burn in a while but after I relax and wash...I apply AVG to my scalp then apply my DC and go under the steamer. I think that has been a very beneficial step for me:yep:

RUBY

Yep. I applied it at home - revlon realistic lye relaxer regular. I burnt the middle section scalp area of my head. Thankfully it healed and i don't have any long lasting effects from it. But that experience is the main reason why if I ever went back to relaxing, I wouldn't self relax again.

Chaosbutterfly

Transition Over
I hadn't had a burn since switching to lye two years ago, but with my last relaxer, I got a couple (and still ended up underprocessed :rolleyes: ).
I applied a blend of castor and vitamin e oil to them about three times a day, and tried not to manipulate my hair much. They were healed about four or five days later, and everything seems to be fine.

I got my relaxer done at a salon, btw. I don't blame my stylist or the relaxer, because I'd never had a problem with either before...it was my fault for stretching too long and scratching my head before coming in.

Dposh167

My stylist always did it cuz she would end up with the relaxer on my scalp. Ever since ive been relaxing myself...i havent had a burn ever

jillybean2012

Yes, most recently after my disasterous december 2011 retouch.

However, after making several changes regarding my relaxer and relaxer process, my feb 2012 retouch went much better all the way around.

No burning, I didn't feel 1 tingle!!! This is the first time in my 7 years of self relaxing that I never had issues with scalp irritation/ burning.:yep:

Last edited:

prospurr4

I've been a self-relaxer for DECADES, but I don't remember EVER burning my scalp with a relaxer. If I did, it was years and years ago.

I don't even base my scalp with anything. When I got on the forum, I was surprised to read that many ladies were basing their scalp prior to the relaxing process. I currently use Revlon Realistic Lye in Regular strength.

Misseyl

Yes, everytime I use a relaxer I would get scabs, but now that I've been using Phyto, I haven't experienced any burns whatsoever. I know it is expensive but I only relax three times per year so it doesn't feel so bad.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Lye or no lye, I always burned. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in some cases but would tough it out. Scabs all over my scalp.

Found out later that I have scalp eczema. Doh! So putting harsh chemicals on my scalp is like putting raw acid on an open wound. Which is why I went natural. For ME, it wasn't worth it. Everyone is diff though...

Oh, I learned to base with WAX but my perm wasnt as straight and it would only buy me another couple minutes of processing time. At least should could get the whole perm on before I started feeling the burn. lol

Last edited:

BlkOnyx488

Everytime I got a relaxer I burned somewhere on my head, one of the reason I decided to stop doing them. I never did anything the burns would heal on their own.:ohwell:

Last edited:

drmuffin

How did that happen from the relaxer? Did you leave it in too long? Wow how is your hair doing now? What relaxer did you use?

Did your hair fall out?

drmuffin
how did that happen?

Yup all it took was that one relaxer and it took my hair out on my right side and in the back. I believe it was the lye version of ors, or maybe silk elements...i can't remember. I don't want to remember! That was a horrible day. I woke up that day with a healthy head of hair...and the rest is history! I was about 5 months post, and I didn't leave it in long at all. I'd say around the 25 minute mark. Buuuurrrrnnnneeedddd like fcuk! Head FULL of scabs and sores. I decided to go natural and cut all my hair off 21 days after, which is a year from this Saturday! Certainly not here to badmouth relaxers, but personally, if something can cause damage like that, then it's not for me! :lol: I can definitely do without!

Attachments

• IMAG0076.jpg
    IMAG0076.jpg
    239.8 KB · Views: 45
  • IMAG0082.jpg
    IMAG0082.jpg
    258.6 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

drmuffin

Here's how my hair's doing now. The twist I'm pulling is on the side where my hair fell out. I have about 4" of hair. I would have more, but I'm a trim-a-holic. :perplexed

Attachments

• Photo on 2-23-12 at 10.37 PM #2.jpg
    Photo on 2-23-12 at 10.37 PM #2.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 41

NaiyaAi

When I first started relaxing, it was with this lye relaxer by Elasta QP and I burned EVERY SINGLE TIME. =( I used Mizani once, which was also a lye relaxer, and did not burn at all. Not even a little tinge of an itch. So I guess it depends on the relaxer, but as long as you don't have any scalp issues (dandruff, psoriasis, etc) going on, and you base properly, I don't think you'll have any problems with burns.

MarieB

Too many times, whether I based or not. My last relaxer was this fall--no burns that time, but it was underprocessed. At this point, I'm feeling like that was really my last relaxer.

jetera21

drmuffin

Silk Elements Lye Relaxer ate my edges also! Burned like hell immediately and my edges were gone after rinsing. This was in 2010 and my edges are barely growing back!

Dposh167

drmuffin

Was it your application or basing your scalp wrong that made it take ur hair out* like what were the steps prior to this that resulted in this? Did u hair come out while u were washing it out or did it fall out gradually weeks later? Im just really curious cuz ive been using silk elements lye for a long time qnd ive never seen anything like this before

Last edited:

Raspberry

dang @drmuffin I'm sorry that happened to you :nono: Though 25 minutes is too long to leave on a relaxer, I think the max application time is supposed to be 18 minutes. Some people leave it on for way longer with no issues though, my hairdresser when I was a teen used to leave me burning indefinitely (ugh) but it's Russian Roulette.

BostonMaria

My hair was relaxed for 26 years and my scalp was burned EVERY..SINGLE..TIME

I actually enjoyed scratching off the scabs ahahahaha