Question for long term lye relaxer users

EmeraldSky

I recently switched to a lye relaxer, but I've heard lye relaxers be described as harsher on the scalp, but healthier for the hair. Has anyone here used a lye relaxer for years and if so how has your scalp reacted over the years?
I started wondering if it's possible that after a few years the lye relaxer being harsher on the scalp might damage my hair follicles more so than using a no lye even though I base my scalp carefully. If that's the case I would rather battle the effects of drier hair than possibly inhibit hair growth or damage my scalp.
This question really has me puzzled so I would love to hear any opinions on it.

Thanks!

MiaLi

[ QUOTE ]
I recently switched to a lye relaxer, but I've heard lye relaxers be described as harsher on the scalp, but healthier for the hair. Has anyone here used a lye relaxer for years and if so how has your scalp reacted over the years? . . . I would rather battle the effects of drier hair than possibly inhibit hair growth or damage my scalp.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the question EmeraldSky. I have also been considering the pros and cons of lye versus no-lye relaxers. Like you, I think it would be easier to address hair that is dry using no-lye than long term harm that has been done to the scalp with lye.

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I have been using lye relaxers for a long time...I believe that I switched in the late 80's. I don't burn my scalp and have not had any problems with it. My scalp is healthy...it doesn't require oiling, moisturizing, or anything beyond washing.

pebbles

I'm not a long time user. I switched in November, but I really noticed a difference and it's been great for me. So far, I have no complaints about the lye relaxers. I'm glad I switched.

When my mom first started relaxing my hair she used revlon lye, which used to come in a box kit, back in the early 90's. It did burn my scalp, but my hair was very healthy and I did not suffer any problems. However, no-lye relaxers still burn my scalp and I am currently trying to grow out my relaxed hair b/c I don't like what has come of it.

mirrormirror

Ive never used lye relaxers. And I never knew anything about lye and no-lye. But, if no lye is easier on the scalp wouldn't it be better for your hair. Cause healthy hair starts from the scalp. You can always use moisturizing products to keep your hair healthy.

Tracy

I've used lye realxers for about 10 years now. Getting the best of both worlds with lye relaxers really takes a good stylist or careful application of your own....

But I truly believe that the shine and the health of my hair despite realxing and coloring is not due in small part to the consistent use of lye over no-lye relaxers.

I had a brief stint with scalp burns a few months ago but it was due to my not having a good stylist and not taking proper precautions of my own. If you base the scalp well (do it yourself if you have to), be sure not to wash the hair or manipulate the scalp too much beginning about 48 hours before your touch up and make sure the scalp is overly aggravated DURING the relaxation process, lye relaxers can yeild straightened hair that is extremely healthy.

Some people can manage this with no lyes, but I never could.

EmeraldSky

Thanks you guys for all the responses. I've been told that once you use a lye relaxer you can't switch back to no lye so I guess unless I plan to cut my hair that I'll stick with the lye relaxer. I was curious about the long term experiences of using lye so this thread has been very helpful.

Tracy

Not so true - at least for me ES...

Before I settled on lye relaxers (through my preteen and teens years and ALLL through HS) I switched back and forth and back with impunity. Sometimes from touch up to touch up! If there's minimal overlapping and you take good care of your hair you can probably switch back if you want. :Tracy sings: but I don't think you wiiiillll....

lala

My hair/scalp does not know the difference between lye/no-lye relaxers. I switch back & forth between Affirm (mild) and PhytoSpecific no-lye without any problems whatsoever. The only reason that I don't use the PhytoSpecific consistently is b/c the relaxed state does not last as long as the lye. I found it to be less drying on my hair. I have also alternated with Motions mild relaxer.

Stormy

I've used lye relaxers for years and I found the key to less or no burning (for me)is to base the entire scalp and it also depends on who's applying the relaxer and the strength. I use Motions Mild strength with no problems. In the past, whenever I did get scalp burns it didn't damage my hair follicles. Also...if you do burn, you can apply sea breeze to your scalp (warning! This WILL burn temporarily!)and you will NOT have any burns afterwards (or sores). I mean you shouldn't have burns, but you know everything doesn't work for everybody. It's just something to try.

HOTCHOCOLATE

[ QUOTE ]
My hair/scalp does not know the difference between lye/no-lye relaxers. I switch back & forth between Affirm (mild) and PhytoSpecific no-lye without any problems whatsoever. The only reason that I don't use the PhytoSpecific consistently is b/c the relaxed state does not last as long as the lye. I found it to be less drying on my hair. I have also alternated with Motions mild relaxer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Lala,

I've been considering the Phytospecific relaxer, could you please give a further review of this relaxer and also list the ingredients. And what do mean when you said, "the relaxed state does not last last as long as the lye"? Since I thought it was impossible for relaxed/permed hair to revert back. The reason I was so interested is because the company is advertising that this relaxer is unlike any other relaxer in that it is all natural.

Thanks for any info you can give

lala

Hi HotChocolate,

The PhytoSpecific Index #1 ingredients for the egg and soya active extracts straightening cream (from insert):

Water, emulsifying wax, mineral oil, propylene glycol, egg extract, soy extract, oleth-20, peg-75 lanolin, cocoamphocarboxyglycinate, fragrance. Ingredients: Aqua, emulsifying wax nf. Paraffinium Liquidum (huille minerale). Propylene glycol, ovum (EUF) glycine SOJA, OLETH-20, PEG-75 Lanolin, cocoamphocarboxyglycinate parfum.

It's mixed with an inductor: Water, guanidine carbonate, xantham gum, FDC yellow #5.

It retails for about $44.00. The kit also includes a corn germ oil pre-balm, neturalizing and cleansing emulsion & a milky restructurer.

What I meant by the relaxed state does not last long, is that the new growth has to be retouched sooner, my hair overall, seemed to start "puffing" up after 4 weeks. I didn't mean to imply that my previously relaxed hair reverted back, b/c I'm only applying the relaxer to the new growth. HTH.