SouthernGirl's Self-Relax Tips

Tee

SouthernGirl said:
Hi Letitia,

The Vitale Positive Conditioner is a reconstructive conditioner that brings the PH balance of your hair back to normal after the relaxer. I've run out so I don't have a bottle to give the specific details and ingredients, but I don't know if you would achieve the same results by substituting a "regular" conditioner. Maybe one that has the same properties might do the trick, but I'd recommend using the Vitale line.

HTH,

SG

Thanks SouthernGirl and Priestess.

Tee

SouthernGirl said:
Hi Letitia,

The Vitale Positive Conditioner is a reconstructive conditioner that brings the PH balance of your hair back to normal after the relaxer. I've run out so I don't have a bottle to give the specific details and ingredients, but I don't know if you would achieve the same results by substituting a "regular" conditioner. Maybe one that has the same properties might do the trick, but I'd recommend using the Vitale line.

HTH,

SG

I found the Vitale Positive Conditioner and I even picked up the neutralizing poo. I already had the base by this line. I didn't get this relaxer since I already had the Silk Elements Relaxer waiting. My friend did my hair and used your tips included here. My hair turned out great!

Thanks for this very useful information! Hugs.

LovelyLionessa

Your welcome Letitia and Southerngirl. And good luck to every one on your self relaxing adventures. I know it has been the single most liberating aspect of my haircare journey to date. :yep:

ChoKitty

I was looking for this last night! I eventually went to your Fotki from my friends list. I did my first self relaxer today...While it might not be absolutly perfect....I am extremely happy with myself..Lol. I think I only have one burn..a tiny one that doesn't bother me...

krissynick

How do you rinse the neutralizer out of your hair. I was thinking about it and I would be scared to rinse it out while in the shower.. Im scared it might get into my eyes. Any advice?

nicki6

krissynick said:
How do you rinse the neutralizer out of your hair. I was thinking about it and I would be scared to rinse it out while in the shower.. Im scared it might get into my eyes. Any advice?

Rinse it out in the bathroom or kitchen sink. Simply bend over the sink, check the water temp and pressure, and rinse it out.

Please don't do it in the shower:nono: That sounds like a quick way to get relaxer in places you don't want it:rofl:

MizAvalon

Bumping an oldie but goodie.:) This thread is perfect for me because little does my longtime stylist know that she just might be about to get THE BOOT!!:eek:

shunta

MizAvalon said:
Bumping an oldie but goodie.:) This thread is perfect for me because little does my longtime stylist know that she just might be about to get THE BOOT!!:eek:

Okay?! Im seriously thinking about self-relaxing cuz Im sick of the salons and trying to schedule an appt, not being based, relaxer being applied to my edges first, etc. :violin:

Okay, Im done rambling. Thanks for these tips, SouthernGirl! :kiss:

MizAvalon

shunta said:
Okay?! Im seriously thinking about self-relaxing cuz Im sick of the salons and trying to schedule an appt, not being based, relaxer being applied to my edges first, etc. :violin:

THANK YOU!! I've been going to my stylist for years and have never had any real problems with her but a little over a year ago she left the shop and started doing hair out of her house. She is just getting a little too comfortable because I'm a long time client and because she's at her house.

What's really making me consider self relaxing is 2 weeks ago I got a touch up after 27 weeks. She cornrowed it immediately after. I just took the cornrows out last night and washed my hair. Why is my hair barely straight?!:mad: I called her up today and told her about it and she says it's because I wait too long between relaxers. Oh really? Then why in the 6 years that I've been coming to you is this the first time this has happened? And had the nerve to sound annoyed while telling me this!

I'm going back to her in about a month for a corrective that she will be doing for FREE and after that I think I might be done.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Are u relaxing soon too Fabulousity? I have plans to self relax for my birthday next month(that's if I can get the breakage in the crown taken care of first).
I "think" I am going to do it today. I am going to go to the beauty supply and gather all that I need and then come home and stare at the bottles until I work up the nerve to take the plunge.

morehairplease

I "think" I am going to do it today. I am going to go to the beauty supply and gather all that I need and then come home and stare at the bottles until I work up the nerve to take the plunge.

Oh, I am so excited for you. Will you be posting pics? I am going to sally's tomorrow to purchase a packet of the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and see if that stops my breakage. What relaxer do you plan on using? I am torn between Hawaiian Silky no base/no mix lye and Design Essentials lye.

Je Ne Sais Quoi

Oh, I am so excited for you. Will you be posting pics? I am going to sally's tomorrow to purchase a packet of the Aphogee 2 minute reconstructor and see if that stops my breakage. What relaxer do you plan on using? I am torn between Hawaiian Silky no base/no mix lye and Design Essentials lye.
Something Mild like Silk Elements or Ors is what I'm thinking of doing :yep:

Khaiya

Just thought i'd bump this for those who like me are thinking of taking the plunge and could use all the help we can get, thanks SG!