********Self Relaxing Tips/ Add Your Tips Here******

Traycee

I feel like this is all information you guys already know...
I don't have any tips for Texlaxing...You guys educated me on this one

The most important step is neutralizing but will talk about that later

Always read instructions

Never wet hair before relaxing hair.........

Wait at least 3 day after washing and 5 day after removing braids...( you don't want to burn)

It is good to use a protective petroleum gel like or Vaseline...around hairline ...especially if you use a lye relaxer

Also lightly apply conditioner to ends to help with overlapping

I part my hair down the middle in two sections, but it is a lot easier for self relaxers to do four sections instead of two

Never start in the same place when applying relaxer
You don't want one particular area always being processed longer....

If you have a problem area ...like nape or crown...apply relaxer to that area last

I personally prefer using applicator brush to apply relaxer....some like the back of comb...It is important that you do not overlap...( waiting at least 6 weeks or 1/4 inch of new growth makes this so much easier)

Never apply relaxer from root to tip....

application time should be 5 to 8 mins ...Thicker hair no longer than 10 mins ( quicker the better)

I know it is popular at salons...but never comb hair while relaxer is in hair to help break it down ...

What I do is after I apply it. I rub gently with finger tips to help breakdown hair

Over and Under processing....

Most relaxers give you a breakdown on how long you can leave relaxer on your hair

This is a great system ....never go over time suggested.....

Use a mirror....rub relaxer to see if your hair is broken down the way you prefer.....Timers are good but you'll find sometimes your hair will breakdown quicker than you expected...(remember porosity effects how fast your hair processes)

Using a mirror over a timer will save you from over-processing and under-processing....

Rinse relaxer throughly.....Make sure you have completely rinsed out relaxer before shampooing

I know a lot of women add in protein treatment before shampooing...which is great....But remember until you use a neutralizing shampoo you hair is still processing

Always use a neutralizing shampoo after relaxing ....I like to let the neutralizing shampoo sit on my hair for at least a couple of minutes before I start shampooing....Color coded neurlizers are great when your a beginner...

Thats all I can think of right off the top of my head....Any more questions please feel free to ask ....and please add advice here!!!!!!

gymfreak336

Thanks Traycee........

When you say broken down, do you mean how much curl pattern is visibly left? I know when I got relaxed at a beauty school, they waited until it didn't "pop" back up when they smoothed it.

Traycee

Thanks Traycee........

When you say broken down, do you mean how much curl pattern is visibly left? I know when I got relaxed at a beauty school, they waited until it didn't "pop" back up when they smoothed it.

Yes..I should have explained that better.......

Traycee

Oh and when I say rub....Don't literally rub relaxer into scalp:nono: ...LOL....just smooth it with finger tips

pr3tty

It seems like I never have to start a thread you ladies are great at reading minds also...

I am relaxing this weekend and this will be my first relaxer since joining lhcf and I want to do it right.

This helps thanx

SleepyJean

I don't have any tips for Texlaxing...You guys educated me on this one

The most important step is neutralizing but will talk about that later

Always read instructions

Never wet hair before relaxing hair.........

Wait at least 3 day after washing and 5 day after removing braids...( you don't want to burn)

It is good to use a protective petroleum gel like or Vaseline...around hairline ...especially if you use a lye relaxer

I part my hair down the middle in two sections, but it is a lot easier for self relaxers to do four sections instead of two

If you have a problem area ...like nape or crown...apply relaxer to that area last

I personally prefer using applicator brush to apply relaxer....some like the back of comb...It is important that you do not overlap...( waiting at least 6 weeks or 1/4 inch of new growth makes this so much easier)

Never apply relaxer from root to tip....

application time should be 5 to 8 mins ...Thicker hair no longer than 10 mins ( quicker the better)

I know it is popular at salons...but never comb hair while relaxer is in hair to help break it down ...

What I do is after I apply it. I rub gently with finger tips to help breakdown hair

Over and Under processing....

Most relaxers give you a breakdown on how long you can leave relaxer on your hair

This is a great system ....never go over time suggested.....

Use a mirror....rub relaxer to see if your hair is broken down the way you prefer.....Timers are good but you'll find sometimes your hair will breakdown quicker than you expected...(remember porosity effects how fast your hair processes)

Using a mirror over a timer will save you from over-processing and under-processing....

Rinse relaxer throughly.....Make sure you have completely rinsed out relaxer before shampooing

I know a lot of women add in protein treatment before shampooing...which is great....But remember until you use a neutralizing shampoo you hair is still processing

Always use a neutralizing shampoo after relaxing ....I like to let the neutralizing shampoo sit on my hair for at least a couple of minutes before I start shampooing....Color coded neurlizers are great when your a beginner...

Thats all I can think of right off the top of my head....Any more questions please feel free to ask ....and please add advice here!!!!!!

What if the suggested time on the instructions is longer than 10 mins?

LadyZ

Oh and when I say rub....Don't literally rub relaxer into scalp:nono: ...LOL....just smooth it with finger tips

=========

Traycee,
I am a little confused on the smoothing part... How should I do it? Just apply a light pressure to my finger tip and rub in a downward way and if it is processed enough the wave pattern of the new growth should lay down? Sorry to sound "stupid", but I will be attempting my first self relaxer this coming weekend and I am scared... I think I will do the front half first, then do the back last.... I don't want to mess this up... I am reading every post over and over and have made myself a chart and notes and everything :lachen: :blush:..... Thanks for helping us new self relaxers out... It is a scary thing for us and we need all the tips and help anyone can share... You and all the other ladies are "SWEETHEARTS".... And I truly appreciate it...
TIA

Traycee

What if the suggested time on the instructions is longer than 10 mins?

Don't leave it in longer than that.....It most likely will process faster than that....Just Never go over time suggested....

Smooth relaxer down with fingers or back of comb adding enough pressure...you can see how your hair is breaking down....you can see your wave pattern get looser ...I rinse and wash when it lays flat and a curl or wave is pattern completely gone....I like my hair really straight....Rinse and shampoo when you feel your hair is straight enough...

Use a mirror ....over time because (do not exceed suggested time)
I say this because you probably don't have to leave it in the whole suggest time....I say this because sometimes your hair breakdown in 5 mins and other times 8 mins or whatever..........

Traycee

=========

Traycee,
I am a little confused on the smoothing part... How should I do it? Just apply a light pressure to my finger tip and rub in a downward way and if it is processed enough the wave pattern of the new growth should lay down? Sorry to sound "stupid", but I will be attempting my first self relaxer this coming weekend and I am scared... I think I will do the front half first, then do the back last.... I don't want to mess this up... I am reading every post over and over and have made myself a chart and notes and everything :lachen: :blush:..... Thanks for helping us new self relaxers out... It is a scary thing for us and we need all the tips and help anyone can share... You and all the other ladies are "SWEETHEARTS".... And I truly appreciate it...
TIA

Smooth relaxer down with fingers or back of comb adding enough pressure...Smooth backwards away from forehead ...That should have been the same direction you applied the relaxer ...you can see how your hair is breaking down....you can see your wave pattern get looser ...I rinse and wash when it lays flat and a curl or wave is pattern completely gone....I like my hair really straight....Rinse and shampoo when you feel your hair is straight enough...Just again do not exceed the suggest time

Think back to the last time you got your hair relaxed at salon ...they add pressure by rubbing...or combing with a thin tooth comb:nono:..Please don't comb hair with relaxer in hair.(thats a no no)....This is done to help relaxer breakdown faster and to check curl or wave pattern...If a wave pattern pops back in your hair it is not completely straight....

Don't worry you'll be fine

LadyZ

Smooth relaxer down with fingers or back of comb adding enough pressure...Smooth backwards away from forehead ...That should have been the same direction you applied the relaxer ...you can see how your hair is breaking down....you can see your wave pattern get looser ...I rinse and wash when it lays flat and a curl or wave is pattern completely gone....I like my hair really straight....Rinse and shampoo when you feel your hair is straight enough...Just again do not exceed the suggest time

Think back to the last time you got your hair relaxed at salon ...they add pressure by rubbing...or combing with a thin tooth comb:nono:..Please don't comb hair with relaxer in hair.(thats a no no)....This is done to help relaxer breakdown faster and to check curl or wave pattern...If a wave pattern pops back in your hair it is not completely straight....

============

This is great info.... I feel better now... I will use a mirror to check the back... And I will do it in halves too... front first, rinse, neutralize and then cover with a plastic cap with conditioner, then proceed to the back... I will post good or bad the results...

My hair has become such a mess, over/under processed, not neutralized enough, which has resulted in damaged/breakage... I refuse to pay someone good money to do this to my hair... I am capable of doing all this myself... I never realized that my hair had been so violated until I started reading on self relaxing... I now realize that so many NO-NO's :nono: have been committed on my hair:sad:... Now I have to keep trimming all the bad ends off (it tangles like crazy), until I get to where the healthy hair is (If there is any) ... I can say this to all ladies who are relaxed, READ the "self relax" post and make sure your stylist is following the rules, especially if you are experiencing breakage...
I was experiencing breakage and bought every product made by man to help it... in the end nothing helped.... I then knew I had hair damage... And will be doing my own hair from now on... Healthy hair has to start with the proper application of the relaxer, if you don't have that then, you hair journey will be a rough one... Take it from me... I have learned a hard lesson:wallbash:... Hope this helps post will help someone... Once again... If you are relaxed and can not get your breakage under control... It might be your relaxer and how it was applied to your hair...

OK, I have vented:wallbash:....

Thank you so much Trayceee, for this post... I know I can do it....:rolleyes:

MonaLisa

This is so timely :yep: -

*I'm watching Gym :sekret: as I'm prepping for my Spring Equinox touchup :lol:

The bolded hit me over the head as to why one side of my head was so much thinner than the other...now that I've been paying attention to that side, I've seen improvement and I know that I need to start applying relaxer touch ups to that area last, not first...going forward.

texasqt

Question: Myth or fact? I've been led to believe that you should never start in the crown area because of the relaxer seeping into the scalp easier (sounds crazy as I'm typing this, I know, but that's what I heard). However, my crown is my most resistant area and my hair texture there is a 4b. Around my edges and nape, I have 3b/4a texture. So is it okay to start in the crown? I usually part in 4 sections so I'll be starting at the top of each section.

gymfreak336

This is so timely :yep: -

*I'm watching Gym :sekret: as I'm prepping for my Spring Equinox touchup :lol:

The bolded hit me over the head as to why one side of my head was so much thinner than the other...now that I've been paying attention to that side, I've seen improvement and I know that I need to start applying relaxer touch ups to that area last, not first...going forward.

I had the same problem Mona, my left side looked flat compared to the right.

Traycee

Question: Myth or fact? I've been led to believe that you should never start in the crown area because of the relaxer seeping into the scalp easier (sounds crazy as I'm typing this, I know, but that's what I heard). However, my crown is my most resistant area and my hair texture there is a 4b. Around my edges and nape, I have 3b/4a texture. So is it okay to start in the crown? I usually part in 4 sections so I'll be starting at the top of each section.

You guys are really making you use my brain today :lachen::lachen:

The part about seeping into your scalp is a myth.....They say you should not start on the front because the front of your hair usually processes faster.....This is true.....Have you or seen some one try to color their hair lighter at home and the front of the hair around hair line completely comes out lighter....This is why.....The front processes faster...So if coloring especially lighter you should apply to front last....

With relaxing example your having problems with nape...so you don't want that section processing the longest...section hair in four sections....Start applying to the top sections first....Start to apply to the relaxer at the back of the top section not at hair line (going up until you reach hairline)...Just like if you started at nape .....After you do top two sections
then apply to back two sections.....

Rapunzel2B

ITA. I have done the exact same thing!:yep:

=========

Traycee,
TIA

Rapunzel2B

Traycee,

Thanks so much for doing this! Your hair is wonderful. I like my hair really straight as well. I know timing different for everyone based on a lot of different factors. How long does your process usually take to achieve the desired straightness? Also, if you have some areas that are under processed, should I relax further down? Do you clarify and do a protein treatment before a relaxer? My biggest concern is avoiding underprocessing. I have been stretching for 11 weeks and will stretch for at least another week maybe even longer. I am not in a hurry, just taking it one day at a time.

Don't leave it in longer than that.....It most likely will process faster than that....Just Never go over time suggested....

Smooth relaxer down with fingers or back of comb adding enough pressure...you can see how your hair is breaking down....you can see your wave pattern get looser ...I rinse and wash when it lays flat and a curl or wave is pattern completely gone....I like my hair really straight....Rinse and shampoo when you feel your hair is straight enough...

Use a mirror ....over time because (do not exceed suggested time)
I say this because you probably don't have to leave it in the whole suggest time....I say this because sometimes your hair breakdown in 5 mins and other times 8 mins or whatever..........

Traycee

Traycee,

Thanks so much for doing this! Your hair is wonderful. I like my hair really straight as well. I know timing different for everyone based on a lot of different factors. How long does your process usually take to achieve the desired straightness? Also, if you have some areas that are under processed, should I relax further down? Do you clarify and do a protein treatment before a relaxer? My biggest concern is avoiding underprocessing. I have been stretching for 11 weeks and will stretch for at least another week maybe even longer. I am not in a hurry, just taking it one day at a time.

Okay...my hair is really coarse so I process anywhere from 5 mins to 8 to 10mins after application......Me personally....My hair in the middle usually processes slower.....Sometimes I'll make four sections and start with the two bottom sections first....I start at the top of the two bottom section and work my way down to my nape.... that way the middle processes longer....The more you self relax the more you'll learn your hair.......

MonaLisa

I had the same problem Mona, my left side looked flat compared to the right.

Oh snaps...we have same side issues..:ohwell:

I've been trying to pay the left side more attention and make sure that I'm not neglecting it product and conditioning wise. The right side is thriving..

and I thought about it when you were talking about touching up..and I saw some other threads...

I was like..I always start my relaxing on the left side then go to the right...

I was like...okay it's time to switch this year and hopefully the left side can catch up to the right..

but I think I'm going to try Atlien's half and half routine in a few weeks...see how that works instead..

like I said, this was a timely thread...

Rapunzel2B

Gotcha... that makes perfect sense. My hair is also very coarse in the back and at the crown. What types of preps do you do to get ready for self relaxing? clarify, protein treatment, etc? Sorry for so many questions. Someone else may have the same questions though. Thanks again.

Traycee

Gotcha... that makes perfect sense. My hair is also very coarse in the back and at the crown. What types of preps do you do to get ready for self relaxing? clarify, protein treatment, etc? Sorry for so many questions. Someone else may have the same questions though. Thanks again.

I clarify a couple of weeks before relaxing....I do protein a week before and sometimes a week after ...Only if I need it...I try to keep things as simple as possible!!!

LadyZ

Traycee,

How much relaxer do I need for a touch-up? the whole jar(8 oz) Or do I use half of it?

Also, what is a good conditioner to add to the relaxer? I have Kenra MC, Mazani Moisturefuse, Joico Moisture Recovery... I am going to add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and Kemi oil... I want to do a Aphogee 2-Minute before I neutralize, so I know I should not add a conditioner with protein in it... But the ones I mentioned do have wheat protein and I know the Joico has some type of Keratin :ohwell: in it.... Thanks for all your help.... I know I will post another question again before the 'big day" which is set for this Saturday :grin:...

Traycee

Traycee,

How much relaxer do I need for a touch-up? the whole jar(8 oz) Or do I use half of it?

Also, what is a good conditioner to add to the relaxer? I have Kenra MC, Mazani Moisturefuse, Joico Moisture Recovery... I am going to add 1 teaspoon of EVOO and Kemi oil... I want to do a Aphogee 2-Minute before I neutralize, so I know I should not add a conditioner with protein in it... But the ones I mentioned do have wheat protein and I know the Joico has some type of Keratin :ohwell: in it.... Thanks for all your help.... I know I will post another question again before the 'big day" which is set for this Saturday :grin:...

The amount of relaxer depends or thickness of hair...I could never use a half a jar it would do about half of my head ..lol.....If you do the protein ...my only suggestion would be to follow up last with a good deep conditioner with heat....I usually do my protein a week after...but that is just a personal preference.....Always follow up a protein treatment with moisturizing deep conditioner

Lady Esquire

Traycee, great thread!

* I use Summit Sensitive Scalp Base Creme on my entire scalp and edges. I base and detangle the night before. Then I rebase the day of. My mom used it in her salons, and I love it 'cause it has a slight tingle and I never burn with it. I bought a 14 oz. jar about 4 years or so, and still have some. It goes a LONG way.

* Add Chi Silk Infusium to my stands, for double duty: as a protective coating and for the silkening benefits from the silk protein.

* Prior to applying relaxer, I sit under dryer, with its coolest setting (the cold air) to close my pores, if I suspect moisture on my scalp (i.e. wet product or sweat).

* Let neutralizer sit in hair for a few minutes, rather than doing shorter washes. Do not scrunch up hair. Slick it down, so that hair will stay straight, and gives much straighter results than washing and scrunching hair...keep slicking the neautralizer down.

* A week later (for me, I do this as soon as 4 days later) - Use a neutralizing shampoo, let it sit for about 10-20 minutes. Just in case it did not neutralize correctly at first. Also, do a protein treatment, such as Aphogee or Emergencee.

Last edited:

Misseyl

Thanks Traycee, this is just in time because I'm thinking about giving myself a touch-up after a 1 year stretch so this is just reminding me of some of the things I need to pay attention to.

I also want to add that when smoothing first you need to put the relaxer on the hair and all the sections that you need to relax then you go back and smooth. I remember when I first started relaxing my hair I ran into trouble because I would apply the relaxer and smooth it right away.. I didn't give the relaxer no time to relax the hair.