Sl 2016 Challenge

Let me go read some of the MHM thread. I always skim because it's crazy long but I need tips.
Ladies, I cannot figure out how to wear my hair. I cowashed 2 days in a row and my hair feels dry and the wash n go was good yesterday but today not so much. I think I'm ready to try the MHM method and add clay to my regimen. Especially since I don't want to do anything to my hair but wash n go. I want to do as little to my hair as possible. Max hydration will hopefully aid in retention and less tangles. I'm going to do a couple of searches and then go to the beauty supply store during my lunch hour for a few things.

Question though do you think straightening every few months has to stop with this method?
Maybe your hair needs to be clarified. Maybe that's why it's dry.

Adding the should help. Get rhassoul if you can.

@faithVA you know what, I haven't clarified in a minute. I should probably do that. I've been in that MHM thread and it's overwhelming. I think I may be making this harder than it has to be. But I did say (was it in this thread?) that I wanted to try clay. I think I can do that. I just read a blog post from someone who mud rinses regularly. She shampoos, uses her clay mix, rinses then deep conditions or uses a rinse out conditioner and just applies her leave in. How often do you use clay? @AbsyBlvd same question for you.

@KammyGirl Right now I tend to cleanse with clay once or twice a week, with (a thick milkshake consistency) mix of rhassoul and bentonite and silk amino acids. I've used it every day or every other day but have found a good balance now.

I don't shampoo often. Due to me mainly only using oil and gel and no cones, I don't think it's necessary with the use of clay. I posted my fairly simple regimen in that haircare minimalists thread that popped up recently.

I condition (diluted) or water rinse or rarely shampoo (diluted). Then I will apply my clay and thoroughly finger detangle. Rinse, oil, and apply my gel like a virgin relaxer. My hair stays moisturised and defined for days and I do nothing but rub in some jojoba oil once it dries. I don't like to go more than four days without wetting/ detangling again but I have gone 7 without realising it.

@faithVA you know what, I haven't clarified in a minute. I should probably do that. I've been in that MHM thread and it's overwhelming. I think I may be making this harder than it has to be. But I did say (was it in this thread?) that I wanted to try clay. I think I can do that. I just read a blog post from someone who mud rinses regularly. She shampoos, uses her clay mix, rinses then deep conditions or uses a rinse out conditioner and just applies her leave in. How often do you use clay? @AbsyBlvd same question for you.
I use clay every 2 weeks before I color. I shampoo once every 4 to 6 weeks. I cowash or water rinse every 3 to 4 days.

Keep the clay simple. Try one of these combos
1. Clay + styler
2. Conditioner + clay + styler
Or
3. Clay + conditioner + styler

Use leave in you want.

I can see no reason to use shampoo and clay.

Thanks ladies!! @faithVA I was thinking of doing #2 or #3. Have to decide whether I want to use the conditioner before or after the clay. What about deep conditioning? I like to use heat for my dc's. So could I do:
1. clay + dc (under dryer) + styler
OR
2. rinse out conditioner + clay +dc (under dryer) + styler. Is that too much?

After I decide on this I'm planning on shampooing only 1x a month.

Now lastly, how often can I safely use clay? Can I use it every few days every time I cowash or is that too much? I'm planning on researching just a bit more to find the most moisturizing. I know I'll have to play around with it a little.

Thanks ladies!! @faithVA I was thinking of doing #2 or #3. Have to decide whether I want to use the conditioner before or after the clay. What about deep conditioning? I like to use heat for my dc's. So could I do:
1. clay + dc (under dryer) + styler
OR
2. rinse out conditioner + clay +dc (under dryer) + styler. Is that too much?

After I decide on this I'm planning on shampooing only 1x a month.

Now lastly, how often can I safely use clay? Can I use it every few days every time I cowash or is that too much? I'm planning on researching just a bit more to find the most moisturizing. I know I'll have to play around with it a little.

You definitely have to play around with. I honestly only use 1 product while washing. I'm either using clay or conditioner or a cleansing conditioner or just water. I rarely do 2 steps. The only time I do multiple steps now is if I'm coloring or if I'm doing a protein treatment. I do a carmeltini or clct followed by a mudwash once a month.

Just know why you are doing the step then you will know if and when you need to do it.

So I'm making my way through that MHM thread and I'm mad at myself that it took me so long to actually read it. Because it clears up A LOT. I couldn't figure out the clarifying and Cherry Lola Treatment parts and where they belonged in the regimen. I was also wondering about deep conditioning. After reading the full regimen I see that's basically what step 2 is since I would probably sit under a dryer instead of overnight.

Everything seems much easier now and there are great tips in there. I'm wondering if I can just do an ACV rinse as my clarify to start though or do I absolutely have to do the Cherry Lola that first time. It sounds like a hassle and I'm incredibly lazy.

@KammyGirl You don't have to do the Cherry Lola to start. I did my first one a good few weeks into my regimen.

I've since replaced that step with a commercial protein conditioner as I get better results this way.

I've started my vitamin regimen and it's not as bad as I thought. First thing in the morning (or right after dinner if I'm rushing in the am) I pour a glass of orange juice and put in a scoop of my super greens powder and drink that down with:

1. Nature's Bounty hair skin and nails vit
2. Alive once daily women's multi vitamin
3.N-Acetyl Cysteine
4. Vitamin D &
5. Omega 3

I've only been doing this for a week so I hope I can keep it up and make it a regular habit.

I'm not sure when I washed my hair last. I'm pretty sure I missed my mid week wash last week and I didn't wash over the weekend. I definitely got back on track tonight. I kept it simple though. I cowashed with TVO and used the Max Curl leave-in. This product works well on my hair. I let it air dry for 2 hours while I talked on the phone and I was still able to part it and put it in flat twist.

I used watered down JC Curling Crème. I think I will just stay in flat twist until I use up all of this curling crème. Then I'm going to see if my hair is ready for two strand twist. If it is, I will switch over to washing my hair once a week and doing 2 strand twist on the weekend.

This upcoming weekend, I need to do a full regimen including protein, carmeltini and color.

Hey yall! I've been quiet but I'm still here. I've been wigging it so my regimen is so easy. Shampoo and condition in shower. Moisturize, seal and blow dry. Put in cornrows and throw on a wig. I usually keep them in for 4 weeks. I just put in a new set so I wont be looking at my hair again until around March 20th...so my update pics will be around that mark. At that point, I think I'm going to install some crochet kinky twists. I saw this video on youtube and this lady made it look so nice and easy. I'm gonna experiment on my daughter first this weekend and then its my turn. Until March...

Today is wash day and I'm not looking forward to it. Todays regimen has a lot of steps and quite a few extended steps.

I will start with a wash
Then do a protein treatment with aphogee 2 step
Do a carmeltini for 2 hours
Do a mudwash to get my hair ready for color
Apply the color and let sit for 45 minutes
Rinse, apply leave, styler
I think it's going back into flat twist after all of that

I'm not sure I will get all of that done tonight. Tomorrow's busy so I have to try.

Today is wash day and I'm not looking forward to it. Todays regimen has a lot of steps and quite a few extended steps.

I will start with a wash
Then do a protein treatment with aphogee 2 step
Do a carmeltini for 2 hours
Do a mudwash to get my hair ready for color
Apply the color and let sit for 45 minutes
Rinse, apply leave, styler
I think it's going back into flat twist after all of that

I'm not sure I will get all of that done tonight. Tomorrow's busy so I have to try.
Sounds like you've got tour work cut out for you. Good luck. I hope you get it all done.

I was off today. So I went to get my hair straightened to get a trim. I'm pissed because she said I didn't need one. That's great but I wouldn't have gone to the salon or straightened at all. Ugh!

Sounds like you've got tour work cut out for you. Good luck. I hope you get it all done.

I was off today. So I went to get my hair straightened to get a trim. I'm pissed because she said I didn't need one. That's great but I wouldn't have gone to the salon or straightened at all. Ugh!
Rejoice that you didn't need one. :yep:

I'm not going to get it all done. I started late, the phone rang, then I worked out. Right now I have the protein in and sitting under the dryer. I will probably put the carmeltini in and rinse it out and go to bed. I will have to do the color in the morning. :ohwell:

My clay came on Thursday but the mailman didn't leave it in the mailbox. And I wasn't able to get it yesterday so now I'll have to wait all the way until Saturday to get it because they are closes by the time I get home from work. That's fine since I'm going to wear my straight hair for the rest of the week. I don't plan on touching it at all.

Are you still transitioning? Your hair will probably start acting up as it gets closer to SL. Have you trimmed recently? What have you been doing?
I haven't been doing anything really. Just keeping my hair braided under a wig. I think terminal length is real.maybe this is the furthest my hair will grow...smh

@jennifer30 how often are you moisturizing, how often are you redoing the braids? I don't want you to be discouraged. I never believed in terminal length although I know some people are sure we all have one.

@jennifer30 how often are you moisturizing, how often are you redoing the braids? I don't want you to be discouraged. I never believed in terminal length although I know some people are sure we all have one.
I redo them ever week..sometimes I moisturize and sometimes I use hair grease. I'm gonna give my hair another 8 months. If it's still the same length I'm sure it's terminal..lol I've been trying to grow it for 3 years..

I redo them ever week..sometimes I moisturize and sometimes I use hair grease. I'm gonna give my hair another 8 months. If it's still the same length I'm sure it's terminal..lol I've been trying to grow it for 3 years..

OK just keep taking good care of it. I've been natural just as long and just got serious this year about making it to SL. It didn't help that I keep nearly big chopping each time because I go so long without a trim. So I'm right there with ya.

Been having issues with my entire crown area. And I do not want to make SL only to have see through hair because the front and the back of my hair is missing. So back to massaging and moisturizing. I'll probably go back to doing it twice a day even like when I first started my hair journey even though I hated doing that.

Been having issues with my entire crown area. And I do not want to make SL only to have see through hair because the front and the back of my hair is missing. So back to massaging and moisturizing. I'll probably go back to doing it twice a day even like when I first started my hair journey even though I hated doing that.
How often are you completing soaking your scalp with water? I found that helped more than anything.

How often are you completing soaking your scalp with water? I found that helped more than anything.
Not often. Most times it's 1x week. I never do more than 2x a week these days. In the summer time I wet my hair daily and my wash n gos looked better because I wasn't straightening as much. How often do you do it? My hair takes a long time to dry and I worry about how to wear my hair.

Not often. Most times it's 1x week. I never do more than 2x a week these days. In the summer time I wet my hair daily and my wash n gos looked better because I wasn't straightening as much. How often do you do it? My hair takes a long time to dry and I worry about how to wear my hair.

1x to 2x a week is sufficient. Doesn't sound like it's dehydrating from the outside. I will try to pay more attention to your post to see if I can spot anything you can add or change.

@faithVA I think it's my headbands. I'm always tying something around my head. I usually wear a cut stocking but I wear it too much. It's messing with the entire perimeter of my head. I'm determined to get it back to normal but now I'm sure I'll have to maintain at a certain length until the rest catches up.

@faithVA I think it's my headbands. I'm always tying something around my head. I usually wear a cut stocking but I wear it too much. It's messing with the entire perimeter of my head. I'm determined to get it back to normal but now I'm sure I'll have to maintain at a certain length until the rest catches up.
Oh Ok. Well as long as you know what it is. You will figure out how to make it work.

I am going to an event tomorrow night but as usual I don't feel like doing my hair. So I'm going to rinse my hair in flat twist. Then I will take out the twist on the sides and in the front and out them on perm rods. And I will just retwist the back.

A compromise is needed in this situation. :yep:

Back