Self-relaxing methods

ashiah

Well, I'm coming to the end of my stretch and now I'm prepping myself for a relaxer (my first "self" relaxer I might add).

I was searching the forums trying to find the best tips for self-relaxing and some of the posters kept refurring to baglady's "banding" method. Can someone go a bit more in-depth and elaborate? It sounds like something I want to try.

Hi ashiah! Welcome to the forum!

What I do is make all of my parts prior to applying the relaxer and just use rubberbands/ponytail holders to secure the sections. I remove each band before I apply relaxer for that section. I used to remove the bands after I applied all the relaxer, but I found that sometimes a section may have been to big and I missed a spot.

Also, be sure to protect your previously relaxed hair with cholesterol or something. As you slide the bands off, you may have some relaxer on your gloves that might touch the rest of your hair.

I do it this way because my new growth is usually thick and crazy and the most time consuming portion of my relaxing experience is the parting. This has cut down my application time tremendously, so now I have more time for smoothing. Good luck!

I also bumped a thread for you called Relaxing in Sections.

Last edited:
baglady215 said:

What I do is make all of my parts prior to applying the relaxer and just use rubberbands/ponytail holders to secure the sections. I remove each band before I apply relaxer for that section. I used to remove the bands after I applied all the relaxer, but I found that sometimes a section may have been to big and I missed a spot.

Also, be sure to protect your previously relaxed hair with cholesterol or something. As you slide the bands off, you may have some relaxer on your gloves that might touch the rest of your hair.

I do it this way because my new growth is usually thick and crazy and the most time consuming portion of my relaxing experience is the parting. This has cut down my application time tremendously, so now I have more time for smoothing. Good luck!

How big are your sections? And do you use a appicator bottle,brush or fingers?:D

I use my fingers. They work best for me. Applicator bottle is a great idea though.

The sections are small, no bigger than 1" wide. I start by parting my hair in four sections as usual, then breaking each section down into smaller ones. So I may have 8 or so sections in each quadrant. As I relax, I can easily finger part the mini-section to get relaxer throughout.

This is a great idea, I think that I am going to do this when I self relax on wednesday.

baglady215 said:

Thank you baglady215! Okay, I'll definitely try this. I have about two inches of new growth and parting the hair (especially on my left side, which is the thicker side) has been a burden.

Do you still relax in sections or does banding help you do the whole head in under 15 minutes?

You're welcome ladies.

I can usually apply all of the relaxer in 10-15 minutes. Then I go back through and smooth. Good luck!

Back