WL Wondering

I'm WL, and I

• Must perm/relax/keratin treatment to see it

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LovinLocks

You're WL, but is it WL without stretching, sans relaxer, Keratin treatments, etc.? I actually made it to WL (when I wasn't looking, LOL) in '09 . . . but I had to stretch, flat iron like a mug to know it. Matter of fact since I wear my hair w-n-g most of the time I didn't even realize I had hit my goal.

What I want is WL WITHOUT stretching :yep:.

I think you are talking about the difference in claiming WL and full WL.

I can be WL while stretching my hair, but full WL is just letting it hang IMO, no pulling required.

Uhm some people have 65-90% shrinkage. They'd have to wait till their hair is to their feet to declare waist length. I think waist length is fine stretched. It's a feat in and of itself lol without getting too technical. That said I do think it shouldn't have to be flat ironed within an inch of it's life...you can wait a few months lol! That's what I decided to do in JAn instead of pulling it super hard just to say I'm waist length and flatironing for dear life. In fact it's lightly straightened in my siggy on low heat.

I can be WL while stretching my hair, but full WL is just letting it hang IMO, no pulling required.

I thought the difference between a length and a full length was the quantity of hair at that milestone. The majority of my hair is between top of my shoulder to below my collarbone. So in my head I've been claiming full SL. (yes, I shouldn't be commenting because WL is a dream away...) But if I'm not stretched it is neck length. What does that make me?

^^You go by what you want to go by. Most, if not all, people stretch to show their length even those who are naturals like me either pull or flat iron to show the next milestone.

If you stretch and you're sl you claim it if it's fully on your shoulders and all hairs are touching (and just past it) you're full.

Welllllll, now. How can I say someone's hair is not WL simply because it's pulled, KWIM? Here's the thing, k, if the hair is pulled and it reaches, we'll say the waist . . . how can I deny that it has indeed reached the waist simply because it was stretched? I dunno, just don't think I would be in a position to say, your hair didn't touch the waist (when it clearly did :rolleyes:).

(yes, I shouldn't be commenting because WL is a dream away...)

Oh no, honey, you must not cyberly know me. I don't play that exclusion, you can't come in and play stuff. :nono:, you got sumthin' to say, then you are welcome, dahlin'. Matter of fact, "the more the merrier."

LL

I feel that since most people have some degree of shrinkage, it counts as a milestone when the stretched hair is that length! Afterall, they tend to straighten hair to cut or trim it, to see where it falls!
Also, even white folk claim their straightened length and they tend to not have as much shrinkage even when curly!

There is no way I would want unstretched WL hair. When your hair is natural and shrinks to half and sometimes a third of its size you'd have to have ridiculous amounts of hair to win that arbitrary WL goal.

I have 75% shrinkage, at that rate if my hair touched my feet, I would still never reach WL. It would only be APL or BSL. I say WL is when the hair can touch the waist even if you have to stretch it. If my hair could touch my waist unstretched then it is some other length and not WL.

I do not feel like I am a fraud when I claim my stretched hair length versus the length it is ordinarily under shrinkage conditions because it is not as if I am faking the length it's there but hidden.

WOW, WSL would be awesome, but I can only think of the amount of detangling I'd have to do. I don't know if I could do that with natural hair right now.:nono:

WOW, WSL would be awesome, but I can only think of the amount of detangling I'd have to do. I don't know if I could do that with natural hair right now.:nono:

It's really no big deal DD, trust me. The key is to keep that grass in a stretched state whether you straighten it or dry it in a braid/twist out. Never let it shrinky dink or you'll more than likely have detangling issues from hell.

I consider my true length my unstretched length, but that's because I have very big loose 3a/b curls with little shrinkage.

If you stretch it and it hits WL then it is WL.

If you straighten it and it hits WL, it is WL.

If you blow it dry and hits WL, it is WL.

If you wear it in twists or braids and the hair hits BSL and WL isn't immediately apparent until you stretch them, it is WL.

If you have to stretch your neck backwards til the back of your head hits your shoulders it is not WL.

:grin:

I don't know about ya'll, but my type 4 hair will never hang at WL in an unmanipulated state. NEVER. It just doesn't grow that way. The only way for me to ever know how much length I've gained is to pull a piece of my hair down. *shrug*

Last edited:
I consider my true length my unstretched length, but that's because I have very big loose 3a/b curls with little shrinkage.

Really lelah? Daaaag, that is cool beans. I have 3b/3c ova this head and honey, sing to the tune of TLC's Freak . . .

"so I stretch, yeeeaahhhh, I'm just stretchin' on the down low . . . " :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I don't know about ya'll, but my type 4 hair will never hang at WL in an unmanipulated state. NEVER. It just doesn't grow that way. The only way for me to ever know how much length I've gained is to pull a piece of my hair down. *shrug*

Bride, girllll,

Your growth is phenomenal (looking at your pic siggie). Work it, woman!!!!!! Thanks for chiming in and sharing.

Back