Rollerset Support Thread

If you can afford the $20, macheriamour's DVD is well worth it. :yep: She really takes you step by step, I mean from washing in the shower, to the sawran wrap treatment. She shows you when she rolls down and up, she shows you how to place the clips on the roller so they stay tight, and her rollering method will keep your hair straight. She goes over the effect of product usage on the set, etc. She starts with the parting and rollersets her entire head for you to watch, no skipping ahead in the video. So, if you can afford it, it is a wonderful guide on how to get gorgeous results airdryed or not. I sound like an infomercial, lol.

Yep, what she said. Really loved that DVD.

WHat are you ladies putting in you spray bottle as setting lotion? Macherie uses just water but I somehow fell like I'm washing out my leave-in and serum if I use just water to spray while rollersetting.

I've been rollersetting once a week and am totally loving it.

WHat are you ladies putting in you spray bottle as setting lotion? Macherie uses just water but I somehow fell like I'm washing out my leave-in and serum if I use just water to spray while rollersetting.

I've been rollersetting once a week and am totally loving it.

I have a mix of 2 oz of lottabody setting lotion, a capful of SAA (silk amino acid) some CHI silk infusion, an ounce of lacio-lacio, 1/2 ounce of coconut oil and 12 oz of distilled water.

I use just a bit of leave in mixed with water. The last time I used plain water and I liked it a lot.:yep:

I have a mix of 2 oz of lottabody setting lotion, a capful of SAA (silk amino acid) some CHI silk infusion, an ounce of lacio-lacio, 1/2 ounce of coconut oil and 12 oz of distilled water.

I use just a bit of leave in mixed with water. The last time I used plain water and I liked it a lot.:yep:

Thanks Ladies. I've been using water and some leave-in. I just received my Lacio-Lacio and CHI silk so I'll be using those with water for my next rollerset - which will be tomorrow.

I just HAD to post in this thread... I love, LOVE, LOVE rollersetting!! (As you probably can tell by my siggy. :lol: ) I'm a faithful rollersetter, every single week... :grin:

Are you relaxed or natural? I love what I am seeing but want to make sure I won't compare bananas to apples (I'm natural) when I attempt this. :blush:

I agree with this. I am just mad that I didn't get it sooner.
Also, it's now on Amazon.com. You can download it right to your computer and watch it right then and there. I love it. I can refer back to it any time I want.

Aww snaps. I must not have searched correctly for I went there first with no results. Oh well, I just ordered it from a website for about $22 and will just have to wait until it is delivered. Until then, to the tune of Kick Push, I co-wash/bun; co-wash/bun .... growwww!

? before I log off

I am wondering about roller setting and co-washing. You see, I've been co-washing daily. I am thinking I would have to scale back to maybe cowashing 2-3 times a week otherwise I'd be rollersetting daily . . . es correcto???

Re: ? before I log off

I am wondering about roller setting and co-washing. You see, I've been co-washing daily. I am thinking I would have to scale back to maybe cowashing 2-3 times a week otherwise I'd be rollersetting daily . . . es correcto???

I cowash twice a week and rollerset twice a week. When I was daily co-washing, I would airdry...but my hair does not airdry straight enough for me so I went back to rollersetting.

Fan of Roller Sets

Yesterday I did the best rollerset I've ever done before!

I used Kenra Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner. Then I sprayed a mixture of water, jojoba oil and serum for my roller set on the magnetic rollers. My hair is so light and bouncy today. I put a macherieamour *dab* of ORS Olive Oil in my hair today and was on my way!

Okay I have the DVD, but I canNOT figure out how to work the dang-on metal clips!!! :wallbash:

I do okay sometimes, but it's just luck of the draw, I don't actually know what I'm doing. :lol:

I can't figure out how to get them to stay so the rollers don't wobble. And I always feel like I'm ripping my hair when I'm using them. I've been thinking of trying mesh to see if I can do a better job, but I have all these dang-on rollers and metal clips every where... :rolleyes: :lol:

Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated. :)

Cosigning - This video is really one of the best investments I've made for my hair (as well as my coconut oil). Now I don't feel so dependent on my stylist for a nice rollerset. I was one of those girls who was NEVER able to do my own rollersets. However, after reviewing this video I was able to successfully do my own hair on the first try.

I agree with this. I am just mad that I didn't get it sooner.
Also, it's now on Amazon.com. You can download it right to your computer and watch it right then and there. I love it. I can refer back to it any time I want.

Okay I have the DVD, but I canNOT figure out how to work the dang-on metal clips!!! :wallbash:

I do okay sometimes, but it's just luck of the draw, I don't actually know what I'm doing. :lol:

I can't figure out how to get them to stay so the rollers don't wobble. And I always feel like I'm ripping my hair when I'm using them. I've been thinking of trying mesh to see if I can do a better job, but I have all these dang-on rollers and metal clips every where... :rolleyes: :lol:

:bump: :bump: :bump:

What helped me with my clips was just practice basically. As I get better at my rollersets, I get better at really making the roller tight, so then the clip stays tight. If you roll too loosely, then the clips won't stay. Occassionally I'll use two clips, but if I roll tight enough, then I'll just need 1.

What helped me with my clips was just practice basically. As I get better at my rollersets, I get better at really making the roller tight, so then the clip stays tight. If you roll too loosely, then the clips won't stay. Occassionally I'll use two clips, but if I roll tight enough, then I'll just need 1.

But what keeps them in...like everytime I try with the clips they start out tight then slide loose. What am I doing wrong? I use the mesh rollers/pins now b/c it was messing with me but I still want the option of doing either.

But what keeps them in...like everytime I try with the clips they start out tight then slide loose. What am I doing wrong? I use the mesh rollers/pins now b/c it was messing with me but I still want the option of doing either.

If I roll tight, and put the clip in the right place, then it won't get loose. But I also have to pay attention how I roll the next section; if I screw around with the roller that's already been placed then it will be loose. You have to roll it tight, put the clip in the right spot, and then leave it alone.

Only thing I can suggest is practice.

I am starting to love rollersetting myself. I just started rollersetting once a week in July and I am getting better and better each time.

This has been the only thing that has been keeping my hair looking decent and feeling healther and more manageable(sp) being that it is overprocessed. (I just recently had a somewhat major chop and my very nice beautician did not want to chop ALL of the damage parts off. So I will just keep trimming gradually everytime I get a touch up)

Right now I spray my hair with a mixture of Rosewater and glycerin. I get nice shine, softness and my hair smells like fresh roses too! :yep:

I use megnatic(sp) rollers and the metal pins with the little pockets. I also roll upwards instead of under. I got this idea from Lorraine Tips. You can find her rollersetting tips and more here: ttp://www.youtube.com/user/LorraineTips

This way I am able to get it tighter and have more room for my other rollers. Also when I am done, I use flexi rods to keep my curls in. They are very easy to sleep on. Oh, I also learned how to blow out my roots from her too! But I only do my front edges and top of my bang. I do not do the middle where you can' t see it anyway. After I am done, I spray my whole head with another mixture of aloe vera and water to really rewet my hair before going under my pibbs.

Question for the ladies that have a LOT of newgrowth. How are you able to rollerset and not have a lot of breakage when you take your rollers out? Right now I am 5 weeks post. I am not having difficulty yet but I could imagine what it would be like in the next 3 weeks or so.:perplexed

I am starting to love rollersetting myself. I just started rollersetting once a week in July and I am getting better and better each time.

This has been the only thing that has been keeping my hair looking decent and feeling healther and more manageable(sp) being that it is overprocessed. (I just recently had a somewhat major chop and my very nice beautician did not want to chop ALL of the damage parts off. So I will just keep trimming gradually everytime I get a touch up)

Right now I spray my hair with a mixture of Rosewater and glycerin. I get nice shine, softness and my hair smells like fresh roses too! :yep:

I use megnatic(sp) rollers and the metal pins with the little pockets. I also roll upwards instead of under. I got this idea from Lorraine Tips. You can find her rollersetting tips and more here: ttp://www.youtube.com/user/LorraineTips

This way I am able to get it tighter and have more room for my other rollers. Also when I am done, I use flexi rods to keep my curls in. They are very easy to sleep on. Oh, I also learned how to blow out my roots from her too! But I only do my front edges and top of my bang. I do not do the middle where you can' t see it anyway. After I am done, I spray my whole head with another mixture of aloe vera and water to really rewet my hair before going under my pibbs.

Question for the ladies that have a LOT of newgrowth. How are you able to rollerset and not have a lot of breakage when you take your rollers out? Right now I am 5 weeks post. I am not having difficulty yet but I could imagine what it would be like in the next 3 weeks or so.:perplexed

As far a newgrowth is concerned, I just make sure to really condition my newgrowth when I deep condition my hair. That way, when it's time to roll, it's not hard or difficult to comb through. It makes it a lot easier.

Great thread...I've tried rollersetting 2x with great results, but I just felt like it was a lot of maniuplation on my hair, that it was breaking too much so I stopped, and time consuming since I'm not that skilled, but I think I'm going to pick it up again.

MissBrown I love the idea of using snap-ons at night to maintain the curl longer, that's a such a good idea. I think I'll step up my curlformers game too!!!

Check this out: ttp://www.youtube.com/user/LorraineTips

with the metal clips, I clip two rollers together so they don't jiggle. After I part the Mohawk, I part the hair for the first and second roller. I roll the second roller position, then the first- and clip the two rollers together. If they are really close together, there's no room for wigglin:spinning:

Thank you ladies for the responses re: the metal clips! :D I'm gonna keep practicing, review the videos again and practice on dry hair. :yep:

I really wanna get the hang of this!

Re: ? before I log off

I cowash twice a week and rollerset twice a week. When I was daily co-washing, I would airdry...but my hair does not airdry straight enough for me so I went back to rollersetting.

Thanks Charm. I should try this Saturday.

Back