Rinsing hair debate!

kking7777

Hi ladies,

O.k this is the third debate I had with my mom because everytime she talks to me I am telling her that I am getting ready to rinse my hair and oil it for the day. I rinse my hair everyday and then pin it up. Unless I wear it down. I shampoo once or maybe twice a week. Now my mom keeps saying " It's a wonder all my hair has not fallen out" because I do this. Ladies what have we discovered on this board... WATER IS MOISTURE! Can we please help these oldies but goodies figure that out. By the way she is always telling me how much my hair is growing and if I can help her with hers. Do you guys get this drama about rinsing your hair daily as well?
frown.gif

Yup! I get it from my mom too. She'll tell me that my hair is really growing, but then she'll turn around and say "you're rotting all of your hair with all that water." I've tried to explain the concept of water=moisture, but it's hard for her to change what has been in-grained in her head for 64 years.
tongue.gif
Oh well...
laugh.gif
crazy.gif

Yeah but it is really sad too because my mom has coarse hair, therefore more fragile and prone to breakage and she really would like to have healthy longer hair. However, she will not change her thinking, she even made a snide remark and said well as much rinsing as I do I should have hair to my butt. I told her nicely " I will one day"
lick.gif

My mom is really happy to see my hair growing, but she just can't make the connection between water and hair growth. She really believes that too much water is bad. What can you do...
tongue.gif

I am happy to say, my mom has made the connection. I am helping my mom grow her hair. I bought her a cute spray bottle like mine.

<font color="orange">Oh yeah, this is exactly why I don't talk to anyone about the things I do and don't do to my hair. I find that people who complement my hair and ask for my "secrets" don't tend to ask with an open mind and aren't really willing to do what I suggest.

When I do tell folks that I wash twice each week and rinse daily, they look horrified like I have two heads and three breasts. Or, they get furious like I shouldn't possibly ever think of washing my hair more than once every two weeks...

</font>

I must say that this is the longest I have gone without heat and just rinsing daily but man I see so much growth from this in just the 3 weeks that I have started. I can't wait to straighten it and see the real length!

My Mum used to say things when I stayed with her in St.Lucia for vacation. Every few days I'd wash my hair and she'd say: 'washing your hair AGAIN. You won't have any hair left. You shouldn't keep messing with your hair like that.' I rolled my eyes and went ahead, taking a shower and deep conditioning.

It the way my Mum's generation and the one before her's was brought up so I don't argue with her. I just try and make suggestions to help her instead which she seems to be doing eg. wrapping hair in silk scarf, deep conditioning and insisting on a deep condition when she goes for touch ups and using the conditioners I gave her.

At least that way, they see through their own hair looking nice, that 'hey, my daughter may have a point..' Plus if they notice your own hair growing too. Proof in the pudding thing I think rather than trying to explain.

I'm with Smooches! I am not planning on telling my Mom or Sis about my more frequent washing/rinsing b/c I don't want to hear all the negative comments. Fortunately, I'm married (to a very supportive man) and Mom doesn't see how often it gets done. She will just tell me that I don't have long growing hair.
naughty.gif

[ QUOTE ]
I told her nicely " I will one day"
lick.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

lol dont worry bout it kkking coz wen yo hair reaches yo butt then she's goin to be the one askin u to help her wit her rinsing and washin every few days as well
smile.gif

Everyone who knows that I wash my hair twice weekly already thinks that I am crazy. They REALLY will not understand why I rinse daily.

Everything that everyone has said is sooo true!

Everyone in my family( well, except for my mom and granny now) thinks that I am "Losing my mind", "Trying to forget my roots and act white" and "Showing off"

The worst comment I have heard is "Well when all of your hair falls out, I wont feel sorry for your simple behind"

Gee....Thanks for the family love!

My hair dresser asked me how often I washed my hair and I told her twice a week with one being a cond. wash and she looked at me like I was crazy and said "Now why would you go and do that for? every 2 weeks at the most girl you strippin your hair of oils!" my mom gives me these sad head shakes when I talk about my daily water spritzing. I mostly get perplexed "huh? why?" looks. yet, they all go "wow! you hair is growing! It's so long!"

[ QUOTE ]
Hi ladies,

O.k this is the third debate I had with my mom because everytime she talks to me I am telling her that I am getting ready to rinse my hair and oil it for the day. I rinse my hair everyday and then pin it up. Unless I wear it down. I shampoo once or maybe twice a week. Now my mom keeps saying " It's a wonder all my hair has not fallen out" because I do this. Ladies what have we discovered on this board... WATER IS MOISTURE! Can we please help these oldies but goodies figure that out. By the way she is always telling me how much my hair is growing and if I can help her with hers. Do you guys get this drama about rinsing your hair daily as well?
frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Tell your Mom...from one old head to another....it works!
I don't know how old your Mom is ...(I'm 40 something)...but it definitley works....
grin.gif

I just recently turned my sister on to daily rinsing her hair. She used to go about 2 to 2-1/2 weeks before she would wash her hair. She works out about 4 times a week, but would wonder why her scalp was so dry... I told her that I was told that it's best to rinse your hair after working out because of the sweat... She finally started listening to me..
smile.gif
Well, my sister lives w/ my mom, and my mom is having a fit w/ her rinsing her hair daily. My mom told my sister to stop rinsing daily because she doesn't have hair like mines...
shocked.gif
I'm glad my sister isn't listening to her and is still doing her rinses...
drunk.gif
Her hair is really growing and she's not taking any supplements...
smile.gif

I don't know about my mom. She doesn't care I mean as long as I take good care that's it. But there may of been a mishap. But that is okay. So far this washing stuff is strenghtning my hair.

Back