Relaxing short hair at home

morehairplease

would the same application apply for short hair as it does for long hair? I recently got a relaxer last week and my hair is extremely short. The lady that put the relaxer in just slapped it over my natural hair and charged me $110 b/c it was a virgin relaxer or something like that. Well let's just say that I am not about to pay that price every time I go to the salon. Granted I had not been to a salon in two years but I honestly did not know that relaxers had went up that much in price. I would like to start during them at home and any advice/suggestions you ladies can give me would be great!

thanks in advance

Last edited:
$110 just to get a relaxer is ridiculous she jipped you!

Before you start applying your own relaxers deceide whether or not you want a lye or a no lye relaxer. Read the directions carefully and base your scalp either with vaseline, oil or whatever your prefer to protect your scalp before applying the relaxer. Always use a neutralizing shampoo after you've rinsed the relaxer out and follow up by using a moisturizing conditioner. HtH~

Yeah they charge more virgin relaxers because they apply and smooth root to tip. But because your hair is short, she should have taken that into consideration. $110 is way too much.

You apply same way to roots only. Because your hair is extremely short, you might want to have someone you trust help, so that you don't overlap

tishee said:
would the same application apply for short hair as it does for long hair? I recently got a relaxer last week and my hair is extremely short. The lady that put the relaxer in just slapped it over my natural hair and charged me $110 b/c it was a virgin relaxer or something like that. Well let's just say that I am not about to pay that price everytime I go to the salon. Granted I hadn't been to a slaon in two years but I honestly did not know that relaxer had went up that much in price. I would like to start during them at home and any advice/suggestions you ladies can give me would be great!

thanks in advance

That is insane! I can't beieve you let someone charge u that much for a relaxer! :mad: :look: :perplexed .........Hey, can I do your touch-up? ;) :lol: Seriously, I hope they did a good job on your hair.You sure enough paid for it! :eek: That is why I finally learned how to do my own relaxers. I just pay for the kit and get to getting. The one thing I didn't know about was stretching my relaxers. U should read up on it and self relaxing tips before doing your own.

Natrlchallenge said:
That is insane! I can't beieve you let someone charge u that much for a relaxer! :mad: :look: :perplexed .........Hey, can I do your touch-up? ;) :lol: Seriously, I hope they did a good job on your hair.You sure enough paid for it! :eek: That is why I finally learned how to do my own relaxers. I just pay for the kit and get to getting. The one thing I didn't know about was stretching my relaxers. U should read up on it and self relaxing tips before doing your own.

hi natrlchallenge,

there wasn't a price list posted and the chemicals were already applied to the back of my hair so it wasn't like I could say no thanks and just leave. From my understanding, in this area the price for virgin relaxers can range anywhere from $75 to 125(depending on what salon you go to). It just so happens that I choose the one that charged me $110....you live and you learn.

Last edited:
Sweet_Ambrosia said:
$110 just to get a relaxer is ridiculous she jipped you!

Before you start applying your own relaxers deceide whether or not you want a lye or a no lye relaxer. Read the directions carefully and base your scalp either with vaseline, oil or whatever your prefer to protect your scalp before applying the relaxer. Always use a neutralizing shampoo after you've rinsed the relaxer out and follow up by using a moisturizing conditioner. HtH~

thanks sweet ambrosia!

karezone said:
Yeah they charge more virgin relaxers because they apply and smooth root to tip. But because your hair is short, she should have taken that into consideration. $110 is way too much.

You apply same way to roots only. Because your hair is extremely short, you might want to have someone you trust help, so that you don't overlap

thanks karezone! will see if I can get a friend to help me apply the relaxer! thanks so much for you reply!

Natrlchallenge said:
haha... u are funny.

Back