Relaxed Ladies Who Work Out --please help!!!

Relaxed Ladies Who Don't Bun Daily But Work Out:

What are you doing to your hair to make it look cute or at least decent (no bun!)? Im getting sick of pulling my hair back into a "bun"(as much as my NL/SL hair will allow for a bun), and I know somebody must have some tricks. So...how do you wear your hair when exercising? How many times do you wash/co-wash/rinse? Most importantly, how do you wear your hair when you are not exercising -- at work, school, etc...

help! :ohwell:

CHECKMATE!

Ok...I workout 2-3 times a week straight...I wash every day that I work out,airdry in a loose clip (pinned up)...When i wash DC flatiron/rollerset...I don't do to the gym on these days :yep:

**WonderWoman**

Not sure how helpful i'll be but here goes:

(1) Tie a silk scarf around my edges and hold my hair in a loose pony tail. I take off the silk scarf after my shower. That keeps the front of my hair from poofing up. I kinda like the way my hair looks after I work out - really thick bc the sweat lifted my roots. I don't do much else to my hair. If I feel it getting dry, i'll use a light moisturizer. Other than that, I make sure I wash and DC my hair every week - FAITHFULLY!

(2) Wear a weave. This is really convenient because you don't have to worry about how your hair looks afterward and you have the added benefit of increased hair growth from working out, little to no manipulation, constant hotness! If you have FINE hair like me, make sure whoever puts in your weave doesn't make it tight and doesn't tug on your hair when sewing in.

(3) Dry Shampoos - Ojon and Frederick Fekkai have this product that lifts dirt and oil from your hair without water. I rarely use this and when I do trust only Ojon's Rub-out Dry Cleanser. Ojon is an all-natural line. I apply a moisturizer after using this. Again, I rarely use this, but wanted to give you an extra option.

I'm sure more people will be along to help you. This is an ongoing problem for us at LHCF. We're still trying to crack-down on the solution. Good luck!

kami11213

This is a problem I'm having also... Lately I've been pulling my hair up in a high ponytail and tying a scarf around my edges, after I shower I take the pony down put a little NTM in it and let it air dry. After it's dry I'll wrap it or cross wrap and put my scarf on, but I work out at home...HTH

SouthernStunner

My 13yr old Men
I am in braids now and I hit the gym 5-6 days a week. When I am not in braids I wear wigs and they have not come off when I am running. Under the wig I am dcing or prepooing. I like to multi-task cause I got twin 5yr old boys that act like my daddy, gotta know where I am every 5 sec. :perplexed Ohhh I am sorry off topic. Ummm yeah wigs or braids cause I am doing a 65 wk stretch and only on week 23.

HTH

unalteredone

i find that pigtails can retain a straight style better than buns. What i did yesterday is i split my hair as if doing pigtails, and i kind of pincurled them inward and secured them with bobby pins to make 2 really flat bun-like things. I clipped my bangs away from my forehead and my hair still looked good after i showered. Use no dent goody ponytail holders so that you dont get the ponytail crimp, or use a claw clip to hold the hair up without manipulating it too much/messing up your style. HTH

MummysGirl

I work out Mon - Fri mornings and honestly my hair's really simple (no intersting hairdos) during the week, I either

1. Put my hair up in a high ponytail, and use a headband on my edges... then moisturise and pin up for the day
OR
2. Cornrows for my braidouts the night before, workout with them still in and moisturise, then shower before taking down the braids. Once I am more than 6 weeks post, I can't really wear my hair straight after I work out.

simplyhair

I workout six days a week. I pin or high ponytail my loose hair up and away from my neck and back.

On my sweat days (possibly 3 times a week), I cowash my hair. On one of those days, I will probably use an actual shampoo and DC.

I use a good detangling leave in and use a comb to detangle. My hair is usually detangled already from the DC in the shower.

I comb my hair back with a part in the middle. I use three combs to "straighten" and "smooth" my hair: large, medium and fine tooth tail comb (not too fine though) similar to what Sylver uses. I gently use these combs to smooth my hair. Once my hair is nice and smooth, I usually do two twisted pigtails and airdry. Or, make two straight ponytails and put bands going down the length and then airdry. I learned "banding" from Pokahontas a few years ago. Here is some info on how to smooth the hair http://www.hotcombs.net/pages/combTips:-3Comb-Smooth.html

I like doing these two options the best because once my hair is dry, I can throw a few bantu knots in my hair and the next day, I have beautiful spiral curls. OR, my hair is straight enough do pin curls. I don't use heat but these are options to get your hair straight and ready to flat iron.

I don't take the time to actually style my hair during the week cuz I'm at home all week (homeschool my kids) and I'm going to sweat it out on alternate days. I use the weekend as my style days.

Oh, I almost forgot...if you want a little bit of curl, instead of doing a ponytail or pigtails, put a few rollers on the ends. Then the hair will set and look like a rollerset. But don't roll the roller up so high cuz you don't want the hair to take forever to dry.

HTH...sorry so long.

Last edited:

Kiki82

I workout 3x's a week. I usually workout on Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays. On sundays I wash my hair and DC. While the DC is in, I do my workout and once finished I rinse my DC out and airdry. On Tuesdays, I just put my hair in a high ponytail. Once I'm finished working out I moisturize and let it air dry. Not to bad because I know that I will be washing my hair on Wednesday. The same goes for my Thursday workout....the only difference is I would co wash on Friday.

In a nutshell, I wash or cowash a day after my workout except for sunday.

Chameleonchick

I'm a bunner but I've noticed the relaxed ladies at my gym either wear a loose ponytail, braids, or weaves. They are making me want to texlax early, I have 3 weeks left for 12.

gabulldawg

I'm relaxed. Just got a perm last week, so I have been wearing my hair straight this part week with no problems. I think it's really easy to manage relaxed hair while working out. That's one of the main reasons why I am relaxed. When I work out I usually do it in the mornings before work. I will keep my hair wrapped from the night before. Then when I get home I do my daily routine (shower, hair, makeup, etc.), and by the time I'm ready to unwrap my hair, it's dry. :yep:

When I'm not wearing my hair straight, I will cowash it regularly during the week. I also wear wigs, bantu knot-outs, twistouts, and sometimes buns, now that my hair is growing. :yep:

HTH!

shtow

I am relaxed and wear my hair bone straight. I work out for an hour at the minimum 5 days a week. When I work out I do one of two things:

1). I will pincurl then night before and after working out sit under the dryer for 5 minutes. When I take the pincurls out, it looks like I never broke a sweat.

2). I will put it in a pony and tuck the ends under, using 2 clips. It kind of looks like a little loop. When I finish working out, ill hit the roots with a blow dryer.

luvn_life

When I workout 3-4 days a week, I just tie my hair down with a silk scarf and loosely bun my hair at the gym with a duckbill clip. Then when I leave the gym, I wait until my hair is dry, that way when I take the scarf off my roots and everything are still straight.

Krymsonkween

I work out 4days a week n usually do a nice head band. Workout get home wrap eat n go to bed. I am lazy I also only wash and d/c 2x per week.

hmmm...maybe there's just something wrong with me. I wear my hair in a med-high "bun" and when I'm done with my workout my hair is faaarrr from straight. I've just to co-wash and airdry and put it back in a bun but i really wanted to find the secret to keeping in straight. So maybe wrapping?

any other suggestions ladies? I really appreciate it.

imaccami

I'm like you lalamaywood, after a workout my hair is a wet and frizzy mess, and no scarf or anything else can make it straight. So I just wash after every workout. That works for me anyway because a shower is so refreshing after a workout and I love that clean from head to toe feeling.

gn1g

I just started working out at the gym, I use to walk. But I wear a bun daily so I co-wash or just run water thru my hair after the workout and smooth it back in a bun, if I want to wear it down the next day it will be straight and the ends will be slightly curly.

simplyhair

hmmm...maybe there's just something wrong with me. I wear my hair in a med-high "bun" and when I'm done with my workout my hair is faaarrr from straight. I've just to co-wash and airdry and put it back in a bun but i really wanted to find the secret to keeping in straight. So maybe wrapping?

any other suggestions ladies? I really appreciate it.

Hum, ok. Is your hair mostly wet in the crown aread? Is there near the area where the bun sits? If so, how about taking the bun down after the workout, gently smooth the hair down with your hands, put a satin scarf on to flatten the hair down, and do a few low bantu knots (like Sylver) or put some rollers on the bottom of the hair that hangs down to give some curl.

My stylist said to put moisturizer on after a workout. I usually wait until my hair is dry, usually closer to bed time, then put on a moisturizer.

I don't know. Hopefully, others will chime in again to help.

longhairlover

even at the so called 'upscale gym i was going to, i would wrap my hair up and put a satin wrap on it, even when i was trying to become a 'dancer' (not stripper) in dance class i would do the same thing and my hair would stay in tact and fresh,

but if i felt like being cute and working out with a ponytail i'd end up with a mess.

maybe consider a dry shampoo.

prospurr4

I exercise at home, in the evenings, and my workout 'do depends on how I'm wearing my hair:

1) If I'm wearing buns, I put my hair in a loose bun, tie my moisturized edges with a silk scarf and do my workout. I don't remove the scarf until the next morning. I redo the bun and go.

2) If I'm wearing a curly style, I pincurl or carefully push my curls upward (*think Slinky toy*) and secure them under a thin net. I tie my moisturized edges with a silk scarf and do my workout. I don't remove the scarf and net until the next morning. I shake out my curls and go.

If I wearing any other style (twistout, straight, etc.), I plan them around my workouts. This plan has worked well, even deep into a texlax stretch, and I wash only once a week.