I'm back with Lye Relaxer update!!

EmeraldSky

I\'m back with Lye Relaxer update!!

<font color="purple"> I haven't been to the board in a few weeks, too busy, but I'm back and I wanted to share my decision on this lye vs. no lye thing. I have been using lye for my last three touchups and each time a few weeks later my roots feel spongy, at 7 weeks I can't even get a comb thru my hair! I think I am going to go back to no lye, plus I haven't had the great results that some of you lucky ladies have, the lye section isn't any softer or shinier than the lye part
Also I figure that I would rather be a little harsher on the hair (ie. no lye) than the scalp (ie. lye) because with a healthy scalp hair grows back but if what my stylist told me is correct and lye is gentler on the hair but harsher on the scalp I'll go back to no lye.
I have my touchup in two weeks so I'm still not 100% on my return to no lye, but I'm pretty darn sure. Anyone else want to share they're results with the switch to lye? anyone considering switching back? I can't be the only one, can I?
</font>

UmSumayyah

Re: I\'m back with Lye Relaxer update!!

You're not alone. Even though I feel that Elucence lye works for me, and that it is more a question of my smoothing technique, I have come to the conclusion that I just cannot relax my own hair.
I have an appointment tomorrow and am going to have the stylist take a look at my hair and explain my hair history to her. If she recommends no lye I am going to go for it and not look back.

pebbles

Hey Emeraldsky, not everyone is happy with the lye relaxers. As long as the no-lye works for you and you've had no problems with it in the past, just stick with it.

L.Mo.

[ QUOTE ]
EmeraldSky said:
<font color="purple"> ...Also I figure that I would rather be a little harsher on the hair (ie. no lye) than the scalp (ie. lye) because with a healthy scalp hair grows back but if what my stylist told me is correct and lye is gentler on the hair but harsher on the scalp I'll go back to no lye.
</font>

[/ QUOTE ]

I had never heard this before, but from my experiences with burnt scalps I guess it's true!! Only thing, wouldn't you want to be more harsh on the scalp (i.e. use lye). At least your scalp is composed of living cells that can regenerate. Once you damage your hair, it's game over.

Just a thought...
interested in the feedback of others. Nonetheless, I agree that you should go with whatever feels best.

katie

I was thinking it is better to be harsh on the hair.Damaged hair can be cut off and regrown but can't a damaged scalp lead to slower hair growth??I thought I read that somewhere

L.Mo.

Hmm... good point, Katie. But then, if you have to cut it off, how can you achieve length?!?

EmeraldSky

Katie,

I had thought the same thing and then I figured that damage to hair from the no lye which from what I understand is dryness due to a calcium buildup, if that happens I can counteract that with moisturizing products and so on whereas damage to scalp can prevent any growth at all potentially forever. I think I would rather have to watch for dryness then damaged hair follicles
But enough about me, how everyone's who switched doing, anyone feel like reporting?

T

Tee

[ QUOTE ]
EmeraldSky said:
Katie,

I had thought the same thing and then I figured that damage to hair from the no lye which from what I understand is dryness due to a calcium buildup, if that happens I can counteract that with moisturizing products and so on whereas damage to scalp can prevent any growth at all potentially forever. I think I would rather have to watch for dryness then damaged hair follicles
But enough about me, how everyone's who switched doing, anyone feel like reporting?

[/ QUOTE ]

A hair dresser I consulted with recommended that a "chelating shampoo" like Joico Resolve be used for the first several shampoos following a relaxer to remove the calcium deposits. This may be worth trying if you go back to using no-lye relaxers.

joemerald

I am with you. I used to relax my hair with no-lye and no problem. Even all over and nounderprocessing and very little burn. Then I heard about the eevils of nolye and was so shocked so I switched. Now I cannot stand the burning and the underprocessing I want to go back. My scalp is extremely sensitive so that does not help. furthermore ihave noticed that i have lost some hair due to overprocessing in some areas. i am thinking about switching back or going to a hairdresser. if i switced back what precautions should i take if any to prevent damage.
jo.