Pulling off cornrows in a conservative work environment...

Soliel185

I wear mine to work and into client meetings. The biggest issue I have is people trying to touch them or just staring wonderingly. I think any style, so long as it is neat and cannot be misconstrued as "radical" should be fine. I either pin the loose hair into a bun, make one large braid, or a low side pony.

Jazzmommy

I work in a conservative corporation and I couldn't get away with cornrows, but I have been able to wear micros which I;ve worn neatly pulled back in a bun or pony w/a nice scarf.

One of the African-American female managers wore cornrows after returning from vacation and people definitely took notice. It depends on company culture as well.

Nonie

I think that there is a big difference between professional, and conservative. Some places are so conservative that you MUST wear heels, you MUST wear stockings with those heels, you MUST wear a skirt suit (no pant suits) and you should not wear ANY bright colors (red, purple, pastels, etc.) In THAT sort of environment, I don't think cornrows would go over well. It has nothing to do with the professionalism of the style, and everything to do with the work environment.

I'm a professional, and I rock cornrows if I feel like it (as well as a BAA, two strand twists, etc, etc, etc) - but I also work in IT in a laid back company. I (and everyone else, I think) was addressing the OP's specific question about a very conservative work environment - not merely professional ones - largely because I feel that ANYTIME you are at work, you should be professional.

Just Kiya, you describe the dress code at First Union National Bank (now Wachovia) in Alexandria. Tights were a must even when wearing pants, even in the summer. No hats or headwraps. Suits were the norm. I don't remember any place where I stressed so much about what to wear especially when I was getting paid peanuts that couldn't even buy me what I was expected to wear. But that style I wore above would have been allowed. I don't know if Wachovia is as strict as that, but my branch had very rigid rules on dress code.

Can someone mention some conservative work environments so I get an idea of what we're talking about?

I think how people put the look together can determine whether the do will fly or now. Like don't go with long swinging extension hair at the end of your cornrows. Keep it "ballerina" neat and sell it by walking tall with the confidence that demands respect, and very soon it will not be such an odd look in that place.