Price of Indian Products

I meet this lady in the grocery store and asked her about the amla. Then her and her mother started talking in their language. She said she had some and more sell it to me for $20. I agreed since I really wanted to try it. And though it was expensive, that was the best investment I made for my hair. I know where to find it now and would never paid that much for it again.

Hi Dlewis,

You mind telling me the location of where you shop for your indian products? I haven't been able to find everything I want online at one store and I vaguely remember a thread about you finding a store somewhere in Jackson.

TIA

Hi Dlewis,

You mind telling me the location of where you shop for your indian products? I haven't been able to find everything I want online at one store and I vaguely remember a thread about you finding a store somewhere in Jackson.

TIA

It's the Petal's Grocery Store located at
Patel Brothers
1999 Highway 80 W
Jackson MS 39204-2305
601-353-6611
the Bel Air shopping center. There is another one off Countyline Rd by Northpark mall. I'll get the address. I'll be right back.

I can't find the other address. Sorry.

Last edited:
There's an area on the east side that has a bunch of indian stores. It's around 28th or 29th between Park and Lex.

Thanks Zora...I'll definitely check that area out!! I hate paying shipping & handeling for online purchases especially these cheap indian products..the s&h costs more than the products! :nono:

It's the Petal's Grocery Store located at
Patel Brothers
1999 Highway 80 W
Jackson MS 39204-2305
601-353-6611
the Bel Air shopping center. There is another one off Countyline Rd by Northpark mall. I'll get the address. I'll be right back.

I can't find the other address. Sorry.

Thanks, that was quick!:spinning:

I commute between bronx and brooklyn regularly and i'd like to know if anyone can suggest where i might find these products, pretty pleaseeeeeeeee:blush:

Does anyone know of any stores that sell ayurvedic poweders/oils in Manhattan...I guess I don't mind travelling to Brooklyn if the prices are cheaper but I'd like to know my alternatives...Thanks

There are 2/3 stores on 28th between Park and Lexington aves and then there are a couple more on Lexington between 28th and 29th.

HTH

I commute between bronx and brooklyn regularly and i'd like to know if anyone can suggest where i might find these products, pretty pleaseeeeeeeee:blush:
Little India in NYC is located between 28th and 30th on Lexington Ave. There a big store on 28th street right next to McDonalds. Take the 6 train to 28th street.

For the poster in Brooklyn who's interested in indian products. In the Midwood section of Brooklyn, there's a strip of Pakistani stores that all sell the ayurvedic products. It's on Coney Island Ave between Foster and Cortelyou Road.

It was not me but im in Brooklyn, I was searching for a bk spot. I had to go to lefferts all the time. TY for posting. I know where you talking about. TY so much.

bumping. I am really interested in your opinions. Do you think Indian women use these products or are we creating a new market for them in the US????

I have a friend from school (who is 23) who uses these products. She's been in the United States her whole life, and relates more to American culture than her Indian culture, but her family uses these products. She said that she never uses conditioner on her hair, just oils. She saturates her hair with the oil and puts a plastic cap on for about 2-3 hours. Then washes it out.

I would suspect that the price increases is more due to the increased price of oil (have ya'll SEEN gas prices) and that's a realllllly long supply chain coming all the way from India....

A couple of black women buying products would't cause the price to increase across the country - and prices of ERRYthing is going up, so I'm not suprised in the least.

Easy drive this morning..back with Shikaki powders, shikaki soap bars,even buy 1 get one shikaki shampoo, large almond oil, mustard oil and an extra Dabur amla lite. The prices have not changed at all. Patels {great chain so I guess they can hold the price line for now} has plenty more but the only coconut oil on the shelf was Parachute not my usual big glass jar.

I would suspect that the price increases is more due to the increased price of oil (have ya'll SEEN gas prices) and that's a realllllly long supply chain coming all the way from India....

A couple of black women buying products would't cause the price to increase across the country - and prices of ERRYthing is going up, so I'm not suprised in the least.

Interesting, thank you. However, we are more than 27,000 strong. If you doubt the power of our dollar and our influence, check the thread about Eqyss introducing a line for humans. That line was definitely the product of OUR desire. I am proud of our power.

Bumping for more replies to my question

Do you think Indian women use Indian products in the US or are we creating a new market for these products?????

My Indian coworkers use it - :lol: - I can smell the amla in their hair. I don't know exactly what products they use, etc, but they definitely do still use it.

The local prices here haven't gone up any, either.

And I'm not doubting our purchasing power, I'm doubting the fact that 'we' caused the prices to go up, roughly the same amount, among hundreds of different stores and distributors and suppliers, for a product. Compared to the number of Indians in America (who started the first demand for the product) 27K ain't a drop in the bucket. There are more people of Indian descent in my city than that. :lachen:
Eqyss is one brand, and if I remember correctly, ladies were emailing them about creating a line for humans. I maintain this is an entirely different situation, and 'we' aren't the reason for the higher prices. I could be right, I could be wrong, but that's my twocents.

Last edited:
My Indian coworkers use it - :lol: - I can smell the amla in their hair. I don't know exactly what products they use, etc, but they definitely do still use it.

The local prices here haven't gone up any, either.

And I'm not doubting our purchasing power, I'm doubting the fact that 'we' caused the prices to go up, roughly the same amount, among hundreds of different stores and distributors and suppliers, for a product. Compared to the number of Indians in America (who started the first demand for the product) 27K ain't a drop in the bucket. There are more people of Indian descent in my city than that. :lachen:
Eqyss is one brand, and if I remember correctly, ladies were emailing them about creating a line for humans. I maintain this is an entirely different situation, and 'we' aren't the reason for the higher prices. I could be right, I could be wrong, but that's my twocents.

Good points, NW. I am always interested in the economic theory of pricing demonstrated in real life. You correctly stated the original demand for the product is Indians. However, as many posters have stated the products in question are often "dusty" and "expired" which you can hypothesize means the current demand from the original population is small. In addition, most Indian grocers are small business owners who keep a close watch on their stock as they can't afford to stock items that don't sell well. In small stores across the country our new demand for these products causes pricing issues. It is, in fact, new demand because we are not Indian which is obvious to the owners. :lachen::lachen: Small owners restock, the issue is: Are price increases because the product is more expensive to obtain now or are the prices higher due to the new demand? I agree that Eqyss may have been asked to create a line for humans. However, you made my point because they agreed to reformulate their product based on our demand.

Bumping for more replies to my question

Do you think Indian women use Indian products in the US or are we creating a new market for these products?????

I know the indian women around here us it. You can smell them and you'll know.

I little indian boy in my daughter's class says "you smell good Mrs. Lewis":perplexed That stinky amla

I think some prices here in Atlanta have gone up. Between me and AtlantaJJ, we probably wear those Patel Brothers and Cherian out !
The henna prices have gone up a little and so has vatika oil and amla oil. Shikakai powder is 1.99. BTW, if folks have a hard time finding stuff, I can get it for them and mail it to them.

OT - Hopefulone, how do you use your shikakai powder ?

Back