Advice I got from an Indian lady, not sure about it?

net4721

I was in my local Indian store buying more shikakai and amla powder and the Indian girl who was checking me out suggested that I use mustard oil and coconut oil mixed as kinda of a prepoo for 30 minutes to an hour. Then wash it out with a shampoo called BioAmla. She said the mustard and coconut oils would stop shedding, make my hair stronger, and longer. My question is have any of you heard this or tried it?

Never heard of the mustard oil. My friend, Vineeta who is Indian, soaks her head in coconut oil every night and washes it out in the morning. She said that's and "indian thang".

Here's her hair and it's beautiful- she's the one in the blue/green shirt :)

DSCN0495-vi.jpg

Never heard of the mustard oil. My friend, Vineeta who is Indian, soaks her head in coconut oil every night and washes it out in the morning. She said that's and "indian thang".

DSCN0495-vi.jpg

wow, gawjus hair indeed!

I am wondering if the hair type would determine the benefit from this?

OP it sounds like a good pre-poo treatment. Check all the prepoo-ing with oil threads...

Country Gal - I did buy the oils and shampoo but have not tried it yet. Still trying to decide.

Blossssom - The young that helped has nice hair and was pretty. But thats not to say that all Indians are pretty.

I have heard that one before about the mustard oil. They use that quite a lot and a lot of the indian hair website have that in the hair advice sections. I have tried it before but not long enough to actually say whether or not it works....

Country Gal - I did buy the oils and shampoo but have not tried it yet. Still trying to decide.

Blossssom - The young that helped has nice hair and was pretty. But thats not to say that all Indians are pretty.

They sure to hell ain't.

We got some ugly Indians living in Cali.

that was some beautiful hair, hellz i'd squirt a jar of french's mustard on my head if it would get me to apl.....:spinning:

I was in my local Indian store buying more shikakai and amla powder and the Indian girl who was checking me out suggested that I use mustard oil and coconut oil mixed as kinda of a prepoo for 30 minutes to an hour. Then wash it out with a shampoo called BioAmla. She said the mustard and coconut oils would stop shedding, make my hair stronger, and longer. My question is have any of you heard this or tried it?

I would like to try this:look:

If the Indian girls's hair looked healthy and striving - I would give it a try!

At the very least - a pre-poo treatment is never going to damage your hair.

I think I will try it on my next wsh day and I'll get everyone posted. And if anyone wants to know she said to mix equal parts mustard and coconut oil. And thanks for the responses.

If you google "mustard oil" + ayurveda, you'll get lots of results for how and when to use mustard oil.

Yes, I've heard of the mustard oil thing many times. It's suppose to be really good for the hair. I came really close to ordering some the other day, but when I heard about the smell, I removed it from my cart :ohwell: I just can't be bothered with stinky products :nono:

If I didnt hate the taste, smell, and look of mustard I would try this. Yeah, Yeah, I know this is mustard OIL but I am just picky like that. :spinning:

DSylla, does your friend oil her hair with the coconut oil each night or does she literally soak her hair in a bowl of coconut oil?

Back