Poll: Naturals, how did you get through the awkward stage?

Naturals, how did you get through the awkward stage?

• twists/braids with own hair

Votes: 82 36.8%
  • twists/braids with extensions/added hair

Votes: 72 32.3%
  • roller sets

Votes: 13 5.8%
  • bantu knots

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • wash-and-go

Votes: 66 29.6%
  • wigs

Votes: 35 15.7%
  • hats/head wraps

Votes: 28 12.6%
  • Something else?

Votes: 40 17.9%

• Total voters

prettypuff1

Well i called myself getting weaves back to back, but since my last install cost me $300 and it only lasted 6 weeks, I think not.

I think i will be braiding out with scarves until further notice....

MichelleMyBelle

Man, I'm still trying to figure out the awkward stages. I never felt my hair had an awkward stage and I have BC'd 4 times. I've been natural since '94. I loved every stage of hair growth. I never felt any stage was awkward.

iprocrz108

I started my transition in November '07 and was at APL when I began. Since then, I have cut my hair twice and I am now at SL and I estimate that my hair lenght is 80% natural. During my transition I have been using rollersets and silkwraps to get through the awkward stage and it has been working very well for me. I now have an angled bob and what I plan to do is trim the relaxed ends as my hair grows out and eventually phase out the angle for a straight bob that can be styled/stylish when naturally curly or straightened.

Rastafarai

Many ladies find the hard part of going natural is the stage where hair is too long to be a TWA, too short to put in a bun or puff.

How did you get through the awkward stage of being natural? Did you change your regime as well as the style? What motivated you to "hang in there"?

You can vote for more than one choice in the poll.

Lots of flat twisting and just exploring different styles with pretty accessories.

Also, lots of wash & gos. Shrinkage was really embraced during this stage. :yep:

missykeyana

This is my second time going through this phase and my best friends have been clips and headbands. I mostly wear twist/twistouts and wash and gos.

BostonMaria

I voted a few months ago, but I just wanted to add that I am BSL and 14 months natural - I still have awkward curly hair. If I wear my hair straight its fine, but if I do a wash and go my hair shrinks up and will look like a mullet. I think its because my nape area is loose and the middle (which is shorter) shrinks up more and is curlier. I am hoping that waist length hair will get me out of this stage. I could cut my curly hair, but dry it would look awful.

goldenchica

i just walked around looking crazy until i grew out of the akwards stage... :lachen:

That's exactly what I'm doing...and that's why I started this journey when I did: exactly 2.5 years til graduation...I can look crazy all I want at this White school for college :lachen: But once I graduate, it's on and POPPIN'!:grin:

ALWAYZL8

I'm ready for a bun. I don't have enough length just yet, but hopefully I'll have it in a couple more months.

Leeda.the.Paladin

I thought I posted on this thread, but guess not...

Anyway, I still consider myself to be in an akward stage and I'm doing twists/twist outs and fingercoils with the occasional wash n go/puff.

Lady Kay 21

I've been in twists for the past five months, so hopefully when I take them out I'll be past the akward stage and will be able to do othe styles besides a wash and go fro.

Casarela

I was rocking a short twa when I BC however once I got enough hair so that my hair can hold a darn extension I got braids on and off but mostly back to back. At this point, Im really unsure , I want braids extensions for the freedom and low mani however taking them out is a pain. So I was thinking a weave ...but the cost ...mmm I dunno ....people trying to reach in between the tracks mmm I dunno im thinking of twists but whos going to do it? me ? I doubt ...Cornrows...mmm..nah I have a big forehead.

mscocoface

I did just about everything BUT heat! Well with the exception of deep conditioning.

Lots of prayer and learning patience was the key. I kept learning and reading everything I could get my hands on with regards to healthy hair and my hair type.

Truth be told, I still think I am in the awkward stage even though I have some length now.

almond eyes

I have done the BC many times after learning that relaxers and fine hair don't mix. For the last time, I wore braid extensions but not because of an awkward stage but to grow out the damaged parts of my hair and relaxer. Then I had to stop wearing braid extensions because my hair could not take the tension and the lack of moisture penetrating to my hair.

What I learnt is to love my hair at each stage and length. My friend who started her locks in 2002 took five years before they began to show any length. The point is that if you have slow growing hair or have problems retaining length, you have to just work with what is on your head and make it work or else you may wind up with four years of awkward hair. This is why I would not call it an awkward phase. When one learns how to manage their hair and do hairstyles (and know the tricks, hats, scarfs and wigs) that suit them its not awkward anymore.

Best,
Almond Eyes

kimmy89

I am in that stage right now but I am wearing braids and etc to get past this stage sometimes it makes me upset but I know at the end of the day it's all wroth it

This is exactly how I feel, I've been braiding for ages and its getting on my last nerves, i love my natural texture, but i just want it longer.
braids are getting on my nerves too. I may try a sew-in...

chebaby

my hair is a twa and i get a puff just fine. its not an actual pony puff but its the hair in the front slicked back and the hair in the back slicked up with a goody band. it actually makes my hair appear longer than it is.

Oasis

grabbing life by the pussy
Puffs, box braids or flat twists in the front with it out in the back or twists.

I'm so ready to be out of this stage.

RubyWoo

Great thread!

I'm currently going through this stage. I'm sticking with twists for a while and giving twist outs a break since the weather here is getting much cooler. I'm also going to start wearing a wig in the winter. I'm very anxious for a change and hiding my hair will give me a chance to stop obsessing over growth/length.