poll: best air dry style for relaxed hair

poll: which is best for airdrying relaxed hair: bantu knots or braids

• bantu knots

Votes: 6 18.2%
  • braids

Votes: 20 60.6%
  • use the dryer - it'll save time and frustration (pls share your experience)

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

blessedandlucky

i'm attempting to airdry...again. i don't have rollers for a rollerset so it'll either be bantu knots or braids. which is best? my hair is 4a relaxed and i'm almost 5 weeks post relaxer.

i would also really appreciate any tips for airdrying in these styles. thank you so much, ladies!!

what works for me is
1. Apply my leave in on towel dry hair.
2. Apply my moisturiser.
3. Seal with oil
4. Tie a silk scarf.
When i do this my hair air drys soft. Oh yeah, i am a 4z too and currently 13 weeks post.
HTH

I just did this on the weekend......2 braids and scarf on the top ....my hair dried really soft and waves on bottom..... I would have worn it as a style/braid out but I wanted to do something else so it worked well...

hth

also, i'm almost 12 weeks post

Last edited:
I tried to airdry again (no success previously) because I'm waiting on my Pibbs. Needless to say, I remembered why I don't do it. I had a head full of tangles when I did an airdryed braidout, despite the fact that I fully detangled it before i put it in braids.

I had better luck when I airdried in a rollerset this week. I detangled with olive oil and loaded my hair up with the Mizahni nightime moisturizer and sealed with lots of olive oil and then rolled it up. It was still damp in the morning, so I quickly blew some warm air on it with a handheld dryer (3-5 min total) and added more Mizhani and oil. It was still wet when I went to work, but I hoped that the extra moisture and oil would control the frizziness that I normally get with airdrying.

I'm amazed that my hair came out really soft and shiny after this process. The only drawback with this method was that I was like the "Soul Glo" family in Coming to America because I had so much oil in my hair yesterday that I had a grease stain on the back of my suit jacket!!!! But that was yesterday, and now my hair has absorbed a lot of the extra oil. Today it's soft and very manageable, especially considering that I'm 7 weeks post.

Hope this helps!

I can't airdry. My hair turns out tangled and brittle with a lot of fuzzies around the hair line and it's just a big old mess. To prevent that I have to slather on what seems like entire containers worth of leave ins. Needless to say, I prefer the dryer.

Your hair looks long and beautiful, whatever you do it's working. If you've had success with the dryer why stop now? HTH

I usually separate my hair into 4 sections, then spritz with my moisturizing mix (aloe vera juice, castor oil, some vo5 conditioners, and distilled water), apply my leave in (HE LTR), then seal with Vatika. I then braid them, or separate the front ones and do 4 cornrows and 3 in the back. My hair always dries silky and soft, and the coconut oil in the Vatika adds a healthy shine. HTH :yep:

Like the other poster said, I towel dry, detangle, apply leave in, mositrizer, seal with oil and shea butter, and put it back in a pony tail which I then braid. It works for me and I airdry 90% of the time. I also airdry in a braid out, but when I do so, I make sure that I use a decent amount of moisturizer on the braid out, and I don't COMB THROUGH IT!! Using a bit of moisturizer I finger fluff and style for about a week! This works for me!

Like the other poster said, I towel dry, detangle, apply leave in, mositrizer, seal with oil and shea butter, and put it back in a pony tail which I then braid. It works for me and I airdry 90% of the time. I also airdry in a braid out, but when I do so, I make sure that I use a decent amount of moisturizer on the braid out, and I don't COMB THROUGH IT!! Using a bit of moisturizer I finger fluff and style for about a week! This works for me!

^^Thanks for saying that. I forgot to add it when I posted :drunk:

I just did this on the weekend......2 braids and scarf on the top ....my hair dried really soft and waves on bottom..... I would have worn it as a style/braid out but I wanted to do something else so it worked well...

hth

also, i'm almost 12 weeks post

I also do this for almost every wash; just wash, 2 braids, scarf, sleep.
I've also been banding lately, but I don't know how that would work if your hair is relaxed bone straight.

2 braids and scarf on the top ....my hair dried really soft and waves on bottom.....

I do this too.

Also, banding is good too.

But if you want a curly look the bantu knots work well. Just keep in mind how many knots you do. The more you do will result in more/tighter curls. I usually do about 5 total and it's still very curly on my length. Then I just rock a headband with it.

Last edited:
I don't airdry in braids, bantu knots or use the dryer.

I put my hair (leav-in applied) up in a ponytail and tie my scarf for at least 30 mins then I let down my hair and let it dry completely. If I'm doing a braidout, I do my cornrows when my hair is at least 80% dry...

I blow dry , lol

If I have a fresh relaxer, I will dry in a wrap ...

No air dry here ... doesnt work for me

^^Thanks for saying that. I forgot to add it when I posted :drunk:

Oh you are welcome. For my hair, and everyone's might be different, combing through a breakout would mean breakage galore...

[who here likes busta rhymes, remember rhymes galore]

breakage galore...breakage galore.

OK, I'm crazy and need to get off the computer..

I voted for braids. I cowash almost everyday and I airdry 99% of the time. I always apply my "leave in" (sunsilk hydra tlc regular conditioner) and then seal with castor oil. These are the only products I've been able to use that don't leave my hair dry. After applying the leave in and oil I separate my hair into two sections and braid each side. I sleep on satin pillow case and when I wake up I apply gel to the edges and then tie down w/ a scarf for 15-20 min. while I'm getting ready.

I voted for braids although I used to air dry my hair in two or four ponytails in a two strand twists on each ponytail. This worked for me for many years when I was avoiding direct heat in my regimen. My hair was much healthier and I retained more length then.

I just towel dry my hair, spritz with avocado mist to detangle, put in my leave in conditioner and finger through with vatika oil. I put my hair in one pony tail without braiding until it is dry. My hair is very dry, so I will finger comb through as it dries and add more moisture if needed. When it's completely dry, I will braid it and tie it up with a silk scarf. HTH

Braidouts or Dry in a pony with my pony in a braid.

They both take about 24 whole hours to dry that way, lol

Bantu Knots take longer, LOL

wow. i'm really disappointed that there aren't more responses...oh well, i'll figure it out.

Hey there! I don't have anything really constructive to add. I am wondering the same thing you are. I am following this discussion so I can get some tips. I am "experimenting" with my airdrying and so far I have not come up with a style that I would actually go out in public with. Wish I could be of some help to you........

I usually air dry many different ways

1 i air dry 50% then add leave in and a little oil then do six french braids going back with curlers on the ends it gives soft spiral waves then i push back with head band

2 two pony tails one on top other on bottom and then i band all the way down to the ends when i take them out the next day i put in one pony it looke like a naturally curly ponytail i put the bands a little closer than the picts though and i use ouchless bands or you can do your hair like the pick if you want waves see below for banding it also can be done on relaxed hair

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=254587

3 in a pony scarf method if im stretching fold scarf to a little tight pin hair up push back
then let loose back to dry hanging down

4. twist outs do twists going back like you would do cornrows about eight to ten i have pics in my kiss album

www.keepitsimplesista.ning.com

under member camilla
** if i am going to flat iron i comb hair straight down with a wide tooth with part either in middle or side depending on how i will wear my hair comb to get smooth with my shampoo comb (wide tooth) then VERY gently with a rat tail comb to smooth air dry then flat iron

Hey there! I don't have anything really constructive to add. I am wondering the same thing you are. I am following this discussion so I can get some tips. I am "experimenting" with my airdrying and so far I have not come up with a style that I would actually go out in public with. Wish I could be of some help to you........

i am at work and youtube is blocked look at the tutorial by
alraines

she has a QUICK braid out tutorial:grin: i do this often

i would do bantu knots BUT i have eo practice i did them once and it did now come out so good

i am at work and youtube is blocked look at the tutorial by
alraines

she has a QUICK braid out tutorial:grin: i do this often

i would do bantu knots BUT i have eo practice i did them once and it did now come out so good

Thanks!!! I am taking all the advice and pointers I can get!!!:grin:

I air dry loose for as long as possible and then when im going to bed I do two bantu knot like things in my hair. Sorta like bunned pig tails and I go to sleep and wake up with nice subtle waves. Oh and I moisturize with NTM silk touch then I seal with a blend African 6 oil or whatever and then this oil mixture I got from dollar tree.

Last edited:
i've been doing flat twists with hawaiian silky leave-in cut with water. it airdrys really pretty and soft

Back