PINK OIL MOISTURIZER....WORST PRODUCT OF ALL TIME????

tsturnbu

Hey ladies,

i just did a perusal of the thread about the worst product of all time. looks like Luster's pink oil moisturizer won!!! I remember i used this alot when I was a kid( pre-LHCF), and it made my hair feel yucky. It smelled, made my hair hard, and made my hair really heavy and greasy.

I was wondering, has ladies out there had any good experiences with this oil? it is pretty cheap, and I haven't used it in a while, I was thinking i would reconsider...maybe my hair will like it this time around.

Thoughts ladies?

It worked for me as a child.
Besides "Wild Root" & water it
was the only thing that
was used on my hair
but I mostly wore my
hair in plaits... so...
No... I would never
use it again... ORS Olive Oil
is my staple.

I did.:look: It kept me at shoulder length and did the job. It WAS heavy but it kept me shiny too.

The reason why I wasn't past shoulder length WASN'T because of PO it was because of me and my excess heat usage and my wrapping addiction. It would be silly to blame all my hair problems on PO.

I stoped using it because the hair boards scared me off, but one day I went and used some since I was over at my mom's house and had nothing else. Worked just how I rememberd it. Made my hair smooth, greasy, and shiny, but it did the job.

It's not that bad IMO. I believe a lot of the hate for this stuff is the crowd mentality.

...seems like you might as well use engine oil on your hair! that stuff is sooooo greasy. It's the kind of stuff you put in your hair and then you be like, "Why did I just do that?":mad:

To me it just felt like it sat on top of my hair but never really penetrated it, if you know what I mean.

I used it in highschool and it worked for me. I used to love that stuff actually. This was during the time I was obsessed with heat and using heat everday. My hair was dry, dry, dry and the Pink oil moisturizer used to quench my dry hair with moisture. It's not something I'd use now because it is heavy(I never used to care about that back then) and I'm not big on oil based moisturizers on my hair. I prefer water based moisturizers.

I personally dont like it, it's too heavy/greasy for my hair and it doesnt smell so hot. But my SO's mother uses it, her hair is natural 3b APL unstretched and she loves it. Her hair is always pretty so maybe its the texture and amount one uses?

I've used it all my life up until about 5 years ago. don't really know why i stopped..just did one day.

LocksOfLuV said:
It's not that bad IMO. I believe a lot of the hate for this stuff is the crowd mentality.

ITA. The only reason I stopped using it is because I found stuff that worked better.

I don't know if I would classify it as the worst. I would say it's been abused most of the time. I know I did back in the day when I would put globs in my hair to get the shine when all it did was make it sticky and nasty to the touch.

I think if it's used in moderation like other moisturisers it could be effective.

Lusa said:
I don't know if I would classify it as the worst. I would say it's been abused most of the time. I know I did back in the day when I would put globs in my hair to get the shine when all it did was make it sticky and nasty to the touch.

I think if it's used in moderation like other moisturisers it could be effective.

Great points!! I used to use soo much of that stuff!

I don't really remember using it on a regular enough basis to qualify it as the worst product of all time. I am thinking of getting a sample of it because other Luster's Pink Oil products work for me.

Bingo! to the red part. That's exactly why I hated it and exactly why I stopped using it.

Crowd Mentality? My opinion is based on personal experience, and to me it was the worst. I'm not going say it was great, good or even barely useable when, for me, it was none of those things.

I wish I could:spank:the 'genius' who thought up that ooey, gooey, greasy crap. Not that serious:lol: But for real:look:

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. Their new formula might be great...*Shudders*

tsturnbu said:
Hey ladies,

i just did a perusal of the thread about the worst product of all time. looks like Luster's pink oil moisturizer won!!! I remember i used this alot when I was a kid( pre-LHCF), and it made my hair feel yucky. It smelled, made my hair hard, and made my hair really heavy and greasy.

I was wondering, has ladies out there had any good experiences with this oil? it is pretty cheap, and I haven't used it in a while, I was thinking i would reconsider...maybe my hair will like it this time around.

Thoughts ladies?

Last edited:
I stop using it about 5/6 years ago, went on the natural hair product quest. before that i had used it for about 15 years with no problems.

I started using it again this winter gone, for blow drying my hair, its the only thing i find that protects my hair against the heat.

I also use it to slick back my wet ponytail.

I do love this product, it use to be my only product.
I would like to get it back to that, when i have finished using the million and one products i have brought and have stashed in my cupboard.

I have wasted to much money on hair products these last few years :-(

I remember it working really well on my human hair invisible braids.

I also remember it leaving my real hair a greasy, smelly, stinky, sticky, gummy, oily mess.

Prior to my LHCF days, someone told that Pink Oil was just for people with "good hair"; therefore, I shouldn't use it. Years later, I tried a sample of it, and the PO did not do anything for me. I just figured it was because I did not have 4a, 3c, 3b, or 3a hair. Oh, well! I guess that I was wrong!

I used it when I was little and I don't remember it really doing damage to my hair....I will never forget the smell though!!!

cutiebe2 said:
I used it when I was little and I don't remember it really doing damage to my hair....I will never forget the smell though!!!

I feel like little kid with little nappy hair remembers the smell. Hahah some kids remember mom's apple pie, I remember my mom's Pink Oil. Hahahaha :lol:

It was never all that bad for me. :look:

I never used it for base moisture, though. It was always good for me to get a little shine from.

I can see it being bad exclusively for moisture, though.

Kinda like Vitapointe. That stuff would suck if I used it for moisture. But, as a styling cream for shine - :love:

I have horror stories for days about this stuff. My Mom bought this stuff for me when I started doding my own hair. To sum it up...curling irons and pink oil = fried hair. It also made my face look shiny all the time.

It wasn't all that bad for me. My mom used it in my hair before I was relaxed (8th grade). After that, I didn't like much oil in my hair. Now that I'm natural again, I may go buy some. It seemed to work well when I was younger. Maybe that's what's missing for my natural styles.:confused: When I don't flat iron my hair, it seems so dry. It's like nothing will work. You ladies are putting ideas in my head. It may be ok if I don't use a whole lot.:confused:

Pink oil and a vo5 hot oil treatment once a week was all my mom used on my hair growing up. It was very thick, long and healthy soooo I guess it must have worked on my hair at least :ohwell:
Have not used it since I was about 12 though.

I've said before how horrid the stuff is.

Now Locs has me rethinking it (how persuasive you are!) and wondering... I mean during that time I rarely washed my hair. Maybe once every 4 weeks or so :barf: I know, I know. Bad hair advice... and my solution to any hair problem was to pile gobs and gobs of PO on. Plus I self-relaxed, poorly. What product could make my hair look good under those circumstances?

You have me ready to try the pink satan all over again! It is only like $2 a bottle...

My natural 4a hair quite liked it. I used to apply it after washing and conditioning and it made it really easy to comb. I haven't used it for a while but I still have some in my stash.

joyousnerd said:
I've said before how horrid the stuff is.

Now Locs has me rethinking it (how persuasive you are!) and wondering... I mean during that time I rarely washed my hair. Maybe once every 4 weeks or so :barf: I know, I know. Bad hair advice... and my solution to any hair problem was to pile gobs and gobs of PO on. Plus I self-relaxed, poorly. What product could make my hair look good under those circumstances?

You have me ready to try the pink satan all over again! It is only like $2 a bottle...
I think I may give it another try as well.

Back